What is Barry Jackson saying here?

Barry’s next article will contain the social security numbers of the entire roster
Lmao Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Advertisement
You know that’s a real likely possibility
I have more faith in Manny than that. This would be a CMR move...like hiring your safeties and LB coaches as co-DCs when your DC bolts for a head coaching opportunity. That was a lazy hire and showed that he was not mentally strong after that season.
Manny tries to go bigger than that. I just can’t believe that he seems to be putting himself at risk for his boy Baker (I really hope not). If he stays, even if we hire another DC to run the show, it could put Manny in the crosshairs if we don’t continue with improvement. Seems risky to me and not worth it. Get rid of him.

DVD at CB and Baker at S would be an abomination. And I do really value DVD.
That looks like a manny kind of staff he’ll probably hire
I wouldn’t be surprised if patke is moved to lb coach and he promotes someone like Kareem brown as the dline coach
And Cooney as special teams

Advertisement
Can anyone help me out with the recent news? 1) So is Rumph gone for sure? 2) Is Barry hinting at Baker getting a demotion to safeties coach? If so, this seems like a win/win.

No, it's a demotion. Has to be the context of Barry's article. The reason why is because Baker is ALREADY the DC and ILB coach. He's not going to take on three defensive roles (i.e. DEF COORD., ILB, and Safeties). Barry's point is, a coach has called Manny seeking clarity if he will fire Baker, but Manny is telling other coaches, "I probably won't fire Baker, I will probably keep him on staff and let him coach safeties, but I will be looking for a new def. coord.".

That's how it reads.

This would make no sense b/c a new DC is going to want to hire his own support staff. It said a coach looking for work (which already had me shook) wasn’t clear on the DC situation. If Diaz keeps Baker, and tells a new DC “ay, this is ur Safeties coach; congratulations” no one is taking that chit.

I read it as Baker handling both the DC & S position. Patke would probably be all LBs including Striker & we hire a familiar DL & CB coach who meshes well w Manny’s concept

Gawlee I hope this is not the case. I really, really hope this is not the case.

Advertisement
Feeling like they are waiting for a landing spot for Baker. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him join an NFL staff in some capacity in next couple weeks

He coached Safety's 1 year at Arkansas, and a year at Latech. When Manny took the Mississippi State job they gave Baker the DC position. It's disgusting that Manny literally turned around and did the same thing at Miami. This dude Baker is the definition of under qualified. He had literally just became a position coach before he was given a coordinator job
Arkansas State not Arkansas.

Coaching safeties instead of ILB but still being DC is the way I took it

Meaning there still won’t be a legitimate DB coach coming here if that’s the case.

Not sure I read it that he would still be DC. Surely not a strong vote of confidence vibe coming out of that in my opinion.

Advertisement
Safeties, LBs, Corners, OL, Kickers. It doesn't matter. There isn't any nuance to these positions, so just throw anyone out there and get good results. I think it works the same for surgeries. Need a knee replacement? Cardio, Dermatologist, Neuro, whatever.

Safeties, LBs, Corners, OL, Kickers. It doesn't matter. There isn't any nuance to these positions, so just throw anyone out there and get good results. I think it works the same for surgeries. Need a knee replacement? Cardio, Dermatologist, Neuro, whatever.
I’m not a proctologist ... but I know an ******* when I see one.

I’m not a gynecologist ... but I’ll take a look.

credit another poster who introduced this retort to the
board

Advertisement
This would make no sense b/c a new DC is going to want to hire his own support staff. It said a coach looking for work (which already had me shook) wasn’t clear on the DC situation. If Diaz keeps Baker, and tells a new DC “ay, this is ur Safeties coach; congratulations” no one is taking that chit.

I read it as Baker handling both the DC & S position. Patke would probably be all LBs including Striker & we hire a familiar DL & CB coach who meshes well w Manny’s concept

Gawlee I hope this is not the case. I really, really hope this is not the case.
not really my man. When Diaz hired Baker as his defensive coordinator, Baker didn't hire his own people. Rumph, Patke, and Banda stayed (with Patke and Banda receiving promotions and raises). Normally do coordinators hire their own support staff? Yeah, and we saw that with Lashlee (hiring Likens and Justice). But, not always that way.

No, it's a demotion. Has to be the context of Barry's article. The reason why is because Baker is ALREADY the DC and ILB coach. He's not going to take on three defensive roles (i.e. DEF COORD., ILB, and Safeties). Barry's point is, a coach has called Manny seeking clarity if he will fire Baker, but Manny is telling other coaches, "I probably won't fire Baker, I will probably keep him on staff and let him coach safeties, but I will be looking for a new def. coord.".

That's how it reads.
We are in huge trouble if this scenario has any legitimacy. Why safeties and not just LB’s if he’s being demoted and staying. Makes zero sense to switch him to Safety’s.

not really my man. When Diaz hired Baker as his defensive coordinator, Baker didn't hire his own people. Rumph, Patke, and Banda stayed (with Patke and Banda receiving promotions and raises). Normally do coordinators hire their own support staff? Yeah, and we saw that with Lashlee (hiring Likens and Justice). But, not always that way.

Bro; lol...u’re talking about Baker. I’m talking about legit DC, not someone who’s already familiar w/ Diaz & Patke prior to. Probably knew Banda too due to his close relationship w Diaz.

We are in huge trouble if this scenario has any legitimacy. Why safeties and not just LB’s if he’s being demoted and staying. Makes zero sense to switch him to Safety’s.
I mean, I hope I'm wrong lol but from the language of the post, my opinion seems like closest to what Barry is saying. The best outcome is Manny growing a pair and firing Baker and dismissing the entire defensive staff similar to what he did with the offense. If Manny wants to be HC beyond 2021, that's the path he will take. Hire Steele (DC/LB), Partridge (DL), and T-Rob (DB). And let's roll.

Advertisement
Back