Why is Larry Coker being admitted to the Hall of Fame?

Should Coker be let into the Miami Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 44 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.3%

• Total voters
Look at the coaches on the list now. Based on that he’s in. The NC gets him in, in any objective measure if you take the emotion out. But you’re entitled to your opinion, of course.

But the opinions that count, those of the people on the selection committee, indicate he deserved it, and they hold the weight. So people can rant and rave all they want, he’s in, and that’s not going to change. So...that’s that.
Yep. And the opinions of the people that hired him meant they were right as well, right?

Advertisement
Yep. And the opinions of the people that hired him meant they were right as well, right?

Seems like you’re kinda being obsessed and bitter now. Am I wrong?

Coker ended up being a mess, but he was who he was. I don’t hate. Let it go. He’s in. At the end of the day, the bumbling old fool was a cane. We can’t go back in time and change history. We got number 5. Be thankful and move on.

Seems like you’re kinda being obsessed and bitter now. Am I wrong?

Coker ended up being a mess, but he was who he was. I don’t hate. Let it go. He’s in. At the end of the day, the bumbling old fool was a cane. We can’t go back in time and change history. We got number 5. Be thankful and move on.
Giving Coker HOF status is like everyone getting a participation award. You seem obsessed with defending the failure.

If he gets no credit for the offense and the wins because he had incredible talent, therefore shouldn't Dorsey be gigged for play with such incredible talent.? Getting ready to duck.

Advertisement
He should be in the HOF in the same vein that Derrick Crudup is a national champion.

The only difference is that I *like* Derrick Crudup.

People hated it when Dennis The Menace got in because he was partly responsible for deep-sixing the program in the 90's.

Yes, he won with JJ's guys. But he did it twice. No other coach here has done it twice.

So begrudgingly, yes, I will admit he should be in. So should Coker.

I might catch heat for it, but Randy Shannon should be in as well. For his contributions as both a player and a coach.

Shannon in the Hall of Fame? Jesus. He was not a great player and nobody would remember his playing days if he hadn't later become coach. He was a solid DC but not a spectacular one. He was the worst head coach between Carl Selmer and Al Golden, and solidified our decline that had begun under Coker. Always remember that Shannon closed out the Orange Bowl with 48-0.

Then you must be arguing that the pass interference call was legitimate. I hold the view of many others...we won "6" National Championships, but one was stolen away. I've come to learn that this blog is only happy when they are tearing down the Canes football program; be it former coaches, current coaches, former players, current players and everybody in between. There have been many teams who have had stacked rosters that did nothing due to poor coaching. The hate party line that Coker only warmed a seat is preposterous. Larry Coker earned the right to be in the UM Coaches Hall of Fame and it is something Canes fans should celebrate...not denigrate.

PS: Later, he also earned the right to be fired!

If the officiating had been better we would have lost the OSU game in regulation. If replay had existed in 2002 this catch by Gamble would have been ruled in bounds and OSU runs out the clock. And although I've seen teams get away with worse, no.22 on Miami arguably should have been called for pass interference on this play.

Last edited:
Here's why I don't care about letting a 2x national champion in Clappy into our Hall of Fame- one with standards (per that list of people that are already enshrined) that aren't exactly Canton-esque.

Sure, Clappy started this program on its decade plus slide into mediocrity with his lazy national-centric recruiting and his general mediocrity as the CEO of the program. But that slide was sure as **** accelerated by the corches and administrators that followed him too- many that had ZERO to do with the back to back national championships.

And at the end of the day, Ol' Clappy left this program and (unless I'm forgetting something) hasn't sued it, badmouthed it or took a job somewhere and negative recruited against it. So let him have his day and fade off into the sunset.

Giving Coker HOF status is like everyone getting a participation award. You seem obsessed with defending the failure.

Except it’s not a participation trophy. It’s the real thing. You’re wording your arguments really badly. It’s like you’re sabotaging yourself.

Last edited:
Advertisement
ask guys who played when he was hc what it was like. even in the NC year, he was walking around practice while soldinger, mark, etc were running the show as position coaches.

Except it’s not a participation trophy. It’s the real thing. Your wording your arguments really badly. It’s like you’re sabotaging yourself.
Looking at that list of coaches, it **** sure looks like one. Keep defending Coker if you wish. HOF caliber coaches don't get fired the way he did, so any HOF he is a part of is a joke.

I can't believe Art Kehoe is in the Hall of Fame. God he might be the worst offensive line coach of all time. Basically all of his lines sucked except for 2001. And even in 2001 the offensive line was the worst position on the team.

Looking at that list of coaches, it **** sure looks like one. Keep defending Coker if you wish. HOF caliber coaches don't get fired the way he did, so any HOF he is a part of is a joke.

Whatever. It’s not your HOF. It’s their call. Honestly, if you want to be that triggered about it, write a letter, organize a petition, maybe go blow some raspberries at the induction if you want to be classless.

If they weren’t to induct him, it wouldn’t bother me either. I’d feel about the same as they do about him being inducted. It’s exactly the same to me.

Advertisement
Whatever. It’s not your HOF. It’s their call. Honestly, if you want to be that triggered about it, write a letter, organize a petition, maybe go blow some raspberries at the induction if you want to be classless.

If they weren’t to induct him, it wouldn’t bother me either. I’d feel about the same as they do about him being inducted. It’s exactly the same to me.
Their decision isn't triggering me. Your defense of their idiocy is.

Advertisement
Greater issues in this world that I am more concerned with....One in particular is this male *** dating ads that keep popping up on this site

Umm, you do know that the ads you see are pushed to you based upon your browsing history-don't you?

My ads are all for Miami gear.

Advertisement
Back