What did Willis do wrong

I doubt very highly that Richt "bad mouthed" him. *But I do believe the report that former coaches on both staffs spoke negatively about Willis. I can see Richt being honest when asked about how things were before he turned this around the last 2 years. Also heard Kool was throwing most of the shade surprisingly. Richt will never coach again no point from him to go out of his way to hurt a kids chances of getting drafted. Sounds like terrible representation at the end of the day. Also poor self discipline.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don’t think it had anything to do with his agent. From Manny Navarro’s article, it sounds like he was bad mouthed by people at Florida, AND some old coaches on Golden and Richt’s Staff. I live in Atlanta, and I was sure the Falcons and Jess Simpson would grab him once he started to get passed up.
That Simpson pass was surprising.

I doubt very highly that Richt "bad mouthed" him. I can see Richt being honest when asked about how things were before he turned this around the last 2 years. Also heard Kool was throwing most of the shade surprisingly. Richt will never coach again no point from him to go out of his way to hurt a kids chances of getting drafted. Sounds like terrible representation at the end of the day. Also poor self discipline.

Try rereading the piece. It doesnt say Richt bad mouthed him. It says someone on richt’s staff may have.

Simpson went to the falcons, right? He would know if Willis should have been taken. DL was a need area for them. They didnt take him.

Maybe folks who had reason to know had a different opinion than a fan board. I like willis as a player but it ain’t a coincidence what happened in the draft.

Honestly I seriously doubt anybody from either Miami or Florida trashed the guy they probably simply answered questions honestly. At Florida he was kicked off the team so I’m sure he’s not getting a glowing report from them. At Miami he had to take a year off for some unknown reason, those are huge red flags for teams. Plus if he honestly was late to meetings and interviews and then canceled an interview with the team well you can’t be surprised. He’s on the team now the ball is in his court.

Advertisement
It seems like some of you want people to lie about what they think of a player just because it's time for them to make that money.

If you were a teacher and a C- student with behavior problems came up to you asking for a Letter of Recommendation to go to college...are you going to write up a letter of recommendation? I mean, I'm not. I won't bad mouth the kid, but I'm going to politely tell the kid I can't do that.

The coach-scout-pro personnel relationship is built on trust that is as unbiased as possible. Do you think Craig Kuligowski is going to lie about his feelings about a former player of his to an area scout or personnel man when the basis on Kul's relationship with that scout is trust? I would certainly hope not.

They will dock you for the littlest things for sure and if you combine the litany of issues he has had before then they use that against you. Now that I’m taking a step back it kind of does make sense a little bit. But ultimately he should have still been picked late

Bowl games, combines, & Pro Days are basically job interviews, can't miss those and expect to get a job...so no, they aren't "the littlest of things".

For a kid that was probably a 5th Rd. prospect at best coming into the draft, He did Himself no favors.

They will dock you for the littlest things for sure and if you combine the litany of issues he has had before then they use that against you. Now that I’m taking a step back it kind of does make sense a little bit. But ultimately he should have still been picked late

I wonder if Simpson bad mouthed him

Advertisement
Honestly I seriously doubt anybody from either Miami or Florida trashed the guy they probably simply answered questions honestly. At Florida he was kicked off the team so I’m sure he’s not getting a glowing report from them. At Miami he had to take a year off for some unknown reason, those are huge red flags for teams. Plus if he honestly was late to meetings and interviews and then canceled an interview with the team well you can’t be surprised. He’s on the team now the ball is in his court.

Right...the indignation from some of our fans because He wasn't drafted is bizarre. 19 pages???...seriously???

I doubt very highly that Richt "bad mouthed" him. I can see Richt being honest when asked about how things were before he turned this around the last 2 years. Also heard Kool was throwing most of the shade surprisingly. Richt will never coach again no point from him to go out of his way to hurt a kids chances of getting drafted. Sounds like terrible representation at the end of the day. Also poor self discipline.

He likely did bad mouth him by telling the “truth”. Guarantee you he told the “truth” in order to be “honest” with NFL scouts.

Coaches hide behind that **** all the time.

He likely did bad mouth him by telling the “truth”. Guarantee you he told the “truth” in order to be “honest” with NFL scouts.

Coaches hide behind that **** all the time.
Still don’t believe richt did that, he vouched and praised Willis every chance he got last year. Maybe one of the other coaches under him though

Advertisement
Still don’t believe richt did that, he vouched and praised Willis every chance he got last year. Maybe one of the other coaches under him though

That’s public praise...means nothing imo.

I’m pretty sure every coach associated with Willis during his career told their truth...it’s just the nature of the business.

Try rereading the piece. It doesnt say Richt bad mouthed him. It says someone on richt’s staff may have.

Simpson went to the falcons, right? He would know if Willis should have been taken. DL was a need area for them. They didnt take him.

Maybe folks who had reason to know had a different opinion than a fan board. I like willis as a player but it ain’t a coincidence what happened in the draft.

That’s the biggest indictment against Willis especially since he was the DL coach that coached him to such a productive season.

Then you mix in the pre draft stuff and you can see why he went undrafted.

That’s public praise...means nothing imo.

I’m pretty sure every coach associated with Willis during his career told their truth...it’s just the nature of the business.
True , couldn’t escape his past. I hope This is a clear message for players for the rest of our players. This and the fact that some of guys who didn’t test well athletically (Jaquan and joe jack) went lower than what many thought they would.

Advertisement
I wonder if Simpson bad mouthed him

GM looks at Simpson and says we need a dline here what about Willis and Simpson shoulder shrugs. Does Simpson have to say anything at that point?

It’s insider trading the info that Simpson has so his lack of enthusiasm for Willis if I were a GM would be all I needed to know.

I wonder if the Falcons even inquired about signing there if he went undrafted. If that wasn’t discussed, he has some serious red flags.

Hopefully Willis uses this as motivation.

Advertisement
Back