What ConstitutesAcceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

What Constitutes Acceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is progress.....Best Fries EVER....Hotdogs to kill for....
20210413_110744.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Thete were only certain choices and you are over interpreting for people.
I’m trying to establish some standards and baselines. If a coach in Manny’s situation doesn’t make acceptable progress then he should be gone. He didn’t make acceptable progress last year with UNC or the year before with FIU. People (not you) want to talk about program standards and be hardline & that’s fine if that’s how they feel. But they should be fair and consistent, whatever their take is.

I think the first and 5th groups are off base. The 1st group has an unrealistic standard of progress for 2021. The last group is too lenient on what’s acceptable progress.

I’m going to end up doing another poll to work through this more bluntly so that there’s no doubt.
It’s the whole Earl Little Jr limited contact scenario all over again.
There’s a reason I voted in Group 4 for Acceptable Progress. It’s because that’s my honest tolerance level for saying he needs to go. your tolerance level isn’t 14-1 or better but you voted in Group 1.

If a coach who has been here as long as Manny has, isn’t making Acceptable Progress, he needs to go. If you think someone is an idiot for firing a coach going 10-2 then you shouldn’t select the 14-1/15-0 group as acceptable progress.

I don’t understand why you and @puertorricane both selected Group 1 instead of a more reasonable expectation for 2021, 15-0 notwithstanding. Of course I know neither of you would call for Manny’s firing if he went 10-2 but the point of this whole exercise is to get baselines not for blustering or ceiling setting goals.

Forget about the bowl game. We should have an 11-1 regular season and no worse than 10-2 and at 10-2 with a close loss to UNC most of the board says he needs to go. Beyond that we’re spinning our wheels. We play in the CoRstal. We have a ton of returning players too. We play an 11-1 schedule for who we have on our roster and who we play. No one knows what will be in the fall. Doesn’t matter at this point. We need to perform at a certain level this year.
You’re right, but We’ll be spinning our wheels anyway if he wins 8 or more games, maybe even 7, because he won’t be fired. they wouldn’t fire richt after 7 wins and wouldn’t fire golden after only 6. Clemson or the aggies are going to have to beat us by 50 next year for this admin to take any action. This is the new Miami...

Advertisement
I think the issue is many posters are content to keep a coach who fails to display ‘acceptable progress.’ They’re not being ‘inconistent,’ because you didn’t also ask people whether we should fire a coach who failed to show ‘acceptable progress’ in year 3. They’ll sputter something about ‘on tje hot seat’ or ‘one more year.’

What we will really learn from your poll isn’t who’s inconsistent. It’s who really has standards (whatever they are).

Nope. Nobody feels that way. This is just more Mope Mythbuilding.

This is progress.....Best Fries EVER....Hotdogs to kill for....View attachment 145600

Hot Dog Heaven?

A new place just opened in Altamonte, "Chicago Dog and Co" and they've had long lines for 2 weeks. The other day, their bread delivery truck was delayed, so they did a Chicago Beef Poutine, put it on Facebook, and sold out in 2 hours.

The opening of Portillo's (down by Sea World) is delayed "indefinitely".

Hot Dog Heaven?

A new place just opened in Altamonte, "Chicago Dog and Co" and they've had long lines for 2 weeks. The other day, their bread delivery truck was delayed, so they did a Chicago Beef Poutine, put it on Facebook, and sold out in 2 hours.

The opening of Portillo's (down by Sea World) is delayed "indefinitely".
Hot Dog Heaven....been going there since 1991....Great Stuff...

I’m not sure it’s so straight and easy for me. At the end of the day, it all comes down to wins and losses, but how do we look in them? Is it like 2017? Are we dominating the teams we should? Are penalties and mental mistakes down?
This is exactly how I feel. I'm not even counting Bama in my mind. I want to see them compete. Whatever it is , it is.

As for the Coastal and ACC title, I think there are going to be games that will be dogfights again. There are good QBs on a number of teams- not just UNC. Like last season, I want to see the team pull together on both sides of the ball and step up in those games to win. I want to see the offense take another step forward, regardless of who the QB is. We need to run the ball better- does the OLine improve so that happens? Do the WR figure out how to catch?

As for the defense, penalties, mental mistakes and effort. Can we stop the run? It's an offensive game now and teams are going to score. Does the secondary at least make it harder to do that?

I do think the Canes should be able to get to Charlotte and I personally don't care if it's pretty or not. Just get there. Show effort and desire to win. Let's see some guys step up and be leaders in the process. To me, that's progress.

I don't see Clemson running through the Atlantic Division with the ease they have in the past. They open up the season versus UGA, not an easy game for them to start, either. I could see both the Canes and Clemson meeting up in Charlotte with a couple of losses each.

Advertisement
We have enough talent and depth to compete and win.. I do not accept getting completely dragged by Clemson or Alabama if we do we need to reevaluate our staff from the top down

This is exactly how I feel. I'm not even counting Bama in my mind. I want to see them compete. Whatever it is , it is.

As for the Coastal and ACC title, I think there are going to be games that will be dogfights again. There are good QBs on a number of teams- not just UNC. Like last season, I want to see the team pull together on both sides of the ball and step up in those games to win. I want to see the offense take another step forward, regardless of who the QB is. We need to run the ball better- does the OLine improve so that happens? Do the WR figure out how to catch?

As for the defense, penalties, mental mistakes and effort. Can we stop the run? It's an offensive game now and teams are going to score. Does the secondary at least make it harder to do that?

I do think the Canes should be able to get to Charlotte and I personally don't care if it's pretty or not. Just get there. Show effort and desire to win. Let's see some guys step up and be leaders in the process. To me, that's progress.

I don't see Clemson running through the Atlantic Division with the ease they have in the past. They open up the season versus UGA, not an easy game for them to start, either. I could see both the Canes and Clemson meeting up in Charlotte with a couple of losses each.
Agree, we have to be saved from ourselves, last year when pendulum swings the other way in close physical games we look lost and panic and go straight to cheap shots and penalties then collapse.

We haven’t been good at weathering any momentum swings our shoulders droop and finger pointing starts.

If we can change this and play adult focused football we will be very formidable in every game.

GOCANES

Advertisement
We have enough talent and depth to compete and win.. I do not accept getting completely dragged by Clemson or Alabama if we do we need to reevaluate our staff from the top down
That would only be the 4th straight year we would have to make significant changes to our staff...maybe then the guy who made those decisions the first 3 years would be the one held accountable.

You’re right, but We’ll be spinning our wheels anyway if he wins 8 or more games, maybe even 7, because he won’t be fired. they wouldn’t fire richt after 7 wins and wouldn’t fire golden after only 6. Clemson or the aggies are going to have to beat us by 50 next year for this admin to take any action. This is the new Miami...
I’m hoping they’re serious about performance on the field. I know some significant people haven’t been happy with some things, especially after FIU... I haven’t asked but I’ll assume UNC didn’t help. Either way, I don’t think he’s going anywhere at 10-2, and assuming the loss besides Bama isn’t a solid one, he probably shouldn’t if he’s showing progress.

That would only be the 4th straight year we would have to make significant changes to our staff...maybe then the guy who made those decisions the first 3 years would be the one held accountable.
Thats the the thing. He’s made good replacement decisions but his initial hires were mostly not that good. Hickson and Field are good. Stroud was ok.

You down with APP? Yeah you know me.
I had to do a new one to fit Brewster’s attempt at being some kind of hood credited dude or something. I took out the “the” before the APP. I should probably just replace “the” with “RVA” no possessive “ ‘s “ either - RVA Acceptable Progress Poll.

BC027D5B-E0AC-4A07-B429-74168E6D4DB3.gif

Advertisement
Back