Why is Larry Coker being admitted to the Hall of Fame?

Should Coker be let into the Miami Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 44 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.3%

• Total voters
Advertisement
I respectfully disagree. Ask yourself this. If Saban retired tomorrow and Alabama wins the national title next season, then return to mediocrity within 5 years, would that replacement coach be a HOFer? I sure as **** don't think so. The University of Miami made a huge mistake in hiring Coker, because a real HOF coach not only would have won the title in 2001, but 2002, and possibly beyond. He sure as **** wouldn't have been in charge while the program burned like the Springfield tire fire.
he won a national championship as HC and played for another. the better question is how do you not put the guy in the school HOF???

Advertisement
apples to oranges. the NFL is a league. we are talking about the School HOF. notice coker isn't getting in the college football HOF any time soon.
Still a crappy list. He “won” a title about as much as any random fan. That team could have won a title with you as head coach. His true coaching ability was shown, and he was fired for what he really was. A bad, bad head coach.

Imagine if Schiano hadn’t left yet and he became head coach.

Any difference? Better off? Worse?

Advertisement
Coker has more national titles than Butch David.

Erickson is in the hall for winning with Jimmy's players.

If any old bum can win the title because his team is the most talented, then how come Saban gets a pass for not winning the title every year?

Imagine if Schiano hadn’t left yet and he became head coach.

Any difference? Better off? Worse?
I always find this topic interesting.

Personally, I think Schiano could have kept the ship afloat a little longer than Coker did even though I'm not a huge fan of his. Seems like Schiano would have done a better job on the recruiting trail than old Larry. Just MHO.

I always find this topic interesting.

Personally, I think Schiano could have kept the ship afloat a little longer than Coker did even though I'm not a huge fan of his. Seems like Schiano would have done a better job on the recruiting trail than old Larry. Just MHO.
I don’t know. Larry went all out to get Willie Williams.

I don’t know. Larry went all out to get Willie Williams.

And so did almost ALL of the rest of NCAA Colleges and Universities coaches....EVERYONE wanted WW!!

So I don't blame him for that..

He can be blamed for consistently bringing in so many duds not just one that almost every team judged as a future allstar

Advertisement
And so did almost ALL of the rest of NCAA Colleges and Universities coaches....EVERYONE wanted WW!!

So I don't blame him for that..

He can be blamed for consistently bringing in so many duds not just one that almost every team judged as a future allstar
Yeah, everyone wanted the guy that couldn't stay out of trouble. WW was a mess, and everyone knew it. And no, not everyone wanted him. Everyone wanted his talent, but not his issues, because some people knew his issues would keep him from reaching his talent potential.

His recruitment was a circus, and Coker eventually won the booby prize.

I don’t know what they’d do at Alabama - totally different place and totally different circumstances. Just an incredibly bad comparison. That coach would be coming in after Saban winning like 4-5 NC’s. How does that even compare?

Even then, I don’t know, maybe they would induct him in their HOF even if he won just one NC just like Coker did, no matter what happened afterward.

But this is Miami, Coker was coach during one of our 5 NC’s and was cheated out of another. He’s paid his penance, there was enough blame to go around for everything that’s happened, and I see this as a recognition of that one accomplishment more than anything else.

I don’t have a problem with it.

It’s a done deal anyway. Nothings going to change it.

Word!

Unless you're comparing the biggest log of sh$t in two broken sewers, no need to compare Alabama to ANYTHING.

Advertisement
Yeah, everyone wanted the guy that couldn't stay out of trouble. WW was a mess, and everyone knew it. And no, not everyone wanted him. Everyone wanted his talent, but not his issues, because some people knew his issues would keep him from reaching his talent potential.

His recruitment was a circus, and Coker eventually won the booby prize.

C'mon quit it man. Its not worth it to me to argue with someone trying to change history.

YES just as I said .."And so did almost ALL of the rest of NCAA Colleges and Universities coaches....EVERYONE wanted WW!!"

Stop trying to act as if Coker was ALL alone in wanting WW, because he wasn't. Fact is, the number of offers WW got from highly regarded coaches was astronomical.

IMO Because Coker recruited and got WW does not pass any test of reasonableness as to why he shouldn't be in the HOF.

You don't like him fine...Its obvious..

Bottom line. Enough reasonable people feel that his one, shoulda been two NC's qualifies him, so Coker's getting into the University of Miami's HOF. I'm fine with it

Last edited:
C'mon quit it man. Its not worth it to me to argue with someone trying to change history.

YES just as I said .."And so did almost ALL of the rest of NCAA Colleges and Universities coaches....EVERYONE wanted WW!!"

Stop trying to act as if Coker was ALL alone in wanting WW, because he wasn't. Fact is, the number of offers WW got from highly regarded coaches was astronomical.

IMO Because Coker recruited and got WW does not pass any test of reasonableness as to why he shouldn't be in the HOF.

You don't like him fine...Its obvious.. Bottom line. He's still getting into the University of Miami's HOF
We talking about the same Larry Coker that was fired for running the program into the ground? He inherited a Ferrari, and left us with a Yugo. If that's HOF material to you, I just won't agree with you. I'm fine with that.

We talking about the same Larry Coker that was fired for running the program into the ground? He inherited a Ferrari, and left us with a Yugo. If that's HOF material to you, I just won't agree with you. I'm fine with that.

YES

One, shoulda been two, NC's in a row overcomes a lot for me. Evidently it also does for the many other reasonable people who vote for who enters the HOF

So I just won't agree with you . I'm fine with that....and even better, I have no need to keep complaining about this done deal because it changes nothing in my world. It's like talking about getting a new on campus stadium, or why we ended up 6th in recruiting instead of #1.

Coker's in the Miami HOF. As a reasonable person....you'll adjust

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back