What did Willis do wrong

Well, that's different than what you posted earlier about Richt not having any discussions with scouts about Willis. I interpreted that as Richt chose not to discuss him in particular. Coaches play an active role in the draft process and routinely give feedback, but I'd expect Pete to ensure someone from the team assuaged any fears teams might have by vouching for his guy.

Make no mistake about it, I'm not propagating for Pete. This was a huge failure on his end.
Maybe that wasn’t a viable strategy? Maybe people who worked with Willis and who value their reputations weren’t going to risk their reputations by vouching for him?

Maybe Pete messed up, but that too is a projection. Maybe Pete’s mistake was working with him. Pete seemed to do okay for the Alabama State guy.

Advertisement
You dont know what richt said or didn’t, about him or anyone else, or how that related to Richt’s general approach on this stuff.

One thing that richt cares about is his own integrity. He’s not going to torch his own reputation in any case, for any kid.

Blaming Richt is absurd here. This one is on GW.
I was going by what OCCC said that, "It’s my understanding that Richt did not discuss Willis with any scouts." If Richt didn't speak to scouts about any of the players, that's one thing. If he just chose not to talk about Willis, that's different.

Whether some of the blame should be attributed to Richt or not does not in any way absolve Pete for his failure as an agent. We all knew Willis had some red flags entering the Draft. It's on the agent to alleviate those the best he can. Allowing a player with a 2nd/3rd round grade go undrafted is simply indefensible.

Didn’t the DL from Florida (Polite) have an awful showing at the combine? Bad testing numbers and terrible interviews. He still got drafted in the 3rd round.

As predicted, the narrative has been floated and is now being debated about coaches having badmouthed this kid. An obvious move by an agent trying to cover up their own failings.

Here's the bottomline. Gerald Willis was a team captain in 2018. That's ALL you need as a competent agent worth your salt and salary to combat any potential (or made up post facto) badmouthing.

A team captain with a universal 2nd to 4th (at worst) round grade at a money position in today's NFL simply does not go UNDRAFTED unless he fails multiple drug tests and/or gets arrested right before the Draft OR has beyond inept people around him and advising/enabling him during the process.

Rosenscum gets this kid drafted in the 3rd round, imo. Not only does he assuage any front office concerns but he probably has GMs like Dave Gettleman thinking 3 teams that pick after them are absolutely taking him.

Last edited:
A Louisiana kid picked up by the Ravens.
I wonder if Ed Reed played a role here.
BTW, whatever it is that he did, if he did it, should not be exposed.
Just saying because I know we have so-called fans who can't keep shti to themselves.

Advertisement
I was going by what OCCC said that, "It’s my understanding that Richt did not discuss Willis with any scouts." If Richt didn't speak to scouts about any of the players, that's one thing. If he just chose not to talk about Willis, that's different.
We don’t know what Richt did here, but even if he didn’t handle the discussion the same way, it’d still be unfair to blame Richt for anything. It’s entirely possible Richt concluded saying nothing (‘no comment’) would be better for GW than taking the call. Unless you think Richt will lie or the people he would be talking to were born yesterday, this isn’t very hard to understand.

Whether some of the blame should be attributed to Richt or not does not in any way absolve Pete for his failure as an agent. We all knew Willis had some red flags entering the Draft. It's on the agent to alleviate those the best he can. Allowing a player with a 2nd/3rd round grade go undrafted is simply indefensible.
Everyone is blaming Pete, but just as with Richt, those who blame Pete don’t have any relevant facts. Pete may have done everything he could to alleviate concerns. Maybe the issue was Willis, not his advisor. Ultimately, draft decisions are made by teams, not agents. And the reasons Willis didnt get drafted include plenty of factors that happened during the draft process. You can blame Pete if you want for that, but it’s not an informed view.

As predicted, the narrative has been floated and is now being debated about coaches having badmouthed this kid. An obvious move by an agent trying to cover up their own failings.

Here's the bottomline. Gerald Willis was a team captain in 2018. That's ALL you need as a competent agent worth your salt and salary to combat any potential (or made up post facto) badmouthing.

A team captain with a universal 2nd and 4th (at worst) round grade at a money position in today's NFL simply does not go UNDRAFTED unless he fails multiple drug tests and/or get arrested right before the Draft OR had beyond inept people around him and advising/enabling him during the process.

Rosenscum gets this kid drafted in the 3rd round at worst, imo. Not only does he assuage any front office concerns but he probably has GMs like Dave Gettleman thinking 3 teams that pick after them are absolutely taking him.

I always thought second round was higher for Willis but I couldn't imagine him going undrafted. Sure the guy had some past issues but he should have been coached on how to handle those during interviews. He and his representation should have had statements from past and current coaches and those coaches should have had interviews set up. Willis peaked late in his career, so whoever advised him to skip senior bowl should be fired. This smells of someone telling him he is going a lot higher than he should have gone.

We don’t know what Richt did here, but even if he didn’t handle the discussion the same way, it’d still be unfair to blame Richt for anything. It’s entirely possible Richt concluded saying nothing (‘no comment’) would be better for GW than taking the call. Unless you think Richt will lie or the people he would be talking to were born yesterday, this isn’t very hard to understand.

Everyone is blaming Pete, but just as with Richt, those who blame Pete don’t have any relevant facts. Pete may have done everything he could to alleviate concerns. Maybe the issue was Willis, not his advisor. Ultimately, draft decisions are made by teams, not agents. And the reasons Willis didnt get drafted include plenty of factors that happened during the draft process. You can blame Pete if you want for that, but it’s not an informed view.
Well, as @Tad Footeball noted above, Willis was a captain for Richt. So you're saying that it'd be OK for a coach to keep silent about one of his captains or that somehow his reputation would be on the line?

If a player is good enough to be your captain, he's **** well good enough to endorse to anyone who asks. Period.

Well, that's different than what you posted earlier about Richt not having any discussions with scouts about Willis. I interpreted that as Richt chose not to discuss him in particular. Coaches play an active role in the draft process and routinely give feedback, but I'd expect Pete to ensure someone from the team assuaged any fears teams might have by vouching for his guy.

Make no mistake about it, I'm not propagating for Pete. This was a huge failure on his end.

You’re making huge assumptions.

In case you don’t know, Richt checked out. Once he walked, he walked. Some might say he checked out before that, but that’s not the point.

You made a huge assumption based on literally nothing,

Advertisement

A team captain with a universal 2nd to 4th (at worst) round grade at a money position in today's NFL simply does not go UNDRAFTED unless he fails multiple drug tests and/or get arrested right before the Draft OR has beyond inept people around him and advising/enabling him during the process.

Rosenscum gets this kid drafted in the 3rd round, imo. Not only does he assuage any front office concerns but he probably has GMs like Dave Gettleman thinking 3 teams that pick after them are absolutely taking him.
Best Post of Day

Well, as @Tad Footeball noted above, Willis was a captain for Richt. So you're saying that it'd be OK for a coach to keep silent about one of his captains or that somehow his reputation would be on the line?

If a player is good enough to be your captain, he's **** well good enough to endorse to anyone who asks. Period.

Nobody called Richt about Willis. Are you really this dense?

A team captain with a universal 2nd to 4th (at worst) round grade at a money position in today's NFL simply does not go UNDRAFTED unless he fails multiple drug tests and/or get arrested right before the Draft OR has beyond inept people around him and advising/enabling him during the process.

Brother we both saw this coming yesterday.

Pete has really turned out to be a punk piece of shlt.

This is 100% on him.

People need to stop fronting for Pete.

He’s strictly amateur hour.

Another hustler/hanger-on.

I wouldn’t let him represent my dog.

Brother we both saw this coming yesterday.

Pete has really turned out to be a punk piece of shlt.

This is 100% on him.

People need to stop fronting for Pete.

He’s strictly amateur hour.

Another hustler/hanger-on.

I wouldn’t let him represent my dog.
Yet people on here are still gonna want to bend over for Pete. Guy is the biggest piece of **** ever.

Advertisement
Pete’s a rookie agent. Ideally, he should be working under a seasoned and experienced agent who should be managing and teaching him. Does the owner of FRM have a lot of experience or is he a newbie too? If there’s no experienced agent there then that’s just a big fail from the beginning.

I've seen some gator fans laughing and claiming they had former coaches tell NFL people not to draft him. They think it's funny he left UF and came here and didn't get drafted. Some of them said it's pay back for him transferring.

Not saying Willis may have contributed to this as well but if they did **** like this then I ******* hate them even more and hope we absolutly skill fuxk them

Advertisement
Folks, everything written is all speculation, no one knows why except GW himself....We may never hear, right now, it's all chatter and opinion

If you watch the draft call to Michael Jackson, Jason Garrett said he heard great things about him from Richt.

Pete’s a rookie agent. Ideally, he should be working under a seasoned and experienced agent who should be managing and teaching him. Does the owner of FRM have a lot of experience or is he a newbie too? If there’s no experienced agent there then that’s just a big fail from the beginning.
I think most people here overestimate just what Pete does. Pete is a rookie he probably has little to nothing to do with actual agent dealings. He is there for his connections with South Florida players from his days talking to them for this site. He is there to convince them to sign with the agency.

People on here seem to think Pete owns this agency. I'm not defending him because if something fishy was happening he should of stepped up and said something, but there is no way he has enough power or knowledge to even take lead on a single player

Advertisement
Back