What went wrong with this years class?

Half of those 3 stars are getting bumping bro. Blissett, Crowley, Brownlee, and Holley are all getting bumps and Ivins expects us to add Evan Neal, Kenny McIntosh, Keon Zipperer, JJ Weaver, Khris Bogle, Braylen Ingraham, And Richards little bro.

Edit: He also expects Cornelius Nunn at the moment.
That would be very good class. People complain about our DT recruiting, with likely four of Holly, Blissett, Ingraham, and the Aquinas kid. That would be better than most DT classes I remember. One maybe elite (Ingraham) and two, maybe three, at least solid. We won NC's with some solid but not great guys at DT.

Advertisement
We’re chasing a lot of highly rated guys we have a good chance with. If we hit, this class will be a good mix of quality prospects and filling our needs. These next few weeks are critical. Take care of business and beat FSU and I think we’ll finish strong.

This difference is last year the top kids commutes early. This year the top kids are waiting.

That would be very good class. People complain about our DT recruiting, with likely four of Holly, Blissett, Ingraham, and the Aquinas kid. That would be better than most DT classes I remember. One maybe elite (Ingraham) and two, maybe three, at least solid. We won NC's with some solid but not great guys at DT.
i like holley and the aquinas kid. we also need some explosive DE's. '19 is the class that will finally complete the depth of our roster if we do it right

Advertisement
This class isn't star studded like 18 but provides QUALITY depth for the future.

most of our top guys like Richards, Stevenson, Neal, Summerall, Bogle, Ingraham, Weaver, Haselwood haven'ts decided yet so I think when those guys do decide and we land some of them the class will look better

Advertisement
Different kind of year. I’ve made the case in previous threads that I think this is the year where the bags game is out of the closet and all of the kids know it and are putting themselves in the game.Why else would Cane locks like McIntosh and Richards be connected to OK.and Auburn Not to mention Bogle to Tenn and Stevenson to Ga. These are the type kids that committed early last year and stuck. Hope it all works out for us.
McIntosh nor Richards were ever Cane locks. McIntosh we like to say was a lock because his brother went here like he didn't have another brother that went to ND. Richards, I've been saying all along we messed up from the beginning by recruiting him as a DB. Stevenson is a bag kid. There's one every year. Nothing we can do about that.

Lets look at things objectively, not saying it is a terrible class, but it doesn't compare to last years or what next years is looking like in terms of elite players. Currently ranked 20th, that's simply not going to get it done. Especially if you have weaknesses on the coaching staff.

17 commits. Nine are 3 Stars. Fair enough if you want to say a player to two like Crowley will eventually get bumped up. But not all of them will. So what you're hoping is that this coaching staff is a not only a good evaluator of talent, but can develop these guys.

So what happened this year where we aren't getting the same level of player? And please don't say stars don't matter. That's a weak *** argument.

But I can concede that an occasional class that is like this is alright, as long as you go back to a top 10 class the next year. We will see, and obviously there is still time left for them to get better players in the fold

I don't think you can ask what went wrong just yet. I believe the class and subsequent classes will be more than enough to make us a staple in the ACC championship game, but we need to improve with OL, DL, and QB recruiting if we are gonna get a seat at the playoff table.

I don’t care if this team’s class has a 20th ranking, as long as we infuse talent at weak spots (OL, DTs, DEs, DBs)

Advertisement
The class isn't bad now just its setting up for a boom or bust finish. Outside of battle and ladson there are no local kids we missed on that I can think of. Also last class was the perfect storm in the fact that it was a loaded so fla year and we had legacy kids that were high ranked, this year not as much.

I'd like to see top 15 classes at the minimum every year, with a top 10 class sprinkled in there every couple of years. We aren't too far from that right now, but I am concerned about this cycle.

Advertisement
We'll see how it all pans out, but it isn't good enough to call others out about and not bad enough to say the sky is falling.

Whatever it is, we still have guys wanting to leave the area and that's the concerning part. You flip a few of those guys and you are closing in on the top dogs. Tough to do though as the top guys we're losing are picking the top schools. So we show we can compete, they're picking us in the future.

4 months til signing day.

Plenty of time.

And, as always, it comes down to evaluations by the staff.

During the Coker years we took plenty of 4 and 5-stars that fizzled.

Partly due to poor development and a country club culture, but also because there are plenty of rated players who aren't worth the rating.

It's a staff's job to figure out who's who.

Lets look at things objectively, not saying it is a terrible class, but it doesn't compare to last years or what next years is looking like in terms of elite players. Currently ranked 20th, that's simply not going to get it done. Especially if you have weaknesses on the coaching staff.

17 commits. Nine are 3 Stars. Fair enough if you want to say a player to two like Crowley will eventually get bumped up. But not all of them will. So what you're hoping is that this coaching staff is a not only a good evaluator of talent, but can develop these guys.

So what happened this year where we aren't getting the same level of player? And please don't say stars don't matter. That's a weak *** argument.

But I can concede that an occasional class that is like this is alright, as long as you go back to a top 10 class the next year. We will see, and obviously there is still time left for them to get better players in the fold

Last year we signed a great class because we finished the 2016 season on a 5 game win streak and beat the crap out of WV in the bowl game.Lasr year we lost our last 3 games and Clemson embarrassed us in the ACC ****le game.Kids have some doubt now.

Advertisement
Back