What if the ACC went to 16 Teams?

Advertisement
add ND full-time and another expansion team (Tulane / Cincy / Temple / Memphis / UConn)

But I think the divisions are an easy solution. You divide up on old ACC/Big East lines:

Atlantic:
Clemson
FSU
Virginia
UNC
NC St
Wake
Duke
GT

Eastern:
Miami
ND
VT
Cuse
BC
Pitt
Louisville
Expansion Team

1. The Tobacco Road mafia would be tweaking their n!ps at getting the old gang back together

2. You want a championship game with some shine? UM/ND vs Clem/FSU has some SERIOUS shine

3. Power is cyclical, but this seems to be pretty balanced

NO AAC will join the ACC. Can we stop bringing them up.

Tulane LMFAO
Memphis - Football probation waiting to happen
Cincy - Maybe but WVU is a stronger option.
Temple - HA!!!!
UCONN - Hard Pass

NO AAC will join the ACC. Can we stop bringing them up.

Tulane LMFAO
Memphis - Football probation waiting to happen
Cincy - Maybe but WVU is a stronger option.
Temple - HA!!!!
UCONN - Hard Pass

WVU would absolutely be stronger on the field, but would you be able to pry them away from their current conference? Then there are other factors to consider, such as TV market, recruiting ground exposure, and academics. Philly has the #4 market, Cincy is 35 and nice recruiting area... Tulane has the academics, a top-50 tv market and an elite recruiting area

Advertisement
Miami Clemson and FSU all on the same side? Wouldn’t be great for conference championship game.

Would be no worse than it is now.

And having those 3 on the same side actually increases the chance of 2 ACC teams making the playoffs.

1-loss 2nd place finisher has a shot at making the playoffs if that loss is to the undefeated conference champ.

Advertisement
Lets see

1. They are at a HUGE Recruiting disadvantage verse the rest of their conference.

2. Their sports can actually bus to the majority of their games. Louisville, Pitt, VT, UVA, Syracuse

3. The Big XII is very unstable. There is going to come a day when Texas and Texas Tech head to the Pac-12, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State head to the SEC.

4. They are in the middle of the ACC footprint which brings back point #2

5. They are in the Big XII because of Oliver Luck and there is some power people at WVU that still hate the move will will fork up the money to get them into the ACC.

The ACC likes to tout itself as an academic conference. No chance they would allow a glorified community college like WVU to join the ACC.

Yes, I know Lousiville and FSU are not great academic schools, but they are head and shoulders above WVU.

Before you rule out UCONN (and I’m not saying to rule them in …) remember UCONN (basketball) has 3 homes: Storrs, Hartford and Madison Square Garden. B1G grabbed Rutgers to get into MSG and the NYC market (though I’m sure they regret it).

I’d grab Houston over any other G5. Houston market. Houston recruits.

Like Temple

Nobody gives 2 f**** about Rutgers in NYC.

Thing is what if Rutgers joined the ACC when Miami, VT, and BC did(So should have Syracuse, WVU, and Pitt)

You would then have in 2004.

North
BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Maryland, Pitt, VT, UVA

South
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, Wake, UNC, Duke

ND would then would have either been forced to join the BIG or stay Indy and join in with the rest of the Catholic schools.

UCONN would have been screwed because they just brought their football program to the higher level. Remember they was Non-Scholarship 1AA until 2000 I think.

The ACC likes to tout itself as an academic conference. No chance they would allow a glorified community college like WVU to join the ACC.

Yes, I know Lousiville and FSU are not great academic schools, but they are head and shoulders above WVU.

Actually Louisville is not that far from WVU in the Rankings. The problem with WVU is their Admissions standards which is mandated by the state. WVU can talk **** about Marshall all they want, but the requirements are the exact same as any other state public university in the state. By state law, WVU can raise the standards to meet the ACC admission requirements.

Advertisement
Please tell me you guys have something better.

ND- wouldn't join. Why buy the cow when they're getting the milk for free
Navy- Why? What could they possibly add to the conference?
Temple- hahahha...no fans, no money
Uconn- see Temple
FIU/UCF- fcking why? Why would we bring in 2 Florida teams, especially ones nobody outside their areas care about.
WVA- probably the best on this list, but old ACC wouldn't like it
Cincy- not the worst choice, but wouldn't bring enough to be worth splitting money with them

And that nonsense about north/south divisions...you really want to put Miami, fsu, and Clemson in the same division?

Why would you want to legitimize UCF or USF?

You say that as if we are the only ones capable of "legitimizing" UCF or USF.

The Big 12 could offer at any time and "legitimize" them.

If they are legit, I would rather have them in the ACC than the Big 12.

I'd imagine most will disagree but I have my doubts over whether the ACC would want UCF and USF. I think their reasoning would be similar to what kept Houston out of the Big12.

"If Houston got into the Big 12, it’d further muddy the waters of a high-stakes recruiting area. Why should Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, or Baylor want to validate any more competition in the state?"

As ridiculous as it sounds I'm not so sure they'd want two additional Florida teams to join due to recruiting AND TV markets. The ACC doesn't want to take either away from Miami or FSU. Florida is already a pillaged state recruiting wise. Moving either up to the ACC would be a major selling point for both UCF and USF. Why give them that?

I just don't see the ACC ever putting 4 instate teams in the same conference.

North Carolina, Duke, Wake, NC State.

Advertisement
I've always felt all the major conferences should have let Notre Dame Olympic team floundered until their football folds and joins a conference. Look at BYU, they are begging the MWC to let them back in. Thing is only way that happens is if UTEP, UTSA, and North Dakota State also join the MW.

Notre Dame and Navy

North:
Notre Dame
Navy
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College

South:
Miami
Florida State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest

Can’t have Miami, Clemson, and FSU in the same division.

Those were charter members when the ACC formed in 1953. This example is not relevant in todays environment

4 Texas teams in Big 12.

4 California teams in Big 12.

Doesn't matter if you're a "charter member" or not. California, Texas, and Florida are all big enough to handle 4 teams in the same conference.

Can’t have Miami, Clemson, and FSU in the same division.

Why not, that's soft talk

Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M

Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Washington State

no other conference is campaigning. It will make the conference better and develop rivalries.

Advertisement
Back