Why is Larry Coker being admitted to the Hall of Fame?

Should Coker be let into the Miami Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 44 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.3%

• Total voters

5nationaltitles

Recruit
How do you let a coach you fired into the Hall of Fame? I don't know how many other schools even have a Hall of Fame, but does any other school seriously let in a coach they fired?

Coker basically lucked into the job because Davis left in late January and there probably weren't a lot of coaching options at that point. About 71 months later, he had gone 8-8 and presided over 2 massive brawls in his last 16 games, and was out as UM coach after a one point win over Nevada.

Advertisement
I don’t know what’s worse, your bltchy whining about him being inducted into the hall of fame - after all, like it or not, he did enough to not ***** up the 5th title. Which is a huge deal. Or your sense of entitlement thinking anyone cares enough to get all worked up as you on a horrific 39th post.

Think through your 40th post a little more.

Yes, he should, but only in the category called “Chair warmers.”

He was not a candidate for coach as I recall, until the players approached the admins to express their confidences in him. Although the players were right in the short term in not wanting a stranger coming in and causing disruptions, in the long run, Coker‘s incompetence got exposed.

That was a special group of players that took winning seriously, and could practice on their own.

Yes, he should, but only in the category called “Chair warmers.”

He was not a candidate for coach as I recall, until the players approached the admins to express their confidences in him. Although the players were right in the short term in not wanting a stranger coming in and causing disruptions, in the long run, Coker‘s incompetence got exposed.

That was a special group of players that took winning seriously, and could practice on their own.

I'm a little skeptical of how many coaching options the admin actually had when Davis left so late. OU after Bob Stoops is the only other time I've heard of a team having to find a new coach so late. And OU like Miami promoted their OC to head coach.

The players lobbying for Coker might have played a part but I think its relevance is pretty overblown.

Advertisement
These are the coaches currently in our Hall of Fame. Hard to get too worked up over a 2 time National Champion in Clappy getting in if Ferne Labati is enshrined.

20180310_000916.png

Advertisement
Next time you walk down the halls of the University of Miami Hall of Fame just ignore his plaque.

How do you let a coach you fired into the Hall of Fame? I don't know how many other schools even have a Hall of Fame, but does any other school seriously let in a coach they fired?

Coker basically lucked into the job because Davis left in late January and there probably weren't a lot of coaching options at that point. About 71 months later, he had gone 8-8 and presided over 2 massive brawls in his last 16 games, and was out as UM coach after a one point win over Nevada.

Just for fun, say Bowden had hung on another year or two and fsu had been forced to fire him, you'd say he shouldn't be in their hall of fame?

The answer is in your screen name.

Advertisement
I don’t know what’s worse, your bltchy whining about him being inducted into the hall of fame - after all, like it or not, he did enough to not ***** up the 5th title. Which is a huge deal. Or your sense of entitlement thinking anyone cares enough to get all worked up as you on a horrific 39th post.

Think through your 40th post a little more.
I respectfully disagree. Ask yourself this. If Saban retired tomorrow and Alabama wins the national title next season, then return to mediocrity within 5 years, would that replacement coach be a HOFer? I sure as **** don't think so. The University of Miami made a huge mistake in hiring Coker, because a real HOF coach not only would have won the title in 2001, but 2002, and possibly beyond. He sure as **** wouldn't have been in charge while the program burned like the Springfield tire fire.

Advertisement

Greater issues in this world that I am more concerned with....One in particular is this male *** dating ads that keep popping up on this site

I respectfully disagree. Ask yourself this. If Saban retired tomorrow and Alabama wins the national title next season, then return to mediocrity within 5 years, would that replacement coach be a HOFer? I sure as **** don't think so. The University of Miami made a huge mistake in hiring Coker, because a real HOF coach not only would have won the title in 2001, but 2002, and possibly beyond. He sure as **** wouldn't have been in charge while the program burned like the Springfield tire fire.

I don’t know what they’d do at Alabama - totally different place and totally different circumstances. Just an incredibly bad comparison. That coach would be coming in after Saban winning like 4-5 NC’s. How does that even compare?

Even then, I don’t know, maybe they would induct him in their HOF even if he won just one NC just like Coker did, no matter what happened afterward.

But this is Miami, Coker was coach during one of our 5 NC’s and was cheated out of another. He’s paid his penance, there was enough blame to go around for everything that’s happened, and I see this as a recognition of that one accomplishment more than anything else.

I don’t have a problem with it.

It’s a done deal anyway. Nothings going to change it.

I don’t know what they’d do at Alabama - totally different place and totally different circumstances. Just an incredibly bad comparison. That coach would be coming in after Saban winning like 4-5 NC’s. How does that even compare?

Even then, I don’t know, maybe they would induct him in their HOF even if he won just one NC just like Coker did, no matter what happened afterward.

But this is Miami, Coker was coach during one of our 5 NC’s and was cheated out of another. He’s paid his penance, there was enough blame to go around for everything that’s happened, and I see this as a recognition of that one accomplishment more than anything else.

I don’t have a problem with it.

It’s a done deal anyway. Nothings going to change it.
You're right. The TALENT Butch left behind is light years ahead of anything Bama has had.

One of the best parts of The U Part 2 was Najeh's reply to what Clappy did in '01, "Nothing".

Advertisement
Back