Why don't we run more?

Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing runs called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?

Because we are just as bad at running the ball...Just at is skewed by stats it is skewed by Dallas's long runs where he broke many tackles...He gets in the backfield every other attempt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It only makes it worse when you constantly employ tight bunch formations inviting extra defenders in the box and then try to run out of that. We make things a lot harder on ourselves. Spread out and create mismatches with the inclusion of more space. It will make everything better

the **** Brock. You’re a top 5 poster on the board now. Why can’t our corching staff learn from you?

No pass for the players.

They just have limitations.

We see what those limitations are, but don’t plan accordingly.

There are things we do that are much more successful than others. We need to do them more and build on them.

We run the ball best north and south from spread formations. We don’t do it enough.

We pass the ball best with quick drops and rpo from spread formations. We don’t do that enough either.

Bill Bellicek could wake up tomorrow and decide the Patriots are gonna run the Paul Johnson option offense. They wouldn’t win another game. But it wouldn’t be all Bill’s fault because all the players have to do is execute, right?
I'm not talking about guys failing to making stupid plays work like smart plays, I'm talking about blocking the guy you're supposed to block. I'm talking about catching the ball that hits your hands. I'm talking about tackling the guy you can get your hands on. Just basic football stuff.

Yes, Enos isn't running enough of what works because he's too busy trying to force what doesn't. ALSO, players aren't doing their jobs with enough consistency.

When we ran on early downs vs UVA & their rushers were in the backfield by the time the ball was handed off.

We ran (from under center 😡) multiple outside Zone runs that were immediately sniffed out & resulted in TFL's because the backside went completely unblocked & the DE/LB just walked into the backfield & hit Deejay.

Our most successful run plays came when we ran out of the Shotgun & was quick hitting straight up the middle. When we try to run the ball on the outside it almost always gets shut down, or when Cam breaks one on the outside it gets called back for holding every single time.

We don't have the OL to be a Run first team, our best formula for success with our skill position players is Pass to setup the Run out of the Shotgun, running an uptempo Spread system.

The reason why our run game can get shut down so easily by a garbage team like CMU, is because we try to run out of I Formation & Single back looks from under center as if we're Wisconsin, BC, or Iowa or some sh*t.

Enos is running a B1G 10 "Pro-style" Offense while having an ACC Spread style personnel... Square peg in a round hole sh*t, Classic Miami ineptitude smh.
behind .....

Completely agree Liberty, if we ran out of the spread after short passes to allow for a combined rushing attack we would succeed at a much better clip than we currently do. I’m hoping at season’s end that Manny gets done with this Enos experiment and Sends him packing. There’s no way I believe Dan can adjust to a “spread coast” type offense he so eloquently coined during the off-season. Bring in someone like Bedenbaugh to oversee things and let’s actually ride with a system that matches our player personnel. Just as Manny adjusted defensively

Completely agree Liberty, if we ran out of the spread after short passes to allow for a combined rushing attack we would succeed at a much better clip than we currently do. I’m hoping at season’s end that Manny gets done with this Enos experiment and Sends him packing. There’s no way I believe Dan can adjust to a “spread coast” type offense he so eloquently coined during the off-season. Bring in someone like Bedenbaugh to oversee things and let’s actually ride with a system that matches our player personnel. Just as Manny adjusted defensively

@CaneDog66 , @Liberty City El . For real , For real. I give Kudos to Manny making changes on Defense... (That's his baby!) so he put stop to it and realize this not what Miami is accustomed to on Defense. Now on offense Goodness - Enos is so stubborn I agree. He is ****ing me off! I expect better from him from his long tenure and knowledge on offense. Spread these boys out, quick passes here and there let the Wr's get up field (Against Va Cavs -IT WORKED) , couple shots down the field , combine with a rushing attack we would be cookin! I wouldn't mind if we had a couple roll outs and quick draws with Perry. I saw him tuck in run when nothing was there on a couple and I jumped out of my seat like a proud dad lol.

Advertisement
Mallory is a liability in the run game. When he is in the game and they run a sweep to his side, he gets completely blown up most of the time. Go back and watch the Virginia game. It was bad. He makes Zion look like an AA when it comes to edge blocking. If we are going to keep running 2 TE sets, Irvin needs to see more time. Especially if the game plan is to establish the run.

Mallory is a liability in the run game. When he is in the game and they run a sweep to his side, he gets completely blown up most of the time. Go back and watch the Virginia game. It was bad. He makes Zion look like an AA when it comes to edge blocking. If we are going to keep running 2 TE sets, Irvin needs to see more time. Especially if the game plan is to establish the run.
If Mallory is such a horrible blocker, then the OC is a mongoloid for consistently calling plays that require him to block.

Mallory is a tremendous plus sized athlete who could help any team in the country if used in a way that maximizes his strengths. Using him a lot as an in-line blocker is presumptive proof of mongolism.

If Mallory is such a horrible blocker, then the OC is a mongoloid for consistently calling plays that require him to block.

Mallory is a tremendous plus sized athlete who could help any team in the country if used in a way that maximizes his strengths. Using him a lot as an in-line blocker is presumptive proof of mongolism.
And therein lies my biggest complaint with Enos thus far. Put guys in position to succeed.

We need to play Irvin with Brevin more and give him an occasional target so it doesn’t telegraph the run.

He isn’t the receiver Brevin and Will are, but he can make a catch for five to ten yards so the defense can’t cheat run when he comes in.

Advertisement

Tremendous plus sized athletes can block defenders. If he can't block, then there are questions about his athleticism.

Either way, it's the same message board schtick all over the country. Every team in America would be great if the "OC would just call better plays". But people here think they're unique, with special insight.

Agreed. The Jordan jet sweep comes to mind. Mallory is put in a position he cannot succeed time and time again.

They need to use Irvin on some goal line situations whether its blocking or running a routes..... at least ! Even put in Hodges in the H-Back set.
These two are useful in my eyes.

Advertisement
Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing runs called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?

Probably has something to do with falling behind 28-0 in 2 of our first six games. I don’t disagree, just sayin that will skew the data a tad.

This doesn’t support D$’s overall hypothesis. And it certainly doesn’t lend credence to the notion that our OL likes to run block.

Batch Barry’s hiring continues to cause befuddlement amongst rational thinkers.

Advertisement

What happened on the other twelve carries? Those count, too.

The big plays will be there if you stay committed. We saw it the first two games of the year against better teams than CMU and Virginia Tech.

The sacks are killing drives which means Enos’s pass-heavy offense isn’t scoring points. We need to protect the OL and running the ball more is a way to do it.

The big plays will be there if you stay committed. We saw it the first two games of the year against better teams than CMU and Virginia Tech.

The sacks are killing drives which means Enos’s pass-heavy offense isn’t scoring points. We need to protect the OL and running the ball more is a way to do it.
I agree those runs count for sure. I’m fine with running more if we are doing it in the right formations. If it means more increased runs out of tight and i formations sets then I personally Don’t see how that helps us because imo that exposes their weaknesses as lineman even more so. Space the defenders out which will allow you to move extra defenders out of the box and then run

Last edited:

You can’t count on 40 yard runs. How many you think he’s gonna have in a year? Again, the problem is not running more. The ratio is fine. It’s the plays that are called that makes up those runs and passes. Running out of 12 is not smart. For one, Mallory is an awful blocker. So you bring another awful blocker in-line to add to the other 5 awful blockers. Then you put 7-8 guys in the box by bunching up the field, which isn’t the end of the world if you didn’t have a team of awful ******* blockers.

Spread the god**** field. Run inside zone. Run the quarterback on designed runs. Run sweeps to your good athletes. Use the **** advantages you have and help out the weaknesses. We do the opposite half the time. Recognize your personnel and adjust. Just pounding the ball more out of 12 and 21 personnel isn’t the answer.

Advertisement
Back