We've trailed for 3:27 in the 5 wins combined

I stumbled onto this a few mins ago and it's pretty staggering....this board is filled with people lamenting the fact that we haven't won pretty enough, or by enough points, or the way they think we should have etc. etc. etc.

But this number is pretty telling, IMO.

In the 5 wins, there has been a total of 300 minutes of game time. Miami has trailed in the football game for a TOTAL of 3 minutes and 27 seconds in those 5 games. Total. Besides Clemson, we've been losing a football game for a whopping 3 minutes and 27 seconds this season.

Went down 7-0 to UAB after the fumbled punt.....next drive, TD to tie the game in 1:36, never trailed again

Went down 3-0 to Louisville, next drive, TD to take the lead in 1:51, never trailed again

Never trailed at any point in the FSU, Pitt, or UVA games.

So, for those of you saying that the 5-1 is a mirage, and we stink, and we're gonna get rolled later in the year...you might be right. But you can't point to recent history in order to make your points, either:

In the 2017 season (aka the last time we thought we might be a pretty good team), we were losing outright at the half to Toledo, we were losing with a minute left in the game to FSU, we were losing with a minute left in the game to Georgia Tech, we were losing most of the first half to UNC, we were losing literally the entire first half against UVA....and then a couple injuries and good teams later, it caught up to us.

Even going back to the team before that we thought might be good...2013. Started the year 7-0. Losing almost at the end of the 1st quarter to a terrible UF team, losing 17-7 to Georgia Tech at the end of 1, the Thursday night game at UNC where we had to pull the game out of our asses, we were losing with less than a minute to go in the game at home to Wake Forest, for Christ's sake.

I don't know, I'm not saying this is a great team by any means. I was incredibly disappointed in the offense on Saturday night. But we're 5-1, we've beaten 5 teams we should beat (haven't we all said for years "If we could just beat the teams we should" ??) and we've trailed for literally less than 1% of those 5 games. There was a little sweat there against UVA, and other than that I've had my feet up smoking a cigar in the 4th quarter of every other game. Are we not allowed to at least take some joy in that and see how the rest of the year plays out before we spray diarrhea in literally every thread?

Last edited:
Advertisement
No doubt the team has improved on O enough to make us better but it looks and feels a lot like 2017 and I think it’s too fresh for people to not recognize big problems and luck turning into disaster later on. King may be what keeps us from that fallout though

No doubt the team has improved on O enough to make us better but it looks and feels a lot like 2017 and I think it’s too fresh for people to not recognize big problems and luck turning into disaster later on. King may be what keeps us from that fallout though

I mean, I *LITERALLY* posted concrete evidence how it's NOT looking and feeling like 2017. It was an entire paragraph.

I hate it here.

It's a great stat. Very impressive, actually. Also shows that we have improved and are taking the next step.

But it doesn't cover the fact that we eeked out a win vs. a 1-5, bottom-dwelling ACC team after struggling with a mediocre ACC team on their 2nd and 3rd string QBs. At the same time, 5-1 is 5-1 no matter how you get there.

Advertisement
I stumbled onto this a few mins ago and it's pretty staggering....this board is filled with people lamenting the fact that we haven't won pretty enough, or by enough points, or the way they think we should have etc. etc. etc.

But this number is pretty telling, IMO.

In the 5 wins, there has been a total of 300 minutes of game time. Miami has trailed in the football game for a TOTAL of 2 minutes and 26 seconds in those 5 games. Total. Besides Clemson, we've been losing a football game for a whopping 2 minutes and 27 seconds this season.

Went down 7-0 to UAB after the fumbled punt.....next drive, TD to tie the game in 1:36, never trailed again

Went down 3-0 to Louisville, next drive, TD to take the lead in 1:51, never trailed again

Never trailed at any point in the FSU, Pitt, or UVA games.

So, for those of you saying that the 5-1 is a mirage, and we stink, and we're gonna get rolled later in the year...you might be right. But you can't point to recent history in order to make your points, either:

In the 2017 season (aka the last time we thought we might be a pretty good team), we were losing outright at the half to Toledo, we were losing with a minute left in the game to FSU, we were losing with a minute left in the game to Georgia Tech, we were losing most of the first half to UNC, we were losing literally the entire first half against UVA....and then a couple injuries and good teams later, it caught up to us.

Even going back to the team before that we thought might be good...2013. Started the year 7-0. Losing almost at the end of the 1st quarter to a terrible UF team, losing 17-7 to Georgia Tech at the end of 1, the Thursday night game at UNC where we had to pull the game out of our asses, we were losing with less than a minute to go in the game at home to Wake Forest, for Christ's sake.

I don't know, I'm not saying this is a great team by any means. I was incredibly disappointed in the offense on Saturday night. But we're 5-1, we've beaten 5 teams we should beat (haven't we all said for years "If we could just beat the teams we should" ??) and we've trailed for literally less than 1% of those 5 games. There was a little sweat there against UVA, and other than that I've had my feet up smoking a cigar in the 4th quarter of every other game. Are we not allowed to at least take some joy in that and see how the rest of the year plays out before we spray diarrhea in literally every thread?
well spoken. our fans suck lol

It's a great stat. Very impressive, actually. Also shows that we have improved and are taking the next step.

But it doesn't cover the fact that we eeked out a win vs. a 1-5, bottom-dwelling ACC team after struggling with a mediocre ACC team on their 2nd and 3rd string QBs

Eh. Yeah, UVA was definitely uninspiring. I've said it many times. You won't get an argument from me there.

But the Pitt game was struggling? Was it really? We jumped up 7-0 midway through the first quarter, we scored again to make it 14-0 midway through the 2nd quarter....kinda slogged to the half, they got 2 FGs and we scored less than 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter to go up 21-6. And when we let them back into the game with a terrible pick that got returned to our 1 yard line, we had the next score to go back up by 12 points, and wound up winning the game 31-19. I wouldn't call that struggling. It's not what Clemson would do to them. But I don't think anyone is saying we're Clemson. We're a pretty good team, IMO, with a ways to go to compete with the Top 5-7 teams. I think we're one of the 15 best teams in the country. I know we all want natty's here, and that's the standard and the goal, always...but is what we've seen through 6 games REALLY cause for how miserable people are?

Stop spinning stats, fellas. Just watch the games and discuss what you see. If you tell me you're happy with the way we've played the last 3 games, then I'll just tip my toupee to you, move along, and realize it's useless talking with a buffoon.

You can't stat your way out of what has been happening right in front of us on the ball field.

It's possible to realize this team has things it needs to improve on without thinking the sky is falling. They've done a good job of remaining in control of every game besides Clemson. Even in the instances where the opponent looks to be getting back into the game, they've either A)Scored immediately to put themselves back in the lead/expanded the lead B) Gone on a game ending, clock killing drive that doesn't allow the opponent to get another chance to score. Now would I prefer not to have to have a clock killing drive to end the game just to put away Virginia? Of course but they have shown an ability to crush an opponent's hopes when they think they can get the lead back. A lot of people keep making the comparison to 2017 but that team had me nervous about a loss every week. The only point I've been concerned about losing this season was when Virginia scored to make it 19-14 and I thought that there was a possibility they were going to blow it. At no point during UAB, UL, FSU or PITT was I concerned about losing the game.

Once again, there's room for improvement and they're going to have to tighten some things up because holding off a last second UVA rally isn't inspiring. But the fact that not only are they beating the teams they're supposed to beat but they're not even falling behind to them at all is pretty good.

Advertisement
Stop spinning stats, fellas. Just watch the games and discuss what you see. If you tell me you're happy with the way we've played the last 3 games, then I'll just tip my toupee to you, move along, and realize it's useless talking with a buffoon.

You can't stat your way out of what has been happening right in front of us on the ball field.

What’s been happening? Winning?

And I never said we should be happy. We should always expect and demand better. I don’t care what happens or how we play. We can always be better. But I prefer to look at the past 6 games and ask, should we be completely miserable?

It's possible to realize this team has things it needs to improve on without thinking the sky is falling. They've done a good job of remaining in control of every game besides Clemson. Even in the instances where the opponent looks to be getting back into the game, they've either A)Scored immediately to put themselves back in the lead/expanded the lead B) Gone on a game ending, clock killing drive that doesn't allow the opponent to get another chance to score. Now would I prefer not to have to have a clock killing drive to end the game just to put away Virginia? Of course but they have shown an ability to crush an opponent's hopes when they think they can get the lead back. A lot of people keep making the comparison to 2017 but that team had me nervous about a loss every week. The only point I've been concerned about losing this season was when Virginia scored to make it 19-14 and I thought that there was a possibility they were going to blow it. At no point during UAB, UL, FSU or PITT was I concerned about losing the game.

Once again, there's room for improvement and they're going to have to tighten some things up because holding off a last second UVA rally isn't inspiring. But the fact that not only are they beating the teams they're supposed to beat but they're not even falling behind to them at all is pretty good.

Very well said. Agree 100%.

Clemson and Pitt exposed our OL. We looked like we were sleepwalking against UVA. If we come out of the bye week and look like **** against NC State, then Manny is the issue and you're right.

I say we beat them by 20+

its a great stat, and i'm happy we haven't played close to lights out ... that said, we haven't done well coming out of bye weeks ... we talk about player improvement, bye week success is the next step in coaching improvement, i really want to see new wrinkles on offense

Advertisement
Safe to say the book is out for how to limit us offensively? And defensively, between a downgraded pass rush and resistance to playing the best players at various levels - there's reason for concern as to whether the success to this point is sustainable. Can live with losing 2, maybe 3 of the last 5 UNLESS losses are largely self-inflicted.

its a great stat, and i'm happy we haven't played close to lights out ... that said, we haven't done well coming out of bye weeks ... we talk about player improvement, bye week success is the next step in coaching improvement, i really want to see new wrinkles on offense
No doubt. Gotta get better. I’m ok with incremental improvement as long as there’s improvement.

Safe to say the book is out for how to limit us offensively? And defensively, between a downgraded pass rush and resistance to playing the best players at various levels - there's reason for concern as to whether the success to this point is sustainable. Can live with losing 2, maybe 3 of the last 5 UNLESS losses are largely self-inflicted.

We absolutely, positively CANNOT live with losing 3 of the next 5. Absolutely not. I'll be really upset if we lose 1 more game, and I don't think we will, but 2 is unacceptable and 3 is a ******* nuclear disaster and I will be moping right alongside the rest of the miserable pricks here if that happens.

Advertisement
What’s been happening? Winning?

And I never said we should be happy. We should always expect and demand better. I don’t care what happens or how we play. We can always be better. But I prefer to look at the past 6 games and ask, should we be completely miserable?
Yes. You're right. We've won, and that's all that matters. What was the chant during the Coker era again, "Hey, we're 53-9! Stop whining, you miserable ********!"?

Clemson and Pitt exposed our OL. We looked like we were sleepwalking against UVA. If we come out of the bye week and look like **** against NC State, then Manny is the issue and you're right.

I say we beat them by 20+
I'm commenting on each game as they happen. If we play great against NC State, then I'll talk about how great we played. I'd prefer that Diaz gets the team moving in the right direction and improving. I'd rather not have to fire him and start over again.

NC State is just another UVAG, so we need to be able to play well against these crummy teams with backup QBs instead of finding ways to get into 4th quarter dog fights with all of them.

The ever-lowering of the UM standard continues. Sad stuff. Now, we've got allegedly demanding UM fans who "can live with" a 7-4 season playing against mainly trash and backup QBs.

Advertisement
Back