What hurts the most

After our fake field goal, we had the ball at their 11 yard line, up 20-17 with 11 minutes to play. Instead of going up 10 or even 6, we come away with nothing. Cue the momentum shift. That’s immediately followed by a long completion by Franks that leads to what proved to be the game winner.

I expect bumps and bruises from a young team and we’ll learn to capitalize on mistakes without making self-inflicted ones as the season progresses.

Advertisement
What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.

UF fan here and I honestly was very impressed by the young QB. But I do think besides the muffed punt you played a very good game and we played a really really bad game. Those not forced fumbles and PIs willl be cleaned up, but that O-line doesnt just get cleaned up that'll take time and if we played next week i think our fumbles and PIs would be gone but your o line play would be identical.

Also idk wh you didn't run the wildcat more, ran it twice and burned us both times for a lot. That #4 is the real deal

Uf is terrible both teams showed how far they are from top tier that clemson bama level of football is just on another planet us and fla arent even in the same stratosphere, the only positive imo is we didnt win the game nothing worse than smoke and mirrors that will set a program back even more imo we had some of that with the past regimes

EVERYONE is that far away from Clemson and Bama

Enos is a problem. His offense is wayyy to similar to Richt's offense in 2016. I been saying that for a while but man did it show in the UF game. Offensively this game reminded me of the 2016 ND game were ND just dominated our OL and Richt still kept running long developing play action plays under center despite the fact we couldn't block long enough.

I learned my lesson with Richt. I defended Richt's offense because I thought it would get better but instead it got worse. Not to mention Enos has never put together an great or even good offensive group. Last time I checked he couldn't save Bret Bielema's job so what would make me think he going to do any better here? Not to mention, he is making 1M to produce a great offense not just one that is slightly better then Richt's.

This was just an expensive Patrick Nix type hire. Enos destroyed Manny's defense in 2015 like Nix did to Shannon in 2008 and we saw how that played out. History could be repeating it self.

The stubbornness was reminiscent of Richt but the offense is not as simplistic. If we start seeing weeks on end of this with no changes then it’s deja vu all over again. Too early to start the comparisons though.

Another thing is that Manny seems more hungry and determined to succeed than Richt so the whole dynamic and urgency of this staff will be different. I am still hopeful that the necessary adjustments will be made.

Still have a chance to have a successful season if winning coastal is the bar. Not ready yet for prime time this year though.

After our fake field goal, we had the ball at their 11 yard line, up 20-17 with 11 minutes to play. Instead of going up 10 or even 6, we come away with nothing. Cue the momentum shift. That’s immediately followed by a long completion by Franks that leads to what proved to be the game winner.

I expect bumps and bruises from a young team and we’ll learn to capitalize on mistakes without making self-inflicted ones as the season progresses.
This. That was ball game.

We don’t have the OL to just run it in from there. Sadly we haven’t had that for 15+ years.

Advertisement
What hurts the most is that UF isn’t very good. This was the perfect game to introduce the world to “The New Miami” and it didn’t happen.

- The story of the game is that our freshman tackles got dominated. The coaches gambled by not playing the Scaife at tackle and it backfired. Campbell and Nelson did not look ready physically or mentally against UF’s much older DEs. Do you go back to Scaife and risk killing your young players’ confidence? Barry may not have a choice.

- Jarren looked good under tough circumstances. I liked his poise. But we said similar things about Kyle Wright after FSU ‘05 and Stephen Morris after Maryland ‘11. The key will be his consistency in the ACC. He threw some dimes today.

- In the offseason, Manny talked a lot about special teams and tackling being the difference in opening games. The missed tackles on the Toney run were devastating and special teams had two critical errors. There were 114 yards in penalties, too. Not a great start for Manny but it’s a long season.

There are two weeks before the next game. North Carolina is garbage but they have a new staff and should be fired up to play at home. That game will be telling as to whether anything has changed or it is the same old story.

We have a solid group of guys on D and to have only 4 CB’s on scholly last night it’s telling about who we are. TNM is going to be playing their best when season ends.

We had chances to put the game away and then chances to steal it. UF played a horrible game (worse than us) and deserved to lose. We didn’t make it happen. Good teams find a way to run away and steam roll a team that was as bad as UF last night. An average team finds a way to steal that game late when they have no business doing so. We did neither. It’s disheartening

D$ nailed it. Florida isn’t anywhere near elite, and their QB is a gigantic version of Rosier.

I, too, got Kyle Wright 2005 flashbacks. I remember feeling like **** that we lost that game but hopeful that we had a good QB. He was just young and his OL was terrible. Well, as it turned out, he wasn’t very good because he couldn’t process info quickly enough.

I said when Jarren was named starter that that would be something to keep an eye on and even discussed Wright.

I also mentioned that I would have used Scaife at Tackle this season and tried to get someone ready at G. Then, once again, I became willing to drink the bath water assuming that Zion must be doing a great job against our excellent DEs, or else why would they keep him out there.

Well, he clearly was nowhere near ready to play at this level against this sort of competition. Either we didn’t practice hard enough to give him a good enough look, or our OL coach is really bad at evaluating who should be starting. Because it seemed pretty obvious right away that he was completely overmatched.

Like you said, if we get into a dog fight with a horrible UNC team and slog our way to a close or sloppy win, then it’s likely SOS.

This was super sloppy and really disheartening to watch. People keep talking about the number 8 team. Florida reminds me of that Ped State team that came down here and was supposedly preseason number 1. We lost a close one on the Fields catch. That Ped State team wound up being a fraud just like this Florida team.

Nail.On.Head.

Advertisement
UF fan here and I honestly was very impressed by the young QB. But I do think besides the muffed punt you played a very good game and we played a really really bad game. Those not forced fumbles and PIs willl be cleaned up, but that O-line doesnt just get cleaned up that'll take time and if we played next week i think our fumbles and PIs would be gone but your o line play would be identical.

Also idk wh you didn't run the wildcat more, ran it twice and burned us both times for a lot. That #4 is the real deal
Our drops would probably be cleaned up next week too. Bubba makes the chip shot next week. You guys went for it on 4th down twice and used a fake field goal or punt, I don't remember. Our defense is already really good and your offense won't be much better next week. Game probably remains close.

Let’s be real. Your qb is real bad and his hypesman campaign (“and putting up 50 on every opponent”) is a friggin joke. Your front 7 though is solid.

The difference was our oline could not sustain their blocks even with minimal pressure so you guys could sit back in coverage without over committing to the rush.

Even so we still had a chance despite our horrendous oline play, multiple procedure penalties, and muffs.

You guys will not being going anywhere w/ Franks. Mullins is a decent coach though so might be able to scheme around him like he’s done in the past. But I don’t expect you guys to stay anywhere the top 10 by season’s end.

I hope Barry doesn't shuffle the OL. Let them take their licks now. It's only beneficial in the long run. I'm tired of the knee jerk reaction on the OL.

Williams did well all things considered but he could've limited some sacks. He had a dump off to Harley for 70 yards and he'd still be running.

First start at QB, LT, RT, C. Very winnable game but under the circumstances I'm not furious. JT was in his own head and made some boneheaded plays. Hopefully he finishes the season strong.

I'm still waiting for the "holding" replay on Cam's run.

Totally agree, everyone on here thru Friday was saying this was going to be a tough game and probably the hardest of the regular season and it was winnable! Use the momentum

Advertisement
JT4 and the kicker should have been told to find their own rides home. Simply inexcuseable for a non-freshman to make the mistakes those 2 guys made last night, and both cost us the game.

But beyond that, if Scaife isn't formally announced back at tackle THIS week.....well then we'll know right away we're dealing with a coaching issue......AGAIN.

Maybe I am being dense, but what is with the talk about our special teams coaching lacking ? I mean, how do you coach a kid not to muff a punt or miss a chip shot ? That’s not coaching that’s on the players . I didn’t see anything else wrong with our special teams besides those two errors .

Advertisement
Hopefully our WRs get better separation v UNC. Maybe that leads to our tackles not looking so bad too?

Watching live at the stadium you eyes can’t be everywhere, But on replay, your point may become more apparent. He did miss wide receivers coming open on at least 3 different occasions.

But nobody should get me wrong.

I saw tremendous promise, but he’s a work in progress, which is to be expected, unless some peeps have an agenda.

He flashed some plays when if he really keeps learning and growing, we may really have something very good. Time will tell.

What hurts the most is that special teams cost us the season last year and Diaz's solution was to put someone who has never been a ST coach in charge. I thought Manny would tighten up the little things so at least those wouldn't cost us games.

What hurts second most is the missed opportunity to revamp the offense and implement a college style spread O. Riddle me this, in 2010 when Oregon went to the BCS championship an undefeated 12-0, how did they manage to set records with a starting OL that consisted of three 2 star players, one 3 star, and one 4 star? (Btw that championship caliber team also had virtually no defense and a mediocre QB). Pace, spacing, and timing. Yet Diaz sticks with Miamis pro style (but Enos uses motion so the results will be different!) Enos calls plays like we have Bamas OL, and the result is an unbelievable 10 sacks by a defense that will probably rank about 26th at the end of the season.

Meh. How the **** can you coach a guy to not miss a 20 yd FG and coach an experienced jr return man to not let the ball go right through his hands.

Kickoffs, kickoff coverage, punting, and punt coverage were all fine.

They can’t catch that’s for sure. Would love to see more Hightower and Pope if Pope knows his assignments. I’ll take Martell in on Wildcat formations.

What happened to Wiggins? Did he even play? I think he had some drops last year but I think he has potential.

Advertisement
Back