What must Al accomplish to stay off the hot seat next year?

Advertisement
Win the Coastal. Fired immediately if he doesn't. Don't care if he goes 12-1, not winning the worst division in all BCS football, if not all D1 football, is just sickening.

Of course, he will go 6-6/7-5 and be a hero in his first "real" year.

I think he gets two more years regardless. He bought himself goodwill with the NCAA handling (at least among those that make this decision). If they flop this year he will have the opportunity to make staff changes, after that it is his job. (unfortunately sounds very familiar)

real hot seat? or our fans with 0 perspective hot seat?

Are there fans that overreact? Sure. Are there fans who blindly follow and would positively follow regardless of how bad the truth might actually be? Yes.

What you need to understand is at this point, we MIGHT be somewhere in the middle, but we are progressively trending downward (I know contrary to wins). We are not showing that we are any better on the field and our schedule got significantly easier this year. All of the usual challenging teams on our schedule were in down years except FSU (they still only count as 1 game). Wins don't tell the entire story. I don't have to be a pro scout to see that what we were doing on defense this year (or the last 3 for that matter) was not working. I'm on the lean that Golden will not succeed, because he's not willing to make the necessary adjustments. You cannot succeed when you give up the first 5-8 yards for free every play.

People want to keep talking about our talent. Most of us understand we do not have championship talent, but we don't have sun belt talent either. We have enough talent to not be an embarrassment against scrub teams (Notice I did not say elite FSU level teams).

You can defend Golden and believe in the staff, but please quit deflecting the blame and making excuses for this staff. At some point, people have to realize it all falls back on the coaches. Even with the cloud, we have recruited well enough that with proper player development and coaching, we should not look this bad against teams like Wake Forest.

we're trending upward, technically.. by all measurable categories, btw. I'm not sure why our 3 star talent should be automatically better than anyone elses 3 star talent.. especially when we've had 2 consecutive HC's and staffs that have not proven to be able to accomplish anything. It's really not about deflecting blame and excuses. It's about seeing our reality, people act like our staff is having our studs under perform.. when they might just be getting the most out of what we had.

LULZ at anyone that thinks anything but a losing season is going to put al on the hot seat. the guy has a 2-3 year window to turn it around. there will be no hot seat until the season after this coming season. just stating what i think is the view of the administration. i could be wrong.

Advertisement
Oddly we can go 1-11 and Al is not gonna get fired...
UM is launching the beginning of the Golden Era with this class...and are now "FULL SPEED AHEAD"
His now on the clock and has another 3 years....

The final cherry on top is Al's contract goes to 2020...LORD HELP US ALL!!!!!

Uhh no.

Oddly we can go 1-11 and Al is not gonna get fired...
UM is launching the beginning of the Golden Era with this class...and are now "FULL SPEED AHEAD"
His now on the clock and has another 3 years....

The final cherry on top is Al's contract goes to 2020...LORD HELP US ALL!!!!!

Uhh no.

This was my first thought yesterday when the ESPN reporter said it also.

To not be on the hot seat (from the school, not the fans):

1. Improvement, actual improvement.

ACC Performance (W/L)

2011: 3-5
2012: 5-3
2013: 5-3

It's hard to sell improvement when you finish with the same exact record the previous year. Last year Al went 4-0 OOC, it is hard to improve on that record since it was technically perfect. If Al goes 4-0 this year OOC and 6-2 in the ACC. That is ACTUAL IMPROVEMENT (not saying it is enough) and not BS improvement (6-7-9).

2. He wanted to keep the staff exactly in place, you better improve.

The offense better score more points, the defense better prevent more points from being scored. This will be the same OC and DC in the 2014 (as it was in 2013), the results better dictate ACTUAL improvement.

3. Post Season

A.) Win the bowl game, and

B.) Win the Coastal with an improved performance

Bonus round: The school won't care if the above is done but if he wants a BONUS.

4. How about beating FSU?

He is 0-3 in the category.

5. How about winning the ACC?

Advertisement
He'll go 7-5 and get fired.

If we had common sense: If I was handling it, anything less than 10 wins, stark improvements on defense, and a Coastal ship means unemployment. Unfortunately, nobody gives a **** what I think.

In the cruel reality we live in: His Cloudedness gets a much longer leash. If he only wins 7 total, he is done. Anyone who does not realize that has no concept of precedent. The buyout will get done one way or another. After your 4th year at Miami, going backwards in wins gets you fired.

With that said, I will add a caveat. if golden wins a crap bowl game bringing him to 8 wins total, I can see him getting another year.Only because of how bull**** our standards are.

8 wins total, or be gets fired. His recruiting classes have been ranked 8th, 15th, and 10th over the last 3 years. Absolutely ZERO excuse for him not to succeed in this cupcake division.

To not be on the hot seat (from the school, not the fans):

1. Improvement, actual improvement.

ACC Performance (W/L)

2011: 3-5
2012: 5-3
2013: 5-3

It's hard to sell improvement when you finish with the same exact record the previous year. Last year Al went 4-0 OOC, it is hard to improve on that record since it was technically perfect. If Al goes 4-0 this year OOC and 6-2 in the ACC. That is ACTUAL IMPROVEMENT (not saying it is enough) and not BS improvement (6-7-9).

2. He wanted to keep the staff exactly in place, you better improve.

The offense better score more points, the defense better prevent more points from being scored. This will be the same OC and DC in the 2014 (as it was in 2013), the results better dictate ACTUAL improvement.

3. Post Season

A.) Win the bowl game, and

B.) Win the Coastal with an improved performance

Bonus round: The school won't care if the above is done but if he wants a BONUS.

4. How about beating FSU?

He is 0-3 in the category.

5. How about winning the ACC?

Well said.

The seat is starting to get warm. The media has started questioning him, especially about the defense and the tone of conversations are starting to change.

The schedule is much tougher this year and Al has not shown any ability to out coach anyone yet. This team starts out 2-3 or 3-4 which is very possible with this defense.....Stands are going to be ghost towns in this apathetic fanbase. When you see only 20-25k going to games late in a season(aka Randy year 4).....that seat is going to get really, really hot....despite the huge extension.

If he doesn't get to the ACCCG game (unless he goes 9-3+ with big wins and VT or someone else turns out to be an 11-1 type team).....He will lose the vast majority of the fanbase and talk radio will just rip him non stop.

If he has 6-7-8 wins....Won't get fired, but admin will put huge pressure on him and staff changes will be made.

Under 6 wins.....Firing is a strong possibility and probably likely. As you are looking at 1997 like attendance of 15-20k a game if you bring him back.

Bottom line....His teams should be better than they are, not Bama, FSU better....but better. Ed Reed, Jerome Brown, Dan Morgan, Warren Sapp are needed to be a Bama, but they are not playing on teams like Marshall, ECU, Syracuse that can shutdown bad offenses like WF and VT. At some point you have to start winning and overachieve instead of consistently barely meeting expectations.

The seat is starting to get warm. The media has started questioning him, especially about the defense and the tone of conversations are starting to change.

The schedule is much tougher this year and Al has not shown any ability to out coach anyone yet. This team starts out 2-3 or 3-4 which is very possible with this defense.....Stands are going to be ghost towns in this apathetic fanbase. When you see only 20-25k going to games late in a season(aka Randy year 4).....that seat is going to get really, really hot....despite the huge extension.

If he doesn't get to the ACCCG game (unless he goes 9-3+ with big wins and VT or someone else turns out to be an 11-1 type team).....He will lose the vast majority of the fanbase and talk radio will just rip him non stop.

If he has 6-7-8 wins....Won't get fired, but admin will put huge pressure on him and staff changes will be made.

Under 6 wins.....Firing is a strong possibility and probably likely. As you are looking at 1997 like attendance of 15-20k a game if you bring him back.

Bottom line....His teams should be better than they are, not Bama, FSU better....but better. Ed Reed, Jerome Brown, Dan Morgan, Warren Sapp are needed to be a Bama, but they are not playing on teams like Marshall, ECU, Syracuse that can shutdown bad offenses like WF and VT. At some point you have to start winning and overachieve instead of consistently barely meeting expectations.

I wish you would post more here Monkey. Good to see you alive.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Win 10 games, win the coastal, have at worst a top 50 defense (me being generous), and WIN our bowl game. Or please proceed to gtfo.

Not lowering my expectation due to the lack of talent we have in our staff.

Win the ACCCG or GTFO

This program out recruits it's division by a wide margin. So making it there shouldn't be a major task. Even for a staff that walks around with a Coaching for Dummies book. Shouldn't be much to ask them to win it either. When they can go into halftime versus the NC only down by 7. With the likes of Morris, Green, Gaines, and Highsmith.

Advertisement
Back