What ConstitutesAcceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

What Constitutes Acceptable Progress for the 2021 Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How many schools have hired THREE CONSECUTIVE COACHES who each won national championships? I'm fairly certain that it is unprecedented. And Butch would have made it four, if he had stayed.
We had John Green, who's last ditch effort to save football got us Saban and Schnellenberger. Then Sam Jankovich, who got us Jimmy and Erickson. Forget about Maggard, but then there was Paul Dee, who got us Butch.

You need the right person picking the coach, it's not a complete crap shoot.

Advertisement
We had John Green, who's last ditch effort to save football got us Saban and Schnellenberger. Then Sam Jankovich, who got us Jimmy and Erickson. Forget about Maggard, but then there was Paul Dee, who got us Butch.

Its a crap shoot. See Frost, Harbaugh, Fuente, Sumlin, Kelly, Mullen and Herman just recently.

Advertisement
It seems like prior success has shown to have little or no bearing on future success when hiring a coach.

We just have to keep taking our best shots possible. Hire the best AD possible. Do the most research possible. Try to stick to a culture or a standard whenever possible.

But we shouldn't be giving the gun to a fvcktard like Beta Blake. That's just asking for a bullet to be fired into your own foot. Or worse.

We just have to keep taking our best shots possible. Hire the best AD possible. Do the most research possible. Try to stick to a culture or a standard whenever possible.

But we shouldn't be giving the gun to a fvcktard like Beta Blake. That's just asking for a bullet to be fired into your own foot. Or worse.
There’s an old saying I’m sure you’ve heard that says “**** rolls downhill”. It’s original intent was to describe a manager/supervisor type that pushed responsibility down to their underlings to let them take the fall for **** that happened.

I think one can apply this euphemism in Beta Blake’s case. **** at the top will inevitably create turds below. Is Manny a ****? I believe the jury’s still out but I also believe this season will tell us a lot as to whether or not Manny is a ****.

Howard, Jimmy, and Dennis are proven commodities, but since Butch Davis left for the NFL and then ended up as HC at UNC and FIU we have:

Fired - Larry Coker - HC for UTSA when they started their football program.
Fired - Randy Shannon - position coach and DC at UF and UCF. Enjoyed a few minutes as interim HC at UCF.
Fired - Al Golden - became a position coach in the NFL
Retired - Mark Richt - Living the bud life on the ACC Netowrk.

This is not the track record of a school that picks good coaches. Should Manny fail, this is where you have to start to fix the problem.
Nice time to start.....20yrs at UM...And we're still standing at the starting line...

Paul Dee really didn't get us Butch....It was the Late BOT Chairman Leonard Miller (who was close to Butch from his time at UM from 84-88)...Son Stuart Miller was close (and still is) to Butch as well....

Advertisement
Everything looks good except for the baked beans. I’m not a baked beans fan.

1618433027637.png

Paul Dee really didn't get us Butch....It was the Late BOT Chairman Leonard Miller (who was close to Butch from his time at UM from 84-88)...Son Stuart Miller was close (and still is) to Butch as well....
But he was the AD when it happened, so we'll give him credit with an asterisk. Sadly, we don't have anyone with enough gravitas to get us past this.

Lmao.

We’re on our 7th HC since 2000. All we do is hire, fire and retire them.
if youre counting Butch, were on our 6th. and thats because we we're cheap and our hiring has been pathetic, and we havent evolved into modern college football. coaching Miami has killed the career of every coach since Coker.

if youre counting Butch, were on our 6th. and thats because we we're cheap and our hiring has been pathetic, and we havent evolved into modern college football. coaching Miami has killed the career of every coach since Coker.
I would argue that the aforementioned HC’s killed their own career. Being the HC at The U was not their downfall. Their downfall was they didn’t do very good job as a HC.

Advertisement

Miami didn’t kill their careers. They killed their own careers. Don’t get it twisted.

I think you have it backwards .

I have provided the evidence in other threads that Miami has not been "cheap".

Anyone can disagree with Shalala's preference for "up-and-coming young coaches" like Randy and Fat Al, but being "cheap" is not the issue. We paid Coker very well. We paid Richt very well.

Advertisement
Hats off to everyone making a visible choice of their baseline standard for acceptable progress in 2021. The standards and expectations are pretty high considering where we’ve been. It seems that 0-1 to start is ok but if it’s a blow out about 40% of the board will rage - probably more.

Loosing by double digits to Bama or Clemson would suck for sure, but considering the hill we are climbing there is no real shame in it.

But this getting spit roasted by 30+ points on national tv is intolerable and MUST come to an end.

I want Mack Brown’s head on a ****** stake in the middle of Kenan Memorial.

If we lose that game I’m done with Manny for good.

IDGAF what the circumstances are, we better beat UNC, no ****** excuses.

For real.

Manny gotta throw sportsmanship out the window for this one.

Bounties, late hits, taunting, targeting. Whatever it takes.

If we are up big, keep throwing the football. Keep bringing pressure. Stomp on their logo. If we got the ball at the end, score and go for 2 and say it’s cause we couldn’t go for three.

We really gotta rub it in for this game. Save the classy **** for another day.

Win 10+(I would prefer 11+), Win the Coastal, Look competitive against Clemson and Alabama, win the bowl game and actually handle business against overmatched teams. In other words, look like a well managed, well led program. Manny took a step forward last year, but there's a lot of work to be done.

I picked the loss to UNC option, but I don't think it necessarily will be UNC. I picked that to indicate I think we drop a game from one of the games we are penciled in to win. Alabama and Clemson are tough asks for this team, and the likelihood of dropping one game to the ACC schedule is pretty high given the past 15 years.

Advertisement
Back