Why don't we run more?

Show me a coach who has ever drawn up a play where the OL is standing around looking for someone to block while the QB gets pile driven into the turf. None of them design plays like that.

Ultimately, the good ones find a way to get their players to execute what they’re teaching, and the bad ones don’t. The bane of the failing coach is always, “The players aren’t executing!”.
Hear hear.

Advertisement
Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing runs called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?

This my only problem with Enos. He does not establish the run. Which is the exact opposite on what Diaz says he wants of the offense "a physical downhill running team"

This my only problem with Enos. He does not establish the run. Which is the exact opposite on what Diaz says he wants of the offense "a physical downhill running team"
If it’s not working are you going to keep running into fronts to where they are loading the box? Seems counter productive imo

Last edited:
Advertisement
We're already one of the most pass-heavy teams in the nation and we're still not backing up the safeties or putting up points.

They don’t back up the safeties.

They often back up the corners.

That’s why we got to spread them out. Our guys don’t get enough push in tight boxes but can create creases when the defense has to cover laterally.

They don’t back up the safeties.

They often back up the corners.

That’s why we got to spread them out. Our guys don’t get enough push in tight boxes but can create creases when the defense has to cover laterally.

I'm with you on spreading it out to run. This was the best our running game looked like last year:

All our offensive woes stem from poor OL execution. The UF game was very winnable only had the OL played P5 ball. Even without play action, if we can establish an aerial threat consistently, the defense is on it's toes and a running game has a better chance of success throughout a game.

Advertisement
I'm with you on spreading it out to run. This was the best our running game looked like last year:

There's no doubt that is our best option at this point.

In addition, we need quick hitting running plays to reduce the EXTREMELY minimal time our OL can even represent like they are about to block somebody.

What amazed me is also the quick pass game that we had for ONE entire series this year that worked so well. It worked so beautifully, that we decided never to go back to it. We fit in a few runs there nicely because they were sitting on slants and quick outs. It kind of reminded me of one Richt drive a few years back where we just kept feeding the wide out to the left like 3-4 times in a row because they just wouldn't defend it...

I get that Enos wants to run a bunch of different **** and have us multiple, but we just CAN'T be that right now. The the goal should be to be as unpredictable as possible within limited formations designed to reduce the need for powerful or sustained blocking up front, because we don't own either.

We're already one of the most pass-heavy teams in the nation and we're still not backing up the safeties or putting up points.
It only makes it worse when you constantly employ tight bunch formations inviting extra defenders in the box and then try to run out of that. We make things a lot harder on ourselves. Spread out and create mismatches with the inclusion of more space. It will make everything better

Click bait.

You know **** well teams are stacking the box.
If they're stacking the box because they know our O line is our weakness, how can we best make them suffer for that choice?

Because we're not doing that as well as we should.

A better question would be why don't we punt on first down?

This OL is a ******* disaster.

Advertisement
Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing runs called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?

Because Enos

Why do we run so much play action when we show no threat of running?

Because Enos

We’re probably not running much because we get stuffed too much in the run game. It’s a lot of feast or famine.

I don’t trust the run game design anyway watching us leave the backside DE completely unblocked on slow-developing run plays. UVA with a couple 6’5 plus pterodactyl DEs with tremendous athleticism just repeatedly untouched and walking down our RBs for TFLs. Sad stuff.
That's what happens when you run a slow developing play wide while waiting for our blocks to set up. We've also gone to the jet sweep with Thomas too often, teams are ready for it.

The best results have been when we get north-south quickly and start running down hill. It also makes the blocking scheme easier.

Because Enos

Why do we run so much play action when we show no threat of running?

Because Enos
Because the intent is not get the LBs to bite on a running play but to cause a moment on indecision to give the receivers a chance to get separation. But that works only if we go dink and dunk. If we take a seven step drop and go downfield, the defensive hesitation is wasted.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Are you kidding me? How is run blocking our strength? We couldn’t run the ball at all early in the season if it was for a couple of big runs that broke out due to poor tackling or Dallas making plays

Show me a coach who has ever drawn up a play where the OL is standing around looking for someone to block while the QB gets pile driven into the turf. None of them design plays like that.

Ultimately, the good ones find a way to get their players to execute what they’re teaching, and the bad ones don’t. The bane of the failing coach is always, “The players aren’t executing!”.
I think both are true. The players aren't executing, and it's Enos' job to get them to or draw up something they can do. I just don't think the players should get a pass, they're part of the problem too.

I think both are true. The players aren't executing, and it's Enos' job to get them to or draw up something they can do. I just don't think the players should get a pass, they're part of the problem too.

No pass for the players.

They just have limitations.

We see what those limitations are, but don’t plan accordingly.

There are things we do that are much more successful than others. We need to do them more and build on them.

We run the ball best north and south from spread formations. We don’t do it enough.

We pass the ball best with quick drops and rpo from spread formations. We don’t do that enough either.

Bill Bellicek could wake up tomorrow and decide the Patriots are gonna run the Paul Johnson option offense. They wouldn’t win another game. But it wouldn’t be all Bill’s fault because all the players have to do is execute, right?

Advertisement
Back