What is Barry Jackson saying here?

Advertisement
Bro; lol...u’re talking about Baker. I’m talking about legit DC, not someone who’s already familiar w/ Diaz & Patke prior to. Probably knew Banda too due to his close relationship w Diaz.
I see what you mean. I didn't see where you put "new dc". Yes, a brand new dc isn't going to want to keep Baker at all. And of course we won't blame him.

DVD at CB and Baker at S would be an abomination. And I do really value DVD.
Why do u think that ?. I personally think that side of the ball would benefit from a new infusion of voices. But I thought DVD was well respected

I see what you mean. I didn't see where you put "new dc". Yes, a brand new dc isn't going to want to keep Baker at all. And of course we won't blame him.

My fault; I should’ve been more clear. But **** naw a new DC is not going to go for this, UNLESS it’s another Baker situation. But if we are shelling out to get a legit, established DC!? Naw!! They r not going to accept Baker being moved as a Safeties Coach

Advertisement
My fault; I should’ve been more clear. But **** naw a new DC is not going to go for this, UNLESS it’s another Baker situation. But if we are shelling out to get a legit, established DC!? Naw!! They r not going to accept Baker being moved as a Safeties Coach
So who you got? IF you are Manny, what's the first number you're dialing?

My guess is baker will be DC and safeties. DVD for cb, and patke will coach all the lb's then someone like I don't know let's says the Simpson guy that went to Atlanta before. Nothing really different, just same ****** defense as before. Should have just fired Baker and made Banda dc/safeties coach if this is all that is done

Feeling like they are waiting for a landing spot for Baker. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him join an NFL staff in some capacity in next couple weeks
This is probably why there was never going to be some dramatic "You're Fired!" moment that some were looking forward to.

Advertisement
Feeling like they are waiting for a landing spot for Baker. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him join an NFL staff in some capacity in next couple weeks

Maybe I haven't paid enough attention over the years but is this really how it works? Fail upwards? Dude can't be a P5 defensive coordinator but he would somehow be able to land an NFL job?

This is probably why there was never going to be some dramatic "You're Fired!" moment that some were looking forward to.
I think Baker's days are numbered here. I do think Manny wants to move but there could be many things at play the same time

Maybe I haven't paid enough attention over the years but is this really how it works? Fail upwards? Dude can't be a P5 defensive coordinator but he would somehow be able to land an NFL job?
Dorito got a DC job lol after his failures at UM. Kingsbury got an NFL HC job after getting fired as college hc. it happens a lot more than you think.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Respected as a recruiter and a guy. He’s proven absolutely nothing as a coach.

That side of the ball will benefit with some football coaches with some expertise.

Let's hope Manny sees this also and is pursuing those guys.

Why do u think that ?. I personally think that side of the ball would benefit from a new infusion of voices. But I thought DVD was well respected
It’s the same fûcking voices just switched chairs. Group think at its finest.

At the end of the day with CMD being a defensive coach, it sounds like he sadly doesn't want to bring in a DC that knows more than he does.....as in his mind it makes him look useless and also probably makes him feel like he'll be undercut and eventually replaced with the very coach he hired after a big loss vs either an underdog team or even a Clemson team that runs the score up (he'd be the scapegoat for admin to promote the Muschamp/Strong DC hire). There was no risk with Manny hiring Lashlee and there being immediate success because no one expects Manny to know how to coordinate OFF so the success is viewed as "CMD made an OUTSTANDING HIRE"...

IMO that's why we won't land the experienced "still wants to be a HC" DEF guru we want....BUT....we can still get guys like Don Brown from Mich as he's a bit older but still sharp and likely isn't looking to take over a program. Lovie Smith is another one although not as old as Don Brown but if he's willing to uproot his family out of Illinois, as he's been there since his Chicago Bears HC days, I think he'd be the perfect fit and we'd ultimately see at least our guys finally getting that elusive ACC championship in 2021 or 2022. Albeit pulling Lovie out of Illinois will be a tough ask as I always thought the Illinois HC thing was more of a last job before early retirement type of gig.

Advertisement
Back