Who's the greatest Head Football Coach, and why, in The U's glorious history?

Advertisement
Charlie's (HC: 1964-70) best years were 1966 (8-2-1) and 1967 (7-4). The rest of the years his record was not great (19-21-2). He was a historic coach at Miami High were his team's exploits were iconic. Irl Tubbs only coached 2 years at The U (HC: 1935 & 1936). His record was 11-5-2. Best year was 1936, when he was 6-2-2.
But to answer your questions seriously, I’d say JJ.

Advertisement
How much was leaving the OB Shalalalala's fault and how much does she get blamed for it?

It's the AD's job. Y'all seem to think the President does basically every single job at the University.
Sam Jankovich had many a fight with Tad Foote! They disagreed on many, many issues, and so did JJ with Dr. Foote. In my opinion, leaving the OB was a combination of Dr. Shalala & the City of Miami Commission's fault (since the Commission did not want to renovate the aging stadium).Whether Sam had an opportunity to have a say, or was interested in staying at the OB, is not clear to me.

Sam Jankovich had many a fight with Tad Foote! They disagreed on many, many issues, and so did JJ with Dr. Foote. In my opinion, leaving the OB was a combination of Dr. Shalala & the City of Miami Commission's fault (since the Commission did not want to renovate the aging stadium).Whether Sam had an opportunity to have a say, or was interested in staying at the OB, is not clear to me.

Your opinion is wrong. The damage was done YEARS if not decades before Shalala was hired.

Hidden star behind most of those coaching supernovas on the list...was Sam Jankovich....Agreed, none of it happens w/o Howard here to get the ball rolling, but Howard (or JJ or Erickson) isn't/aren't here without Jankovich's foresight....

Sam just ran into JJ in elevator. JJ more or less hired himself. Howard has to be the man. He took us from nothing to the top and remade college football. JJ was more a Cane and I love him but ahoward has to get the star.

Advertisement
Agree to disagree! Tad Foote started it, but my opinion based on close observation stands.

Dude. This is not an opinion. Shalala had NOTHING to do with fixing it. The offer presented by the city was wholly untenable for the University from a financial standpoint. The damage was long done by the time the discussions were broached.

Greatest Head Coach ever was Barney Johnson - but he got kilt in a car wreck his second day of work, and that's why no one's ever heard of him.

Advertisement
Dude. This is not an opinion. Shalala had NOTHING to do with fixing it. The offer presented by the city was wholly untenable for the University from a financial standpoint. The damage was long done by the time the discussions were broached.
Did you read what I wrote or do you just comment without reading and understanding. I am not blaming Dr. Shalalala, I stated that it goes all the way back to Dr. Foote. The Miami City Commission had a lot to do with it, no question. Also, do you think that signing a 25 year deal with the Dolphin/Hard Rock Stadium people was good deal? Come on man!! Anyway, this thread is about who's in everyone's opinion the best HC in The U's history.

Advertisement
Did you read what I wrote or do you just comment without reading and understanding. I am not blaming Dr. Shalalala, I stated that it goes all the way back to Dr. Foote. The Miami City Commission had a lot to do with it, no question. Also, do you think that signing a 25 year deal with the Dolphin/Hard Rock Stadium people was good deal? Come on man!! Anyway, this thread is about who's in everyone's opinion the best HC in The U's history.

I read that your opinion is that Shalala was at least partially culpable. I'm telling you, I know a lot more about this than you do. By the time Jankovich was gone, it was already way too late. And maybe even before him. If Miami were to secure the Orange Bowl, it needed to happen by the 80's at latest, and may well pre-date Foote.

Do you think that we have any other option for a place to play? Do you not think we have the best venue for a CFB team in America? Come on man!! Please, tell me where we should have played since 2009 and through 2030. I'll assume you're among the "build a stadium on campus!" crowd.

Hidden star behind most of those coaching supernovas on the list...was Sam Jankovich....Agreed, none of it happens w/o Howard here to get the ball rolling, but Howard (or JJ or Erickson) isn't/aren't here without Jankovich's foresight....
Was Jankovich’s foresight just regarding his ability to evaluate coaches, or was there more?

Advertisement
Back