Rumor Who Should Miami's "3"-5-5 Be?

I was at on-campus Pitt Stadium in 1967 when we rolled them 58-0. My first year out of UM>

Had a nice lunch at ex-Pirates Infielder Frankie Gustine's restaurant (on Forbes Ave) and then walked up the VERY steep hill to the stadium.
Cardiac Hill.

Advertisement
I have no problem with this. It's actually pretty balanced competitively (with a lot riding on if FSU is ever good again) and I personally have no emotional attachment to playing Vag Tech every year or anyone else currently considered a fake rival like UNC. Those clowns seemingly would get the easiest "permanent" opponent schedule but a) that's not surprising and b) I actually don't expect them to be a super relevant program in the future.
Personally I would prefer FSU, VT, and UNC, simply because I just hate UNC really badly,, almost as much as FSU.

Only bc it’s an older rivalry. But in todays age you go with what makes you more money and what gets people in the seats. NC St/UNC will not be left off for anyone. If UVA is on the list, it’ll be with State. I’d guess Duke would be the odd man out in that situation if you could only pick 2 of those 3.

I think that's kind of the point of this. Let the tobacco road teams continue playing each other.

Give Duke games vs UNC and NC State
UNC gets Duke and NC State
NC State gets Duke and UNC

You're going to be seeing the other teams much more frequently this way, so structure those 3 permanent games however you want to, it doesn't really matter because the other teams will be semi-frequent as well.

Advertisement
I think that's kind of the point of this. Let the tobacco road teams continue playing each other.

Give Duke games vs UNC and NC State
UNC gets Duke and NC State
NC State gets Duke and UNC

You're going to be seeing the other teams much more frequently this way, so structure those 3 permanent games however you want to, it doesn't really matter because the other teams will be semi-frequent as well.
I agree but I think State gets Wake instead of Duke. For whatever reason, that game has some inflated importance between the schools and fans.

Advertisement
I agree but I think State gets Wake instead of Duke. For whatever reason, that game has some inflated importance between the schools and fans.

Well there's 3 permanent games. Give NCSU the trifecta....Wake, UNC, Duke. As a matter of fact, there are 4 schools in North Carolina. Have them all play each other. Here would be my suggestions:

Miami -- FSU, VT, GT
FSU -- Miami, Clemson, Louisville

Wake -- UNC, Duke, NC State
NC State -- UNC, Duke, Wake
Duke -- UNC, NC State, Wake
UNC -- Wake, NC State, Duke

Clemson -- FSU, GT, UVA
GT -- Miami, Clemson, UVA
UVA -- Clemson, GT, VT
VT -- Miami, UVA, Pitt
Pitt -- VT, Syracuse, BC
Syracuse -- Pitt, BC, Louisville
BC -- Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville
Louisville -- Syracuse, BC, FSU

This is pretty logical both rivalry wise, keeping some division matchups that are currently being played intact, and geographically. Remember, you're going to be playing the other 10 teams a lot more frequently, so keeping your locked in 3 close to campus is probably pretty logical.

Well there's 3 permanent games. Give NCSU the trifecta....Wake, UNC, Duke. As a matter of fact, there are 4 schools in North Carolina. Have them all play each other. Here would be my suggestions:

Miami -- FSU, VT, GT

Clemson -- FSU, GT, UVA
UVA -- Clemson, GT, VT
VT -- Miami, UVA, Pitt
Pitt -- VT, Syracuse, BC

This is pretty logical both rivalry wise, keeping some division matchups that are currently being played intact, and geographically. Remember, you're going to be playing the other 10 teams a lot more frequently, so keeping your locked in 3 close to campus is probably pretty logical.
This makes the most sense of any one I’ve seen yet.

I think we all agree that FSU and VT make the most sense.

For the 3rd team I'd say keep in mind that Miami has a lot of alumni and connections to the northeast. That, and some more interesting history with BC (don't say his name) makes me think BC makes more sense than Pitt. Also for competitive balance too. From up in the air, FSU and VT are two of the historically stronger (top 1/3) football programs among the membership. I think it makes sense for them to give us BC and save "decent" PITT for another program.

My guess, anyway.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Miami -- FSU, VT, GT

Clemson -- FSU, GT, UVA
UVA -- Clemson, GT, VT
VT -- Miami, UVA, Pitt
Pitt -- VT, Syracuse, BC

Looks good, but I think they won't do an all-NC pod. I think they are trying to make it more interesting, not less interesting. Having three teams that all play all the same schools as each other in a single pod seems to go against what they are trying to accomplish here. It's also inequitable.

They want to mix it up. The good thing is with this new format, you get EVERY ACC team on your schedule every other year. So you can still have rivalries with them. If UNC plays Wake every other year for example, I think the world will keep spinning.

Obviously there’s consensus on FSU and VT. I’d personally like a game in North Carolina every season for recruiting and travel. I’d prefer NC State. I like their fans and I don’t like UNC. Duke is not worthy of that title.

Advertisement
I love this. However there are babies out there that think we shouldn't play Clemson every year.
rick-flair-wooo.gif

Tier 1 FSU VT Pitt
Tier 2 FSU VT BC
Tier 3 FSU VT Ga Tech

Georgia will only get better in football. Metro Atlanta produces top shelf guys too. We need to plant a flag there.

Obviously there’s consensus on FSU and VT. I’d personally like a game in North Carolina every season for recruiting and travel. I’d prefer NC State. I like their fans and I don’t like UNC. Duke is not worthy of that title.
Even without UNC, NCST or Duke as a permanent opponent since there are 3 of them and you are playing each one of them at least every other year, there is a pretty good chance that you will be playing one of them in NC each year (someone who is better at statistics can figure out the percentage for me).

As someone in DC that likes to go to a game in NC every fall, I would be happy if we are not playing Duke and UNC either both in NC or both in Miami like we do currently.

Advertisement
Back