We've trailed for 3:27 in the 5 wins combined

Advertisement
I don’t think 2017 with a better offensive scheme and fairly dynamic QB is a bad comparison to this year at all actually. Concrete evidence of why it isn’t a Rosier led team maybe but not what it would have looked like with this offense and this QB. Slightly better wins with holy crap are we this bad moments littered throughout every game
"2017 with a better offensive scheme and fairly dynamic QB" is nothing like 2017 lol. QB is the most important position in sports. Replacing a terrible QB and with a good QB totally changes a team.

the last time we fired a coach it was the fans who raised money to fly a plane over the stadium every saturday to get the guy canned midseason

And that ultimately had no impact whatsoever.

It took a 58-0 home loss in front of a few hundred fans, after a losing season and almost nothing to feel good about in 4.5 years, to get him fired. You're deluding yourself if you think the banners mattered.

this is besides the point but UVAG has gotta be the lamest pun ever conceived by this message board.... surely the combined intelligence of this wonderful community can do better

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not including UAB combined records for teams we’ve played are 14-16. Take away Clemson 6-0 and u do the math as to how good the teams we’re playing. Come on man.

Did I say that we're dominating murderer's row? Or did I say we're doing what we "should" be doing, aka what we haven't done for 15 years which is beat everyone we're supposed to beat. That's all the post was about. I didn't say plan for a parade, I didn't say extend Manny, I didn't say we're going to the playoff....as a matter of fact I didn't speak to truly how good the team is much at all.

I simply said we've played 5 games against lower competition, and we've won all 5 games to the point where there was very little stress at any point. 3 of them we never trailed, the other 2 we trailed for a total of less than 4 minutes. Last year, and the year before, and year before....etc for 15 seasons, we HAVE NOT done what we've done so far this year. We've lost to these average teams or needed wild comebacks to beat them. We've handled business rather nicely so far. And for that, it shouldn't be a ******* funeral on this board every minute of every day but we've got the most miserable, uneducated fans on the planet, so if you came on this board you'd think we were 0-6.

I stumbled onto this a few mins ago and it's pretty staggering....this board is filled with people lamenting the fact that we haven't won pretty enough, or by enough points, or the way they think we should have etc. etc. etc.

But this number is pretty telling, IMO.

In the 5 wins, there has been a total of 300 minutes of game time. Miami has trailed in the football game for a TOTAL of 3 minutes and 27 seconds in those 5 games. Total. Besides Clemson, we've been losing a football game for a whopping 3 minutes and 27 seconds this season.

Went down 7-0 to UAB after the fumbled punt.....next drive, TD to tie the game in 1:36, never trailed again

Went down 3-0 to Louisville, next drive, TD to take the lead in 1:51, never trailed again

Never trailed at any point in the FSU, Pitt, or UVA games.

So, for those of you saying that the 5-1 is a mirage, and we stink, and we're gonna get rolled later in the year...you might be right. But you can't point to recent history in order to make your points, either:

In the 2017 season (aka the last time we thought we might be a pretty good team), we were losing outright at the half to Toledo, we were losing with a minute left in the game to FSU, we were losing with a minute left in the game to Georgia Tech, we were losing most of the first half to UNC, we were losing literally the entire first half against UVA....and then a couple injuries and good teams later, it caught up to us.

Even going back to the team before that we thought might be good...2013. Started the year 7-0. Losing almost at the end of the 1st quarter to a terrible UF team, losing 17-7 to Georgia Tech at the end of 1, the Thursday night game at UNC where we had to pull the game out of our asses, we were losing with less than a minute to go in the game at home to Wake Forest, for Christ's sake.

I don't know, I'm not saying this is a great team by any means. I was incredibly disappointed in the offense on Saturday night. But we're 5-1, we've beaten 5 teams we should beat (haven't we all said for years "If we could just beat the teams we should" ??) and we've trailed for literally less than 1% of those 5 games. There was a little sweat there against UVA, and other than that I've had my feet up smoking a cigar in the 4th quarter of every other game. Are we not allowed to at least take some joy in that and see how the rest of the year plays out before we spray diarrhea in literally every thread?
I think that what it tells, is that Manny found a way for our offense to score enough to win....AND give our defense the breaks it needs, because our defense IS EXCEPTIONAL.

Yes thats right, I said that. But clearly it has been through this season. You can say the same for the Clemson game, outside of the fact that it took nearly 3 quarter to adjust, lol.

Next question, will be...can our defense maintain this throughout the duration of the season, because the toughest games are coming.

Pretty simple. Our offense has improved about, what? Forty places from last year? That will get you to 5-1 on a flawed team, such as this, compared to last year’s team with a few new players and new offensive staff.

Stll, it’s an offense that has sputtered in recent games, and a defense with some talent holes in specific position groups.

To me, the performances, and record, are not unexpected.
I think this staph has a chance for this season to be special... relatively speaking of course. That improvement you mention above includes a couple of lame offensive performances.

Lashlee has a QB that can give the kind of performance that will win a couple games... if he’s allowed to. Lean into the strengths of the team. Use the TEs, more middle of the field throws, allow that line to pass block more (46 rushes for 102 yds is ridiculous).

This team has the talent and opportunity to win out. And I still think this team could have more games in it like what we saw at FSU. I think its in Lashlee’s wall manicured hands tho .

Advertisement
Did I say that we're dominating murderer's row? Or did I say we're doing what we "should" be doing, aka what we haven't done for 15 years which is beat everyone we're supposed to beat. That's all the post was about. I didn't say plan for a parade, I didn't say extend Manny, I didn't say we're going to the playoff....as a matter of fact I didn't speak to truly how good the team is much at all.

I simply said we've played 5 games against lower competition, and we've won all 5 games to the point where there was very little stress at any point. 3 of them we never trailed, the other 2 we trailed for a total of less than 4 minutes. Last year, and the year before, and year before....etc for 15 seasons, we HAVE NOT done what we've done so far this year. We've lost to these average teams or needed wild comebacks to beat them. We've handled business rather nicely so far. And for that, it shouldn't be a ******* funeral on this board every minute of every day but we've got the most miserable, uneducated fans on the planet, so if you came on this board you'd think we were 0-6.
Preach ...

Advertisement
Yes.

Here's another simple question: Are you guys happy with the way this team has played the last 3 games?
No.

But that doesn't mean the sky is falling. We've seen it in the past and it's led to disaster, but even further back it led to success. Time will tell.

Bro, you’re perfecting the art of bipolar posting.

But I agree mostly with this post though. Except the part about expect much from Pope. I’d limit my expectations there. I think we are close to his ceiling. Hope I’m wrong.
I'm bipolar because while I don't think Asslee is as good as advertised, I'm still confident in our ability to hit on big plays and limit teams defensively to around 20-ish points. So my disdain for Asslee erupts once in a while but, like an a-hole, I'm expecting the offense to heat up based on Jordan's return and playing some pretty crummy defenses down the stretch.

Eh. Yeah, UVA was definitely uninspiring. I've said it many times. You won't get an argument from me there.

But the Pitt game was struggling? Was it really? We jumped up 7-0 midway through the first quarter, we scored again to make it 14-0 midway through the 2nd quarter....kinda slogged to the half, they got 2 FGs and we scored less than 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter to go up 21-6. And when we let them back into the game with a terrible pick that got returned to our 1 yard line, we had the next score to go back up by 12 points, and wound up winning the game 31-19. I wouldn't call that struggling. It's not what Clemson would do to them. But I don't think anyone is saying we're Clemson. We're a pretty good team, IMO, with a ways to go to compete with the Top 5-7 teams. I think we're one of the 15 best teams in the country. I know we all want natty's here, and that's the standard and the goal, always...but is what we've seen through 6 games REALLY cause for how miserable people are?
It’s the coaching. Don’t think it’s players. I mean coaching in the sense of putting the right guys on the field to route teams instead of them being so close. We have those players the coaches just don’t trust them.

Advertisement
Back