What did Willis do wrong

Advertisement
They do ask the DTs to get up field. I don't follow the ravens close enough to know names, but I know when they get in the 2-3-6 it's like a version of our 4-2-5 the way they have a 3rd safety come in the box and attack the offense. On all the dime packages the ravens run u will see GW on the field.
Everyone rushes the qb on 3rd and long especially in dime packages lol. You keep bringing up their dime and nickel packages. Willis will not maximize his potential lining over center. Which is what the Ravens fo in their base defense. Ravens primarily use big strong guys up front. Haloti Ngata, kelly Gregg, Brandon Williams, terrence Cody. And power rushers at the DE spot.

Last edited:
Good point on Simpson/Falcons passing, especially in late rounds or even a FA offer
Yep. If Simpson didnt think he should be brought in as an UFA, that’s a wow.

I think Willis can be a good nfl player from what my eyes saw, but there’s a lot that goes into it that we don’t get to see, and it sure sounds like he didn’t really fix all of that.

As an aside, I doubt the former Florida guys’ feedback mattered here. He was at UM for what, 4 years? Golden’s staff may have been negative but 3 of the 4 years were Richt.

Oddly enough, this makes me more optimistic about our DL this year.

Advertisement
What bothers me the most about the Gerald Willis situation is that there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why some guys get a pass for past indiscretions while others don't. Jeffery Simmons wasn't affected whatsoever by him beating a woman and they got it on tape. Simmons also has a torn ACL and yet went 19th overall. Overall!

Then you've got guys like Dakota Allen who were once upon a time charged with a felony and kicked off a team, yet are still drafted.

But others like Gerald Willis and Preston Williams kept on the straight and narrow for a couple years with no incidents and go undrafted, despite clearly having the talent to be Day 2 picks. It's rampant hypocrisy.

I'm absolutely no fan of Rosenscum but you couldn't be more offbase about minimalizing his ability to assuage front office concerns vs 7th Round's obvious complete inability on that front.

There is ZERO chance that a Rosenscum client projected by most as 2nd-3rd rounder ends up as an UFA. Rosenscum's Draft Day failures have been pretty much limited to the reverse- convincing kids that they would go higher than the consensus projections.

exactly.

Advertisement
To put it simply, every single thing Willis did after we played our last regular season game was the wrong thing.

Not one smart decision.

And who is supposed to guide him through this pre-draft maze?

Beware undocumented reports of coaches badmouthing him.

Sounds like an easy out for shltty representation.

But where was his family? His father ? How about his brother (step brother/half brother?) Landon Collins? Where were they in this process? Surely his family would have tried to make sure he did what he had to do. He's got an advantage most guys in the draft don't have.

and the father specifically said in the Athletic interview that Willis was going home to work out/train with Collins.

Really strange..... The only thing that strikes me about all of this is maybe Willis just didn't listen to anyone. Took no advice and essentially screwed himself. No one knows for sure

That sounds like a passive aggressive indictment against Willis, no? Richt could have easily vouched for him and gave teams his blessing. The silent treatment probably scared teams off.

You’re making shlt up. Nice imagination.

What I heard was he had no formal NFL discussions regarding anyone on defense.

Nothing passive aggressive about that.

But go ahead and propagate Pete’s agenda to cover his *** for his shltty third-grade unprepared representation.

Guy barely played in five years. That was the elephant in the room.

He could've played last year, sat out.

He could've played in the bowl game, sat out.

Senior bowl, sat out.

Combine, Willis ain't got time for that, sat out.

Meetings, please, sat out.

Guy is a perpetual no show.

All of this screams mental issue. That is what I've heard.

Advertisement
You’re making shlt up. Nice imagination.

What I heard was he had no formal NFL discussions regarding anyone on defense.

Nothing passive aggressive about that.

But go ahead and propagate Pete’s agenda to cover his *** for his shltty third-grade unprepared representation.
Well, that's different than what you posted earlier about Richt not having any discussions with scouts about Willis. I interpreted that as Richt chose not to discuss him in particular. Coaches play an active role in the draft process and routinely give feedback, but I'd expect Pete to ensure someone from the team assuaged any fears teams might have by vouching for his guy.

Make no mistake about it, I'm not propagating for Pete. This was a huge failure on his end.

That incident at UF is minor compared to what Simmons did. When you get into day 3, the investment is minor and so is the money. Willis is a guy with significant talent that you can have for cheap right now.

The issue is we know what simmons did and after. W Willis, we know he fought a teammate at uf, had a mysterious 2017 leave of absence that no one knows why or what caused it. There must be something we don’t know as to why he didn’t get picked.

Advertisement
That sounds like a passive aggressive indictment against Willis, no? Richt could have easily vouched for him and gave teams his blessing. The silent treatment probably scared teams off.
You dont know what richt said or didn’t, about him or anyone else, or how that related to Richt’s general approach on this stuff.

One thing that richt cares about is his own integrity. He’s not going to torch his own reputation in any case, for any kid.

Blaming Richt is absurd here. This one is on GW.

Do you know what I don't see? Current and former coaches calling Willis' draft position a joke. There is obviously something that we are not seeing. I am a big fan of Willis, I really hope he does well.

Good point. I would have expected to see Manny throw a tweet out there about it

Advertisement
Back