What if the ACC went to 16 Teams?

Rutgers ia a member of the AAU. This organization is by invitation only, there are only 62 schools that have the qualifications to be members. So yes Rutgers is a very good academic school.
However any school to leave the B1G would be foolish.

When I say Very good I usually save that for schools like Duke, ND, Virginia, and the schools right outside of the elites like the Ivys/Stanford/MIT, but yes Rutgers could easily join the ACC. I agree though they would be foolish to leave the B1G.

Advertisement
Very true. Pre-Shalala Miami would not have any chance of joining the ACC. Being in the ACC also boosted up the school academically to were we are today.

Uh, no.

Unlike what Tetragrammaton says, Miami was NOT ranked #95 in 1991. We were already in the low-to-mid 70s by that time. Good lord, we were already in the low 80s when I started school in 1986.

As for "no chance" of joining the ACC, people need to do some research. Take a look at where F$U was ranked in 1991 (or, ****, even today).

Once the ACC took F$U, it has clearly all been about football ever since.

Uh, no.

Unlike what Tetragrammaton says, Miami was NOT ranked #95 in 1991. We were already in the low-to-mid 70s by that time. Good lord, we were already in the low 80s when I started school in 1986.

As for "no chance" of joining the ACC, people need to do some research. Take a look at where F$U was ranked in 1991 (or, ****, even today).

Once the ACC took F$U, it has clearly all been about football ever since.

I have no idea what the rankings were in the 90s. I was just going off of what was said in the thread.

The goal of expanding is to add more TV markets. Yeah, it'd be nice if they have quality athletics and academics, but the point of expanding is to get more TV sets for your upcoming TV contracts.

ND being option 1 is a no-brainer. They'd bring a ****load of midwest TVs with them, plus academics would fit with the ACC and they have a quality football program.

My next two options are Vandy because Nashville is one of the faster growing cities in the country. Good basketball program. Football program is trash, but whatever.

My next option would be Houston. That may be the fastest growing city in the country if I'm not mistaken.

The goal of expanding is to add more TV markets. Yeah, it'd be nice if they have quality athletics and academics, but the point of expanding is to get more TV sets for your upcoming TV contracts.

ND being option 1 is a no-brainer. They'd bring a ****load of midwest TVs with them, plus academics would fit with the ACC and they have a quality football program.

My next two options are Vandy because Nashville is one of the faster growing cities in the country. Good basketball program. Football program is trash, but whatever.

My next option would be Houston. That may be the fastest growing city in the country if I'm not mistaken.

ND would be my pick. you grab the entire chicago market that is generally heavy b10 and ND

Advertisement

LMFAO

1. Vandy is not going to leave the SEC
  2. The ACC is not going to go outside its footprint and bring a G5 school from Texas

Last edited:
Notre Dame and WVU

EAST
Miami
VT
Louisville
BC
ND
Syracuse
Pitt
WVU

ATLANTIC
FSU
GT
Clemson
UNC
NCState
Wake
Duke
UVA

One/Two crossovers that do not count in determining division winner

The more teams you add, the less chance you ever have of ever playing anyone from the opposite division . It might as well be two seperate conferences that play each other in a championship game. I’d rather not even have divisions, have the schedule change every year and have the two best teams face off against each other in the championship

Look at the Big Ten. Wisconsin went from having an exciting tough schedule anually to not playing anyone because just like the playoff, everyone wants everything bigger.

The more teams you add, the less chance you ever have of ever playing anyone from the opposite division . It might as well be two seperate conferences that play each other in a championship game. I’d rather not even have divisions, have the schedule change every year and have the two best teams face off against each other in the championship

Look at the Big Ten. Wisconsin went from having an exciting tough schedule anually to not playing anyone because just like the playoff, everyone wants everything bigger.

Huh?

Wisconsin fans are happy that they are playing Northwestern and Illinois more often.

Advertisement
LMFAO

1. Vandy is not going to leave the SEC
  2. The ACC is not going to go outside its footprint and bring a G5 school from Texas
So you balk at us taking an SEC school and then dismiss bringing in the 7th largest media market in the country simply because it's a group of 5 school? So if we can't take a school from another power 5 conference and bringing in a group of 5 school is beneath us what to you suggest, oh wise one?

Also, about going outside of our "footprint," Louisville sure is centrally located inside the ACC's "footprint." So is their partial member, ND.

WVU is a terrible candidate for UM and for ACC in general.
For starters, they bring zero recruiting territory to the conference.
That state is bereft of prep talent, so this means they have to rely on
Out-of-state talent.
Guess where they will be looking?
To make matters worse, they will prey on kids who are borderline eligible academically, who with a little work can get into UM but will forsake that option.
Temple brings us more exposure to eastern PA and South Jersey and Navy to the DMV....I would go with those 2 instead.
You think adding Navy will bring in the DC kids ?? Temple? This thread is filled with some of the worst ideas imaginable.

I wonder if the ACC could sway Penn State away from the Big Ten.
They could have at one point in time for Sure. PSU was never a true BIG program in the past. But the BIG has done a fabulous job in protecting PSU from the ACC. By adding Maryland and Rutgers the added two close programs and helped PSU in recruiting NJ and MD.. Also realigned to East and West giving PSU annual games with OSU, Mich, Mich St.. They are not leaving now.

Advertisement
You think adding Navy will bring in the DC kids ?? Temple? This thread is filled with some of the worst ideas imaginable.

Recruiting DMV where 1-2 schools on the UM schedule is 30 mintues to 2 hours from family and friends can make a difference. There is a reason why a school like StatePenn wanted Maryland and Rutgers in the Big10.

Why go to 16...I'm all for dropping a couple teams. Less we have to split revenue with. Let's be honest...how much does the Pitt market add for football and basketball?

Very true. We have been trending back since Shalala left. We still are higher than we were pre ACC though.

Do you actually think there is a measurable or real difference in those rankings, say between a school ranked 40 and one ranked 55?

Keeping in mind that the criteria used for ranking, and also their weighting, is purely subjective.

I think you can use those rankings to get a general idea of academic rank, but to view it as a discrete numerical certainty is just folly. Maybe it’s better to look in terms of groups of 10 or 15 to be on the list because otherwise I don’t think it means much of anything.

For example, look where Purdue was ranked. Are you kidding me? Purdue? Do people realize what type of academic institution Purdue is and the type of reputation they have, especially in engineering and the sciences.

If you’re looking at two resumes, both with 4.0 average one at Purdue and one at UFåg, which one is going to impress you the most. Yet one school is ranked 10 spots higher than the other.

There are some posters on here that just want to shlt on Miami academically. I can show you the world rankings where Miami is ranked higher than a lot of schools that are above it in the US News and World report ranking.

Only 10% of their weighted rankings are based on measurable academic performance metrics related to selectivity, exclusivity and academic performance of incoming freshmen. That should tell you all you need to know right there.

Advertisement
Do you actually think there is a measurable or real difference in those rankings, say between a school ranked 40 and one ranked 55?

Keeping in mind that the criteria used for ranking, and also their weighting, is purely subjective.

I think you can use those rankings to get a general idea of academic rank, but to view it as a discrete numerical certainty is just folly. Maybe it’s better to look in terms of groups of 10 or 15 to be on the list because otherwise I don’t think it means much of anything.

For example, look where Purdue was ranked. Are you kidding me? Purdue? Do people realize what type of academic institution Purdue is and the type of reputation they have, especially in engineering and the sciences.

If you’re looking at two resumes, both with 4.0 average one at Purdue and one at UFåg, which one is going to impress you the most. Yet one school is ranked 10 spots higher than the other.

There are some posters on here that just want to shlt on Miami academically. I can show you the world rankings where Miami is ranked higher than a lot of schools that are above it in the US News and World report ranking.

Only 10% of their weighted rankings are based on measurable academic performance metrics related to selectivity, exclusivity and academic performance of incoming freshmen. That should tell you all you need to know right there.

Of course not. I have discussed this numerous time on here with other posters(I think me and you tag teamed another poster about this very subject). OSU and UGA are also pretty highly ranked, but would NEVER get picked over a Miami alumni with a similar GPA. I know for a FACT that UF(who is ranked higher than us) will never get a recent grad placed at an elite PE firm in the city, but Miami still lands kids there every once in a while. Successful companies don't give AF about those rankings. No chance David Solomon says "well you know I really like this kid from Miami and we had success with a lot of kids from Miami in the past, but some guy making 60k a year at US News thinks UF is better so I will give the UF kid the job".

Yes, the general trend is probably accurate(ie. some school ranked 210 like WVU is probably not as good as a school ranked 53(Miami), but overall these lists are just made to sell money and let the people that had 0 success in life brag about their college rankings. Partners at Goldman don't brag about their college ranking, they brag about what they did with their degree. If you find a 50 year old guy talking about how high his college is ranked, he probably had 0 success in the real world.

I was merely stating that we have been trending backwards since Shalala, BUT we are still higher since we joined the ACC. Not that it matters one bit(especially for me, since I already graduated and landed a job. Miami could drop out of the top 250 and I won't all of a sudden be fired since my school dropped). I was just stating that our ranking did go up since we joined the ACC.

Of course not. I have discussed this numerous time on here with other posters(I think me and you tag teamed another poster about this very subject). OSU and UGA are also pretty highly ranked, but would NEVER get picked over a Miami alumni with a similar GPA. I know for a FACT that UF(who is ranked higher than us) will never get a recent grad placed at an elite PE firm in the city, but Miami still lands kids there every once in a while. Successful companies don't give AF about those rankings. No chance David Solomon says "well you know I really like this kid from Miami and we had success with a lot of kids from Miami in the past, but some guy making 60k a year at US News thinks UF is better so I will give the UF kid the job".

Yes, the general trend is probably accurate(ie. some school ranked 210 like WVU is probably not as good as a school ranked 53(Miami), but overall these lists are just made to sell money and let the people that had 0 success in life brag about their college rankings. Partners at Goldman don't brag about their college ranking, they brag about what they did with their degree. If you find a 50 year old guy talking about how high his college is ranked, he probably had 0 success in the real world.

I was merely stating that we have been trending backwards since Shalala, BUT we are still higher since we joined the ACC. Not that it matters one bit(especially for me, since I already graduated and landed a job. Miami could drop out of the top 250 and I won't all of a sudden be fired since my school dropped). I was just stating that our ranking did go up since we joined the ACC.

If you ever get a chance break down the US news and world report criteria. A lot of it has to do with funding and finances. When you have 10% of the weight going to the academic strengths of incoming freshmen that tight there ought to tell you something. And you and I have been in the workforce at a high-level for a few years. Forget Miami, look where Purdue was ranked. That’s a joke. I know that in the scientific and engineering world Purdue might not be MIT, but it’s just a level below. Ridiculous.

The ACC sucks.

Here's what I would do to improve it..... ZERO percent chance this ever happens.

I would KICK OUT Wake Forest, Virginia, NC State, and Boston College.

I would add Notre Dame (full time), Army, Navy, and Penn State.

Then you have a conference with some football tradition and some exciting rivalry games built in.

I would rearrange the brackets.. and Miami would be in the same bracket as FSU, Notre Dame, Navy, Pitt, and Virginia Tech.

I would get rid of the "crossover rivalry" crap. Put rivals on the same side of the bracket. Have one LESS ACC game per year, so that everyone can play a more national schedule.

Finally, I would move the ACC head office to New York, and I would move the championship game to Hard Rock Stadium. If it's good enough for the Orange Bowl and it's good enough to play national championship games there... it's good enough for our conference. No more tobacco road garbage. Literally zero people give a single **** about the state of North Carolina. They should not be running this conference.

Like I said.... ZERO chance of anything like this ever happening.... but it WOULD make this crappy conference at least somewhat interesting to watch from a football perspective. As it it.... playing Duke, Virginia, and Pitt every single year is just dumb and boring.

In a perfect world, Miami, FSU, and Florida should all be in the same conference. It's stupid that they aren't.

Advertisement
Back