We've trailed for 3:27 in the 5 wins combined

I mean, I *LITERALLY* posted concrete evidence how it's NOT looking and feeling like 2017. It was an entire paragraph.

I hate it here.
It is not exactly concreate when you do not factor the teams that we played. Missing players, missing starting QBs and two of the worst teams in college football. It is kind of like when people thought we could beat Clemson becasue of our offensive stats....because stats don't lie.

People who understand football know the team has serious issues and that is all anyone is saying.

Advertisement
No doubt. Gotta get better. I’m ok with incremental improvement as long as there’s improvement.
When the HC sets the bar at a historically pathetic level, giving him a pass for minor improvement from that low bar is lowering the standard. It's no different than fans yapping about Folden's "improvement" for winning 9 games when it was pretty obvious we still sucked even though we won a couple more games.

Make the standard the standard, and quit allowing horrific performance to lower the standard. We were vomit last year, and a lot of that was directly a result of bad coaching and lack of leadership.

It's like your girlfriend ballooning up to 300 pounds. You happy if she incrementally improves to 290 pounds over the course of a year (this isn't for my dude Parranose)?

I stumbled onto this a few mins ago and it's pretty staggering....this board is filled with people lamenting the fact that we haven't won pretty enough, or by enough points, or the way they think we should have etc. etc. etc.

But this number is pretty telling, IMO.

In the 5 wins, there has been a total of 300 minutes of game time. Miami has trailed in the football game for a TOTAL of 3 minutes and 27 seconds in those 5 games. Total. Besides Clemson, we've been losing a football game for a whopping 3 minutes and 27 seconds this season.

Went down 7-0 to UAB after the fumbled punt.....next drive, TD to tie the game in 1:36, never trailed again

Went down 3-0 to Louisville, next drive, TD to take the lead in 1:51, never trailed again

Never trailed at any point in the FSU, Pitt, or UVA games.

So, for those of you saying that the 5-1 is a mirage, and we stink, and we're gonna get rolled later in the year...you might be right. But you can't point to recent history in order to make your points, either:

In the 2017 season (aka the last time we thought we might be a pretty good team), we were losing outright at the half to Toledo, we were losing with a minute left in the game to FSU, we were losing with a minute left in the game to Georgia Tech, we were losing most of the first half to UNC, we were losing literally the entire first half against UVA....and then a couple injuries and good teams later, it caught up to us.

Even going back to the team before that we thought might be good...2013. Started the year 7-0. Losing almost at the end of the 1st quarter to a terrible UF team, losing 17-7 to Georgia Tech at the end of 1, the Thursday night game at UNC where we had to pull the game out of our asses, we were losing with less than a minute to go in the game at home to Wake Forest, for Christ's sake.

I don't know, I'm not saying this is a great team by any means. I was incredibly disappointed in the offense on Saturday night. But we're 5-1, we've beaten 5 teams we should beat (haven't we all said for years "If we could just beat the teams we should" ??) and we've trailed for literally less than 1% of those 5 games. There was a little sweat there against UVA, and other than that I've had my feet up smoking a cigar in the 4th quarter of every other game. Are we not allowed to at least take some joy in that and see how the rest of the year plays out before we spray diarrhea in literally every thread?
Shut Up!!!! Absolutely no positive comments, facts, or evidence are allowed. We are the sh1ttiest 5-1 team in history.

Mopes rule!!! Lol

Im actually really enjoying that we are 5-1. It might not be pretty all the time but its definitely improvement. Some of the guys here are just miserable ppl.

Excluding the 60 minutes of the Clemson game, how many minutes with Canes in the lead would a reasonable fan believe the game was no longer in doubt? Doesn’t matter.

The team has won the last two games, the first in an uninspiring manner, and the last in disappointing fashion. I agree 5-1 is the best record we could reasonably hope for. We were not beating Clemson. Overall team play needs considerable improvement or a few of the remaining games could end up increasing the Loss column.

As Bill Bellichk would say, “We’re on to NC State”.
The record has never been an issue with any UM fan. 5-1 is the best anyone could have expected. Some of us don't like the way we've played the last 3 games and that we don't seem to be improving as the season progresses like good teams do.

Advertisement
It's a great stat, nice find on it. Could it be this program is finally learning how to win close, sloppy games despite the obvious flaws?

We say this every week but NC State off a bye, on the road, in primetime will be telling. Coming out and smacking them sets the tone for the remaining portion of the schedule.
We've been winning close, sloppy slog fests in the ACC since the Shannon era. Problem is we usually lose some too. When you are always in these sloppy dog fights every week, it will catch up to you.

One of the worst schedules for a 6 game stretch in P5 football and fans are a happy with meaningless stats. Watch the games and tell me Miami is anything better than average. I say the City of Miami throw a parade for for the amazing start.

NC St shouldn’t, but will be a tough game for Manny Diaz and crew, UNC/VT are likely loses unless the team can somehow drastically improve...........highly unlikely

Yeah, we've stumbled sideways since getting stomped at clemson. Not a good look considering who we're playing and who we want to be. Hopefully the Canes can at least keep winning so some new blood can get pumped in. Get some new defensive coaches in and recruit to fix roster deficiencies. I think it's gonna take a couple years to get this team elite. No offensive scheme was gonna get us from where we were the last few years to elite in this ****ed up year. All that being said, steps aren't good enough when jumps are needed. It's time to start opening up on every team in this conference not named clemson. This sliding sideways **** against bad teams has got to stop or Manny aint the guy. If Miami keeps playing like ****.. wins or not, I'm joining the mope squad.

8-3 against this schedule should get you fired during the echo of the final whistle of the final game.
You're jaded and I get it. Coker (Clappy), Shannon (guys are still flyin' around), Golden (The Notebook), Richt, and Diaz (Lispy) have brought us to this point (and the ones who hired them). But 8-3 won't come close to getting Diaz fired.
Personally, it sickens me to see MD slip & slide after escaping the mighty Wahoos, but as fans we can only grin & bear it, hoping that Diaz, in spite of questionable methods, ultimately succeeds. I rooted for all his predecessors, sensing all were doomed to fail with the exception of Pastor Richt, who just didn't have the desire anymore. As for Diaz, imo 5-1 is just as much a mirage as regaining the glory days of old.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Safe to say the book is out for how to limit us offensively? And defensively, between a downgraded pass rush and resistance to playing the best players at various levels - there's reason for concern as to whether the success to this point is sustainable. Can live with losing 2, maybe 3 of the last 5 UNLESS losses are largely self-inflicted.
When you have as much or more talent then the other team, all losses are self-inflicted.

Great stat. As you see the mopes will still spin it to not winning impressively enough though.

As long as we keep racking up Ws, I don’t care what they look like.

What about Clemson? Do they not count cause they are actually good.

Pretty sure that was a full 60min of a** whipping, don't come to me with cherry picked stats...
The title says wins so the 1 game that we’ve lost out of 6 obviously isn’t included in the total...

Come to you with cherry picked stats? Did he tag you and say “hey nz Cane come check this out” or did you click on this thread, read it and reply by yourself?

Advertisement
Pitt and UVA were ugly wins but we maintained a level of control despite shaky offense. People like piling on the defense because the staff on that side of the ball draws attention since they're Manny's boys, but the staff on offense must turn it around.

The shortcomings at WR and OL seem to get blamed for a lack of talent but steady improvement should be the expectation. The trend is down offensively since FSU and we should be seeing the offense progress each week instead of backfiring.

There's reason for optimism since King threw 4 TDs against Pitt and played well against UVA. The freshmen RBs are flashing, Harley is emerging, Jordan may return, the OL might gel somewhat. King is running zone read for the first time in his football career per Lashlee. If he gets that part down it may add another element.

There's a lot that needs to go right but the defense may need to keep us in games if things don't improve at WR and OL. Can't depend on King extending drives with his legs if we don't keep defenses honest with an efficient offense, which doesn't necessarily mean a balanced attack because we're not going to become a power running team in 2020 despite trying like **** to establish the run each week.

Lashlee has King, Jordan, Harley, Mallory, Pope as weapons in the passing game with some dynamic RBs, so the right mix of coaching and better execution should lead to a second half resurgence on offense. There should not be any excuses if there is no upward trajectory beginning next week. We should be expecting big things from the offense in November. Other teams do more with less every single year.

The ever-lowering of the UM standard continues. Sad stuff. Now, we've got allegedly demanding UM fans who "can live with" a 7-4 season playing against mainly trash and backup QBs.
yeah it's the fans lowering the standards, not the last 20 years of football

Advertisement
Pitt and UVA were ugly wins but we maintained a level of control despite shaky offense. People like piling on the defense because the staff on that side of the ball draws attention since they're Manny's boys, but the staff on offense must turn it around.

The shortcomings at WR and OL seem to get blamed for a lack of talent but steady improvement should be the expectation. The trend is down offensively since FSU and we should be seeing the offense progress each week instead of backfiring.

There's reason for optimism since King threw 4 TDs against Pitt and played well against UVA. The freshmen RBs are flashing, Harley is emerging, Jordan may return, the OL might gel somewhat. King is running zone read for the first time in his football career per Lashlee. If he gets that part down it may add another element.

There's a lot that needs to go right but the defense may need to keep us in games if things don't improve at WR and OL. Can't depend on King extending drives with his legs if we don't keep defenses honest with an efficient offense, which doesn't necessarily mean a balanced attack because we're not going to become a power running team in 2020 despite trying like **** to establish the run each week.

Lashlee has King, Jordan, Harley, Mallory, Pope as weapons in the passing game with some dynamic RBs, so the right mix of coaching and better execution should lead to a second half resurgence on offense. There should not be any excuses if there is no upward trajectory beginning next week. We should be expecting big things from the offense in November. Other teams do more with less every single year.

Bro, you’re perfecting the art of bipolar posting.

But I agree mostly with this post though. Except the part about expect much from Pope. I’d limit my expectations there. I think we are close to his ceiling. Hope I’m wrong.

That is certainly an interesting stat, doubt many would've come close had they guessed. It's a crazy stat when you consider how bad our time of possession is.

We'll see how the rest go. Would be a nice stat to follow up on as we progress.

Advertisement
Back