What if the ACC went to 16 Teams?

Yea but it would also back fire because then ND would go back to play a schedule filled with G5 schools while their other sports would be relegated to the Big East or worst.

Advertisement
Jeez.. glad you guys are not in control.. Navy, Cinci, UConn... TEMPLE?? wtf. There is zero reason at this stage to add any school that brings nothing to football. The conference has enough empty stadiums and games no one wants to see. Adding a school like Cinci/Temple ould add a little $$ but with another mouth to feed each school would get less.

Another thing... If we went to 16 teams we could not be split into 2 divisions. It would have to be 4 "pods"

Cincinnati. Best option.

Maybe a Texas team if they are willing, such as a TCU, SMU or Houston.

West Virginia has terrible academics, but is a good option athletically.

Maryland was ideal. It was lunacy on their part to leave.

Illinois matches up well with the ACC but am not sure they would be willing to leave their conference. Nortwhestern would also be perfect if the continue to improve their football team.

Another thing... If we went to 16 teams we could not be split into 2 divisions. It would have to be 4 "pods"

Im sorry but the Pod idea is stupid 2 Divisions of 8 would mean 7 divisional games and 2 non-divisional games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cincinnati. Best option.

Illinois matches up well with the ACC but am not sure they would be willing to leave their conference. Nortwhestern would also be perfect if the continue to improve their football team.

Let’s take away a chance to play more of the competitive teams intercoference so we can play Illinois. Sounds good

Cincinnati. Best option.

A Texas Team will never join the ACC

Cincinnati? Please, they will forever play 5th fiddle in their own city behind Ohio State, Kentucky, Notre Dame, and Louisville.

Louisville academics is just as bad.

I agree with Maryland, same thing with Rutgers picking the BIG over the ACC

Illinois, Northwestern will never ever leave the BIG.

Here's the thing not many options help the school that would have to leave their conference and the ACC. Either you're not huge on academics, football or basketball is irrelevant and you won't be a credible school for a future entertaining rivalry. The ACC is about to have it's own network so if they're going to share the pie then other then ND who I don't see coming it's mqybe Maryland and maybe UCF and USF who I'm not afraid of and who I'd rather get other Florida talents then the SEC or Big12 so the whole state has a better chance at building a wall around but that's just me

Advertisement
Add Notre Dame as a full member.

Then add the University of Cincinnati as the 16th member.

ACC North

Notre Dame
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Boston College
Pitt
Louisville
UVA
VT

ACC South

G Tech
Clemson
Miami
FSU
Wake
NC State
UNC
Duke

9 conference games per year.

Division winners play for the conference title.
That ACC North looks pretty weak.

1. Do you think this is even possible?

2. What 2 teams would you have join? Do you force Notre Dame into being a full time member. Or do you tell Notre Dame to take the rest of your teams and **** off and bring in 2 other teams as full members?

3. What 2 teams would you bring in to make it 16?
Either WV and UCF, UCF and USF or USF and WV. Motherfcuk nd.

Notre Dame and Navy.

UCF is probably a popular initial idea but I have zero interest in elevating their athletics in-state and they're not a great overall match academically.

I also eliminate the divisions within the conference too.
What about a championship game? Just 1 vs 2 or scrap it all together?

Advertisement
With the ACC Network coming in this is all about adding schools that expand your subscriber footprint. If we were going to expand the logical first calls are Texas, Oklahoma and West Virginia in my opinion.

Exactly this. Those two have been rumored to join the Pac and SEC at different times. So why not the ACC?

With the ACC Network coming in this is all about adding schools that expand your subscriber footprint. If we were going to expand the logical first calls are Texas, Oklahoma and West Virginia in my opinion.
3 states perfect for the Atlantic coast conference!

You’re right tho, the number of eyeballs would need to be one of the highest considerations. If not the highest.

What about WVU? They are a Top 25 Overall Athletic Program. They are in a Top 15 in Merchandise. Fit right into the footprint. Long time rivals of Syracuse, Pitt, and VT. And have huge alumni representation in DC, Charlotte, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. And they only compete for TV set in their state with Marshall.
They do fit the bill. My hesitation with WVU stems from our Big East days and attending a game in that sh1thole Morgantown. They make LSU and Miami fans look like a wine and cheese crowd. By far some of the most inbred toothless white trash in existence. I remember when Ferguson (sp) our tailback tore his acl there and the fans prevented the ambulance from taking him to the hospital. They where actually rocking it trying to tip it with him inside. Then the couch burning, spitting, beer can throwing. That whole state can’t die out from their Heroin epidemic fast enough.

Advertisement
What about a championship game? Just 1 vs 2 or scrap it all together?

No, you absolutely have to have it in the era of the Playoff but I just go to the best 2 conference records get in. Obviously not ideal since you have too many teams to play each other every year but the divisional formal isn't exactly always super fair either.

This strengthens the overall conference by giving you the best possible championship game and you get Miami playing Clemson or BC more than once a decade, etc etc.

Last edited:
I'd imagine most will disagree but I have my doubts over whether the ACC would want UCF and USF. I think their reasoning would be similar to what kept Houston out of the Big12.

"If Houston got into the Big 12, it’d further muddy the waters of a high-stakes recruiting area. Why should Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, or Baylor want to validate any more competition in the state?"

As ridiculous as it sounds I'm not so sure they'd want two additional Florida teams to join due to recruiting AND TV markets. The ACC doesn't want to take either away from Miami or FSU. Florida is already a pillaged state recruiting wise. Moving either up to the ACC would be a major selling point for both UCF and USF. Why give them that?

I just don't see the ACC ever putting 4 instate teams in the same conference.

ND will never join but I would explore Memphis and West Virgina. I’m not going to elevate UCF and USF.

North:
WVU
Memphis
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College

South:
Miami
Florida State