Why is Larry Coker being admitted to the Hall of Fame?

Should Coker be let into the Miami Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 44 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 44.3%

• Total voters
How do you let a coach you fired into the Hall of Fame? I don't know how many other schools even have a Hall of Fame, but does any other school seriously let in a coach they fired?

Coker basically lucked into the job because Davis left in late January and there probably weren't a lot of coaching options at that point. About 71 months later, he had gone 8-8 and presided over 2 massive brawls in his last 16 games, and was out as UM coach after a one point win over Nevada.

Don Shula was fired...

Advertisement
No, IMO he doesn't deserve it, but I don't feel many of those names there do either. Seems like it's more of a participation award by looking at who is on it. I guess there's your case for him being included. It most certainly isn't an elite list like it is with the players.

I like Coker though as a person. He is the nicest coach we may have ever had. Richt may be that way, but I haven't met him personally, so I cannot say for sure. I am happy for him as a person.

Advertisement
?

Would you rather WIN a Championship with a so so coach?

OR

NOT WIN a championship but have a hghly regarded coach?

Have Championship Results OR get great press clippings? Hmmmmm

I'll prefer & take the Championship EVERY time!!

Get me a championship and all is forgiven......for a while....those press clippings may mean something usually only to that coach... but winning a championship means a lot more to the University and its fans forever.

So however he did it, smoke, mirrors, black magic, or by doing nothing at all, he did it!!

So for bringing us something that we'll always treasure, he belongs.

Last edited:
It's a ******* travesty of humanity if he goes in the Canes HOF before Butch Davis the GOD!

Fvck clappy.

Advertisement
If the officiating had been better we would have lost the OSU game in regulation. If replay had existed in 2002 this catch by Gamble would have been ruled in bounds and OSU runs out the clock. And although I've seen teams get away with worse, no.22 on Miami arguably should have been called for pass interference on this play.

shut the fvck up ***aloon

Coker National Championships- 1
Coker National Championship appearances- 2

Butch National Championships- 0
Butch National Championship appearances- 0

Advertisement
DBC could of coached that team to a title, Naj said he didnt do **** so i believe that

Everyone knows. All the players at the time. All the coaches at the time. All the fans at the time.

Except for the **** faces. It's some weirdo schit.

I am pretty sure we saw how Larry Coker actually coached when all that talent was fading away. He sucked without all world talent, and he had no clue how to get the most out of what he brought in, or even how to identify the right talent for what he was trying to accomplish. Never forget, we had our punter taking WR reps in practice because of his recruiting. He was a horrible head coach, and the further away he got from Butch's talent, the worse he looked. Coincidence? Really? I will always believe a better coach wins, actually wins, the first two titles, then at least competes for more. Not only did we stop competing for more, but we looked like straight up trash towards the end. A HOF coach doesn't let that happen to a program. Now it's one thing had he been the coach to build it, but he wasn't.

Coker is a good guy, and I wish he'd have won more and could have stuck around a lot longer. He couldn't, and he deserved firing. When I think of HOF coaches, I think of Howard and JJ. Butch, maybe, for building that monster from absolute ashes. Remember, Butch built that team from literally nothing. Coker took the greatest assembly of talent in history and ran it into the ground. If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you.
Ignore earnest. He’s kinda out there.

I am pretty sure we saw how Larry Coker actually coached when all that talent was fading away. He sucked without all world talent, and he had no clue how to get the most out of what he brought in, or even how to identify the right talent for what he was trying to accomplish. Never forget, we had our punter taking WR reps in practice because of his recruiting. He was a horrible head coach, and the further away he got from Butch's talent, the worse he looked. Coincidence? Really? I will always believe a better coach wins, actually wins, the first two titles, then at least competes for more. Not only did we stop competing for more, but we looked like straight up trash towards the end. A HOF coach doesn't let that happen to a program. Now it's one thing had he been the coach to build it, but he wasn't.

Coker is a good guy, and I wish he'd have won more and could have stuck around a lot longer. He couldn't, and he deserved firing. When I think of HOF coaches, I think of Howard and JJ. Butch, maybe, for building that monster from absolute ashes. Remember, Butch built that team from literally nothing. Coker took the greatest assembly of talent in history and ran it into the ground. If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you.

Many people hate Butch Davis the God because of me. I'll take the blame.

He was the 3rd best coach we ever had here behind Schnelly and Jimmy.

Haters will always hate it because they ain't it.

Advertisement
"Haters will always hate it because they ain't it."

Couldn't have said it any better.

Davis had his chance to win a NC or two with that magnificent team he built.......Instead, he chose the Cleveland Browns and $$$.

No matter what the reasons for his leaving were, His life, his choice.

We *****ed and moaned about how he left, and in the end sadly waved goodbye. BUT our lives didn't stop because he left. We got back to doing what we do best, what we were made to do. Winning Championships.

So someone took what he built and finally gave us what we wanted the most ..winning another championship, was cheated out of winning still another. Could care less about someone who wasn't actually here when we won, the coulda, woulda, shoulda's, who was the better coach etc etc. Only that we won the NC.

I liked Davis, I wish he had stayed, was he a better coach? probably ..But can you imagine how the fans and the players would have reacted if he tried to join them onstage and share the credit & limelight while they celebrated their championship winning season after he left them?

So sorry, Davis had his chance. He made his choice

So "To the victor goes the spoils" Davis was not the victor...Coker, no matter how you feel about him, was.
The team won it under Coker
At Miami, Championships talk, ...everything else walks
Live with it

Last edited:
Many people hate Butch Davis the God because of me. I'll take the blame.

He was the 3rd best coach we ever had here behind Schnelly and Jimmy.

Haters will always hate it because they ain't it.
Yep. He was hired away by the NFL. Coker was fired. It's not hard to see the difference. Butch had his faults, for sure, but he built the program back from pure trash. 35 scholarships down, and he still built the best team ever assembled. Coker inherited a mansion full of priceless treasure, and turned it into a trailer park, yet people like to pretend just because he took a selfie in front of said mansion, before it was run down, that he deserves credit for its construction. It's just plain weird. So it took him a few years to destroy it, instead of simply burning it down the day he took possession. That, to me, doesn't make him a HOF coach.

"Haters will always hate it because they ain't it."

Couldn't have said it any better.

Davis had his chance to win a NC or two with that magnificent team he built.......Instead, he chose the Cleveland Browns and $$$.

No matter what the reasons for his leaving were, His life, his choice.

We *****ed and moaned about how he left, and in the end sadly waved goodbye. BUT our lives didn't stop because he left. We got back to doing what we do best, what we were made to do. Winning Championships.

So someone took what he built and finally gave us what we wanted the most ..winning another championship, was cheated out of winning still another. Could care less about someone who wasn't actually here when we won, the coulda, woulda, shoulda's, who was the better coach etc etc. Only that we won the NC.

I liked Davis, I wish he had stayed, was he a better coach? probably ..But can you imagine how the fans and the players would have reacted if he tried to join them onstage and share the credit & limelight while they celebrated their championship winning season after he left them?

Sorry, He had his chance. He made his choice
So "To the victor goes the spoils" Davis was not the victor...Coker, no matter how you feel about him, was. The team won it under Coker
At Miami, Championships talk, ...everything else walks
Live with it
Actually, he was robbed of a shot at it in 2000. We were #2 in every poll. Also, how the **** was he going to win a title before 2000? You do remember the scholarship restrictions, right? 35 scholarships down and he still built that team to where it could win and compete for titles from 2000 to 2002. Every single one of those kids were Butch Davis recruits. For the love of God, even players have said Coker did nothing. He stayed out of the way and let Butch's players play. That was fine for a year, almost two, but the further away we got from Butch's players, the worse we got. Coincidence? Really? Had Butch stayed, there's little doubt in my mind we'd have kept winning. We did beat #1 in FSU that year. Also VT, which was ranked quite highly. Then we curb stomped a quality UF team, under Butch.

Let me ask you a simple question. Had Larry Coker been hired in 1995 and had 35 scholarships taken away, how would the team have turned out?

Advertisement
Back