Why don't we run more?

Advertisement
While I’d definitely like to see more balance, more important to me is abandoning the play action. Who are you fooling when you’re in the bottom of the nation in rush attempts?

DJ Dallas look a like a dead pro and should be getting utilized more. Running (if successful) also shortens the game, which we should be striving for. Our drive count should be closer to Army’s than Oklahoma’s if we want to finish this season strong.

We don’t need to reverse our run-pass ratio. We need to get it more in balance and in line with the rest of the country.

We have one of the better backs in the country, and a young OL who would rather run block than pass block. I can’t see a reason the ratio is so out of whack.

I've posted this theme seemingly forever. Running went away as soon as Al Golden showed up, and has never returned.

Randy Shannon obviously had many faults but at least he understood that a warm weather balanced offense should indeed be balanced instead of tilted so severely to the pass compared to our contemporaries. You've got posters here insisting year after year that we are overly run oriented. It is comical. These are our national rankings in rushing attempts per game, going backwards from 2019 to 2009. You'll notice we don't even threaten to be middle of the pack all the way back to Shannon's final season in 2010 (46th).

113th, 88th, 115th, 112th, 120th, 102nd, 111th, 114th, 94th, 46th, 66th

Actually I have no idea why I would be surprised, given the salivation here over Mike Leach and his 16 rushes per game.

That is now exactly 10 fewer rushes per game than second to last in the country...129th Hawaii 26.50, 130th Washington State 16.50

Advertisement
Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing yards called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?

@DMoney I agree the run would help the passing game and the oline alot. Some games I watch and I see the secondary is playing back 10-15 yards and I'm thinking run but in todays offense a quick pass is basically a run play 5-7 yard catch. Would like to see what 3 run plays in a row would do for this offense lines confidence. Also keep this in mind DMoney this team has so many play makers if you run 30 times a game on Sunday someone would post we dont pass enough. I think Enos is trying to see what this offense does well. New qb, new offense, two freshman oline so many new parts. I like what I'm seeing. Once it click be prepared for 40-50 points a game as the norm going forward. We're close real close I can see it.

Last edited:
We were down 28-7 at halftime. Running the ball would’ve been counter productive to say the least.
Okay, did we run the ball in the second half after we caught up? No. We didn't have the running scheme designed to mask our OL weakness. I agree with DMoney.

Advertisement
They gave up four sacks against CMU.

We aren’t going to turn into ‘95 Nebraska. The question is, how do we protect our OL? That’s running the ball more, preferably out of spread looks given the weakness at FB and blocking TE, and calling more quick hitters outside.

If it's gonna be out of a spread look, then finde, give it a try. But it seems more likely we'll just get more2 TE and run up the middle or that sweep nonsense that completely failed against UVA. I don't have a problem with running more if Enos can figure out how to make it work, but thus far it looks like a loser. Not to say the pass game has been great, but we're unable to block the type of runs Enos seems to like.

I'm in favor of whatever a rational person would do when confronted by the fact that a D is stuffing what he's tried so far.

Why don't we run more?

forrest.gif

If everybody is *****ing about too much passing I dont ever want to see mike leechs name come up here again lol
Remember we want to implement the AirRaid offense..Dream Miami offense is a spread Air Raid/Wisconsin power run game..of ****, that’s a multiple offense..I take that back

Advertisement
Simply put. This oline can’t dictate **** along the LOS. I think we are best at 55-45 or 60-40 in run/pass ratio. In a perfect world u want to be as close to 50/50 as possible. That tells you your winning on 1st and 2nd down..

I have noticed this about our line when a couple of them pull they get ate up.but when they fire out put hat on hat they sometimes do get a push.as for pass/run ratio flow of the game will dictate that.good coaches have to feel the flow of game and call plays according to the flow.

Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing yards called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?
We should run the ball out of spread formations. This OL just doesn't give us much choice. I would also like to see us experiment with wider splits in the offensive line. I don't have a problem throwing the ball as much as we have. What I have a problem with is the schizophrenic way Enos has run the offense. I don't like the way he slows us down going from Shotgun to under center right after a few big plays in a row out of the gun. Lastly I don't like the way his offense suppresses our explosive athletes.

Advertisement
We should run the ball out of spread formations. This OL just doesn't give us much choice. I would also like to see us experiment with wider splits in the offensive line. I don't have a problem throwing the ball as much as we have. What I have a problem with is the schizophrenic way Enos has run the offense. I don't like the way he slows us down going from Shotgun to under center right after a few big plays in a row out of the gun. Lastly I don't like the way his offense suppresses our explosive athletes.
wider splits is something Leach did at Texas Tech and that made the running plays more effective.. it helped create running lanes easier.

Because playcalling is an art and we treat it like it's paint by number.

When we find something that works, we check that box and attempt other things we'd like to work, but don't.

Oh, but don't worry: we'll come back to what previously worked later - when the defense most expects it because we're desperate.
Sad but true.

Playcalling is not complicated .... find the right plays to attack the weakness of the D. and keep the D off balance and guessing.
and the O creates weaknesses in the D by formation and creating mismatches.

Because yet again we have a staff that thinks they are the smartest guys in the room!!! Yea let’s keep blaming the players for not ”executing” those failed plays before they even happen. #wecursed

Advertisement
Back