Who's the greatest Head Football Coach, and why, in The U's glorious history?

TheU 4ever

Sophomore
In no particular order:

• Howard Schnellenberger
  • Jimmy Johnson
  • Dennis Erickson
  • Butch Davis
  • Andy Gustafson

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I, myself, am partial to Irl Tubbs or Charles Tate.
Charlie's (HC: 1964-70) best years were 1966 (8-2-1) and 1967 (7-4). The rest of the years his record was not great (19-21-2). He was a historic coach at Miami High were his team's exploits were iconic. Irl Tubbs only coached 2 years at The U (HC: 1935 & 1936). His record was 11-5-2. Best year was 1936, when he was 6-2-2.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gotta be Schnellenberger. None of this happens without him. He didnt just change the U, he changed college football

Actually, none of this happens without Lou Saban. Saban started the process, he gave Howard something Lou sure as **** didn't have when he got to Coral Gables: Legit talent on the roster. A lot of those early guys that Howard won with were recruited by Saban. Guys like Jim Kelly, Jim Burt, etc. Those guys helped give Howard a legit base to start off with. I think that in regards to impact, Howard tops the list. That said, when it comes to X's and O's and overall program management, Jimmy was the guy. Jimmy managed to take a national championship program and take it to the next level. A lot of people thought Howard was a one year wonder, Jimmy made Miami into a program to be reckoned with year in and year out. He was so great at his job that Erickson was able to coast to two titles in three years, despite being a pathetic drunk.

How much was his fault, and how much was Tad Foote's fault? As an AD he could only go so far, the rest is up to the University's President and BODs.

How much was leaving the OB Shalalalala's fault and how much does she get blamed for it?

It's the AD's job. Y'all seem to think the President does basically every single job at the University.

Charlie's (HC: 1964-70) best years were 1966 (8-2-1) and 1967 (7-4). The rest of the years his record was not great (19-21-2). He was a historic coach at Miami High were his team's exploits were iconic. Irl Tubbs only coached 2 years at The U (HC: 1935 & 1936). His record was 11-5-2. Best year was 1936, when he was 6-2-2.
Sounds like two HOF coaches to me.

Advertisement
Back