What is Barry Jackson saying here?

At the end of the day with CMD being a defensive coach, it sounds like he sadly doesn't want to bring in a DC that knows more than he does.....as in his mind it makes him look useless and also probably makes him feel like he'll be undercut and eventually replaced with the very coach he hired after a big loss vs either an underdog team or even a Clemson team that runs the score up (he'd be the scapegoat for admin to promote the Muschamp/Strong DC hire). There was no risk with Manny hiring Lashlee and there being immediate success because no one expects Manny to know how to coordinate OFF so the success is viewed as "CMD made an OUTSTANDING HIRE"...

IMO that's why we won't land the experienced "still wants to be a HC" DEF guru we want....BUT....we can still get guys like Don Brown from Mich as he's a bit older but still sharp and likely isn't looking to take over a program. Lovie Smith is another one although not as old as Don Brown but if he's willing to uproot his family out of Illinois, as he's been there since his Chicago Bears HC days, I think he'd be the perfect fit and we'd ultimately see at least our guys finally getting that elusive ACC championship in 2021 or 2022. Albeit pulling Lovie out of Illinois will be a tough ask as I always thought the Illinois HC thing was more of a last job before early retirement type of gig.
I disagree with the part about Lashley. He treats that unit like a head coach and sometimes if you play close attention to the sidelines his intensity may undermine Manny. That's why I think he's very careful about the defense

Advertisement
Let's hope Manny sees this also and is pursuing those guys.
Nothing concrete yet but certainly looks that way. There’s definitely interest in our DL coach job and our secondary job.

It’ll be interesting because we’re not getting big names to come and coach S or CB - they want both. Or if not both, they want the Co-Dc title.

We have the Associate HC, and Co-Dc title available to throw around and get some solid names.

No, it's a demotion. Has to be the context of Barry's article. The reason why is because Baker is ALREADY the DC and ILB coach. He's not going to take on three defensive roles (i.e. DEF COORD., ILB, and Safeties). Barry's point is, a coach has called Manny seeking clarity if he will fire Baker, but Manny is telling other coaches, "I probably won't fire Baker, I will probably keep him on staff and let him coach safeties, but I will be looking for a new def. coord.".

That's how it reads.
If this is true its a recipe for disaster. What defensive coordinator worth a **** is going to accept a job with about half of his assistants being holdovers from the previous staff, especially the previous defensive coordinator? That's a recipe for an absolute disastrous sh*tshow.

Advertisement
I’m sick of being a coaching farm club. Baker and Patke are horrendous. Gut the staff and start over. If there is a problem w Manny being able to
get a quality DC here, then isn’t that an obvious that Blake James and Manny are the problems?

Respected as a recruiter and a guy. He’s proven absolutely nothing as a coach.

That side of the ball will benefit with some football coaches with some expertise.
I wanna keep DVD in the building for sure as a recruiter. At DC I’d imagine there would be interest but no coach wants to come to kitchen with pre prepared food

I’m sick of being a coaching farm club. Baker and Patke are horrendous. Gut the staff and start over. If there is a problem w Manny being able to
get a quality DC here, then isn’t that an obvious that Blake James and Manny are the problems?
We went from LB being strength to losing a AA and play dropping off

Advertisement
Nothing concrete yet but certainly looks that way. There’s definitely interest in our DL coach job and our secondary job.

It’ll be interesting because we’re not getting big names to come and coach S or CB - they want both. Or if not both, they want the Co-Dc title.

We have the Associate HC, and Co-Dc title available to throw around and get some solid names.
Wasn't Lashlee given an AHC title with a bump in salary recently? Maybe I heard wrong.

If it is for the NFL, I am perfectly fine with that. That is how it used to be.

So it sounds like Baker is staying after all huh? Crazy.

Advertisement

Contrary to what I have read here and there, people want to coach at Miami lol

Barry's fluff piece "articles" read more like they're coming from a gossip column or a reality TV show.

Advertisement
Contrary to what I have read here and there, people want to coach at Miami lol
They certainly want to coach our DL, excluding Stroud (he wasn’t looking to progress), the previous 2 DL coaches went to Alabama and the NFL, respectively.

I honestly think if the money is right we could get who we want at DB as well. They have a loaded room to walk into.

They certainly want to coach our DL, excluding Stroud (he wasn’t looking to progress), the previous 2 DL coaches went to Alabama and the NFL, respectively.

I honestly think if the money is right we could get who we want at DB as well. They have a loaded room to walk into.
Exactly. Our D-Line is full of talent.

About the rest, imagine a coach taking this secondary into the elite region. He will get big coaching opportunities asap.

Advertisement
Back