What if the ACC went to 16 Teams?

They got screwed out of B12 on the last round of expansion when they voted to stand pat. They were going to be added. B10 will never add UC because OSU would never sign off on that. ACC expanding into the Cincinnati media market makes sense, as its one of the biggest TV markets in the country. Basketball matches up too. I agree though, it's not happening anything soon.

UC thought they were going with Louisville to the ACC. Then thought getting into the Big 12 would be a nice consolation prize.

But UC absolutely sees themselves as more ACC then Big 12.

And we agree ... There is ZERO chance Ohio State allows them into the B1G.

Advertisement
Why would they leave the Big 12?
because the travel for conference games is crazy for them. The Big 12 teams are in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. They don't fit there geographically. ACC is the best basketball conference too and WVU usually is pretty good at basketball. They make too much sense

Advertisement
ND and WVU or Houston. But ACC values academics quite a bit so WVU might be out. Idk how Houston is in that category but it’s a huge market and get the conference into TX

There's no way that any school in the state of Florida should be in this conversation. Its not about us being scared of additional competition. It would not be good for business holistically.
This. There would not be any advantage for the ACC to add another Florida school with us and FSU already having a TV imprint in the state, and that is what would drive an expansion.
Getting Temple for the Philly/E Pennsylvania market and Cincinnati for the Ohio market might make sense. If Memphis had better academic credentials that market would be attractive as well.
With that said financially speaking the ACC officials would try to do everything humanly possible to get ND as a full time member.

I'd imagine most will disagree but I have my doubts over whether the ACC would want UCF and USF. I think their reasoning would be similar to what kept Houston out of the Big12.

"If Houston got into the Big 12, it’d further muddy the waters of a high-stakes recruiting area. Why should Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, or Baylor want to validate any more competition in the state?"

As ridiculous as it sounds I'm not so sure they'd want two additional Florida teams to join due to recruiting AND TV markets. The ACC doesn't want to take either away from Miami or FSU. Florida is already a pillaged state recruiting wise. Moving either up to the ACC would be a major selling point for both UCF and USF. Why give them that?

I just don't see the ACC ever putting 4 instate teams in the same conference.
Duke, North Carolina, wake forest, nc state

Advertisement
A Florida school would not be added. Does little for TV market and conference additions are almost all about tapping TV markets.

Plus Miami and FSU would never vote for it and to add someone to a conference it has to be unanimous among affiliate Universities.

Notre Dame and Navy.

UCF is probably a popular initial idea but I have zero interest in elevating their athletics in-state and they're not a great overall match academically.

I also eliminate the divisions within the conference too.

Not sure why people cant clearly understand the diminishing product you're granted here @ UM when u elevate a centrally-located state team.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Temple is logical because of their rivalry with Pitt and BC and they still hate VT.

But, UCF and USF seems like the logical choice, IMO.

And ND wants ALL THE $$$ to themselves and don't want to split conference $$$ with anyone, which is smart on their part. **** em and they can eat a ****, but smart.

Temple attendance is abysmal. Look elsewhere.

Notre Dame and Navy

North:
Notre Dame
Navy
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College

South:
Miami
Florida State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
Wake Forest

Miami Clemson and FSU all on the same side? Wouldn’t be great for conference championship game.

1. Do you think this is even possible?

2. What 2 teams would you have join? Do you force Notre Dame into being a full time member. Or do you tell Notre Dame to take the rest of your teams and **** off and bring in 2 other teams as full members?

3. What 2 teams would you bring in to make it 16?

I'm nuts but I would love bringing in Army and Navy.

Advertisement
Back