Rumor Who Should Miami's "3"-5-5 Be?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind Duke or GT. We all clown FSU and VT, but all it takes is the right coach and one of those programs will be (at the very least) relevant in the conference title race...just like us. At least two marquee games every year, how it should be (to be completely honest).

Now I'm all for playing the best teams/some historical relevance, so if you want to throw in Pitt as the yearly matchup, that's fine by me. Not scared of anyone in this division...but you can't tell me having Duke or GT as a yearly opponent is a bad thing when it's probably going to equate to a win 80-90% of the time.

Advertisement
Sadly I was in Pittsburg at one of those games 😑
I was at on-campus Pitt Stadium in 1967 when we rolled them 58-0. My first year out of UM>

Had a nice lunch at ex-Pirates Infielder Frankie Gustine's restaurant (on Forbes Ave) and then walked up the VERY steep hill to the stadium. Perfect day!

Last edited:
Yup. And people are too focused on the permanent 3. We will probably see Clemson more often this way since 5 games will rotate every year. It's a solid setup in my opinion. Top 2 go to the ACCG. Tiebreaker based on H2H when possible. Would be interested on what the backup tiebreakers are
Let's assume they will install whatever keeps Miami out of ACCCG.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind Duke or GT. We all clown FSU and VT, but all it takes is the right coach and one of those programs will be (at the very least) relevant in the conference title race...just like us. At least two marquee games every year, how it should be (to be completely honest).

Now I'm all for playing the best teams/some historical relevance, so if you want to throw in Pitt as the yearly matchup, that's fine by me. Not scared of anyone in this division...but you can't tell me having Duke or GT as a yearly opponent is a bad thing when it's probably going to equate to a win 80-9I0% of the time.
Pitt and GT are interchangeable. Both metropolitan cities. One has more history, the other better geographically. Duke is a bad fit IMO. I don't care about who is tougher. It shouldn't matter if we ever get "back".

Not an easy question because some teams like GT don't have natural dance partners, so need to solve for the whole league obviously.

I could see canes with noles, GT and Pitt (or vt).

Advertisement
FSU and VT for sure. I could see the Pittsburgh or BC with old Big East ties, but could also see GT which is the possibly easiest trip via plane MIA to ATL. Miami and GT have always played competitive close games mainly because we have been so average in the ACC.

I guess Louisville could be an option that could make a little sense. UNC would be nice if I knew we would smash their face in every year.

Not an easy question because some teams like GT don't have natural dance partners, so need to solve for the whole league obviously.

I could see canes with noles, GT and Pitt (or vt).
Yeah they do, GT is a long-standing series opponent for Clemson.

Statistics
Meetings total87
All-time seriesGeorgia Tech leads, 50–34–2[1]
Largest victoryClemson, 73–0 (1903)
Longest win streakGeorgia Tech, 15 (1908–1934)
Current win streakClemson, 7 (2015–present)

Yeah they do, GT is a long-standing series opponent for Clemson.

Statistics
Meetings total87
All-time seriesGeorgia Tech leads, 50–34–2[1]
Largest victoryClemson, 73–0 (1903)
Longest win streakGeorgia Tech, 15 (1908–1934)
Current win streakClemson, 7 (2015–present)
Agree on Clemson. I wrote partners for a reason. Who are the other 2?

Advertisement
Someone needs to start a massive email campaign if what I'm hearing out of the meetings is true.. No Miami/VT as rivals

Advertisement
Who should Miami's "3"-5-5 be?

I'd say FSU, UNC, and VT.

Really don't like the incestuous Tabacco Road Duke-UNC-NC St thing....

This thread deserves a header poll.

Should’ve had your first cuppa coffee before you posted.

Can you include a poll retroactively?

Idk who to go with. Pitt would probably be the pick and if it was so be it but just from potential competitive view I would prefer unc
Wouldn't be surprised if Pitt got Louisville, BC, and Syracuse.

There's so many ways to slice this pie. Geography, rivalry, competitive balance, etc.

Advertisement
I think it would look fairly close to this.. not sure about GT & Louisville. Might swap a few. Most are two inner division & one outer. It can be done though. 10 mins of effort.

BC - Syracuse, VT, Pitt
Clemson - GT, FSU, Louisville
FSU - Miami, NC State, Clemson
Louisville - UVA, Clemson, WF
NC State - FSU, UNC, Wake
Syracuse - BC, Pitt, GT
WF - NC State, Duke, Louisville
Duke - UNC, GT, Wake
GT - Clemson, Duke, Syracuse
Miami - FSU, VT, Pitt
UNC - Duke, NC State, Virginia
Pitt - Miami, BC, Syracuse
UVA - VT, UNC, Louisville
VT - Miami, Virginia, BC
I have no problem with this. It's actually pretty balanced competitively (with a lot riding on if FSU is ever good again) and I personally have no emotional attachment to playing Vag Tech every year or anyone else currently considered a fake rival like UNC. Those clowns seemingly would get the easiest "permanent" opponent schedule but a) that's not surprising and b) I actually don't expect them to be a super relevant program in the future.

I could see UM with FSU, VT, and either Pitt or UNC.

FSU with UM, Clemson, and GT.

Clemson with GT, NC State and FSU.

UNC's rivalry with UVA is bigger than with NCSU. Some people argue that its even bigger than vs Duke (for football purposes). 4th most played game in all of college football. 0 chance that they don't end up on each other's list.
Only bc it’s an older rivalry. But in todays age you go with what makes you more money and what gets people in the seats. NC St/UNC will not be left off for anyone. If UVA is on the list, it’ll be with State. I’d guess Duke would be the odd man out in that situation if you could only pick 2 of those 3.

Advertisement
Back