Who's the greatest Head Football Coach, and why, in The U's glorious history?

Mark Richt... His contribution to the IPF, his forcing the administration to start paying salaries commensurate with the rest of college football giving UM the ability to compete for coaching talent and building a roster that’s ready to compete talent-wise, and his willingness to walk away from his substantial buyout.

“Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.”
He did some great CEO type off the field coaching but he was possibly the worst game day coach I've ever seen. His story could have been WAYYY different if he got a good offensive coordinator.

Advertisement
JJ no more to be said except he had Butch working under him digest that!!!
They Both Built Dynasties....Two of which that had teams that made CFB what it is today, and quite frankly, what its been for 35yrs...

1. Schnells
  2. JJ
  3. Saban (the talent he recruited clearly set us on a new path)
  4. Davis
  5. Erickson - I agree with others that he doesn't get enough credit. Even though he inherited a juggernaut, it's still very impressive to win two MNCs and his offense was very innovative

While I ranked Butch fourth, the job he did was incredible (given the brutal circumstances he inherited). He built a monster while having one hand tied behind his back. He could only accomplish what he did by hitting on a super high percentage of his recruits (given the severe scholly reductions he had to deal with). Convincing some of the greatest players ever in CFB history to sign with the Canes under the dire circumstances was one **** of a recruiting job. It's amazing actually.

Go Canes!

Not that he was the greatest coach here. I think we need a shout out to Lou Saben because without his vision of recruiting the local kids Howard would not have stepped into a packed team and in fact Howard might not come here at all. Thinking was back then that Howard knew he was stepping into a packed roster ready to win

Advertisement
No one guy. Schnelly and Jimmy Together. Schnelly started it but Jimmy took it to heights unseen and took the notice Howard served and intensified it to Cat 7 levels.

JJ. He had success at the collegiate and pro level. The guy is the don of Miami football

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back