Why don't we run more?

Virtually every time you run the football in 2019, it’s a net negative. We should actually be throwing more than we already do. But it should be done intelligently, not out of bunch formations and on long developing play action passes. The last couple drives were the best of the night on Friday. Short passes that allow your athletes to make people miss (Hi, Mark Pope). And off that you run inside zone when you want, and take shots when you can. Deejay’s per carry average is great, I’ll bet the rushing success rate this year is not nearly as good.

Net negative in yards but the running game is still about the war of attrition and TOP.

Advertisement
We don’t need to reverse our run-pass ratio. We need to get it more in balance and in line with the rest of the country.

We have one of the better backs in the country, and a young OL who would rather run block than pass block. I can’t see a reason the ratio is so out of whack.
I'm unconvinced it'll work consistently with this line.

Advertisement
How is our pass blocking?

Also sucks, but when we throw quickly at least we have a shot at positive yardage. Even our OL can keep the QB up for a few seconds. What they can't do is move even the smallest human being from a spot he's decided he'd like to continue to occupy.

I'm being honest here, I don't see anything that makes me think we'd be any good if we ran more. I think the only reason it works at all is we don't do it much and we catch the D napping. If they know we want to run 60% of the time we're fckd.

Also sucks, but when we throw quickly at least we have a shot at positive yardage. Even our OL can keep the QB up for a few seconds. What they can't do is move even the smallest human being from a spot he's decided he'd like to continue to occupy.

I'm being honest here, I don't see anything that makes me think we'd be any good if we ran more. I think the only reason it works at all is we don't do it much and we catch the D napping. If they know we want to run 60% of the time we're fckd.
Exactly

Advertisement

They moved people just fine against UF and North Carolina. They also had effective runs against UVA.

We do need more quick hit passes but nothing is easier than a handoff.

LMAO. The funny part about this is that there’s still some NFL teams who actually believe this (the bad ones, obviously).

You still have to keep DE's honest with the run game. You still have to control the clock. There are still open air stadiums with rain/snow/wind/bitter cold.

196AB22D-A7D9-41A5-98E6-301513CEB037.gif

We’re probably not running much because we get stuffed too much in the run game. It’s a lot of feast or famine.

I don’t trust the run game design anyway watching us leave the backside DE completely unblocked on slow-developing run plays. UVA with a couple 6’5 plus pterodactyl DEs with tremendous athleticism just repeatedly untouched and walking down our RBs for TFLs. Sad stuff.

Advertisement
Honestly....what the team's personnel is screaming for a true hurry up, spread offense. To be specific, a spread offense with nothing but quick hitting routes like slants, shallow crosses, bubbles, and quick hitches. A clever OC would combine that with sneaking in some go routes right behind those routes to keep opposing teams honest.

THAT is something this O line could handle. The issue is Enos is about as stubborn on offense as Onfrio was on defense.

We don’t need to reverse our run-pass ratio. We need to get it more in balance and in line with the rest of the country.

We have one of the better backs in the country, and a young OL who would rather run block than pass block. I can’t see a reason the ratio is so out of whack.
If they’re as hellbent on running the ball as you say they aren’t necessarily showing it. They got mangled by sorry 2 star slugs from cmu.

It’s simple. Enos doesn’t actually like to run the ball. An explosive passing offense gets him a head coaching gig faster.

Advertisement
The two Super Bowl teams last year ran the ball a ton (both top 10 in rush percentage).

The Rams had probably the best OL in football last year and the Patriots were a run first team for the first time under McDaniels last year, and have reverted back to their bread and butter quickly this year.

DMoney did the ratio get thrown off to a more pass happy offense because of being down early in the VT game and behind in others late ? I agree why let the D pin their ears back and rush.

We’re probably not running much because we get stuffed too much in the run game. It’s a lot of feast or famine.

I don’t trust the run game design anyway watching us leave the backside DE completely unblocked on slow-developing run plays. UVA with a couple 6’5 plus pterodactyl DEs with tremendous athleticism just repeatedly untouched and walking down our RBs for TFLs. Sad stuff.

This. Deejay has been really good, but feast or famine is correct. He’s had several long runs, many simply due to his own will and determination, but we also get stuffed a ton and get off schedule. Can’t do that with a young QB and an OL who can’t block a soul. The first and last drives on Friday were who this team should be. Quick passes, screens, get the ball to your kids in space, and run inside zone when you have a light box. The play to Pope wasn’t exactly cutting edge design. It’s called, “My guy is better than your guy, watch” and the play goes for 30 yards. Bad OL or not, calling plays with vastly superior athletes is really not difficult. This guy is making it way harder than it needs to be.

Advertisement
Back