Well Richt seems to agree with us

I really wish he would just bring in a new OC to implement a spread offense after this year but I don't think that will happen. In any event, I do take some comfort in Richt actually admitting that he's rusty and changes need to be made. A refreshing change from "It starts me me. Now let me tell you how the players missed assignments and failed to execute."

I agree 100% with this. Gary Patterson did this a few years ago and it's been great for him. Imagine having a high powered offense with Manny's defense. Now that would be scary.

The thing is Richt HAS run this type of offense before at FSU. The Sugar Bowl NC win over VT he spread out VT and Weinke picked them apart. They put up 40+ on a good defense that way. My problem is I suspect he may not be adjusting to the strengths and weaknesses of Kaaya and instead running his O the way he wants to run it. For example: no way you run RPO with BK as he really is no threat to run. Also maybe we take advantage of Kaaya being a streaky rhythm passer and call a couple of plays to get him warmed up (easy completions) then go downfield in a 4 wide set for several plays in a row.

RPO's have NOTHING to do with QB runs though.

I think some of you guys are confusing RPO's with read/option stuff.

RPOs do work better with a mobile because the ends have to respect the fact that the QB could take off around the edge.

So while it's not read option, RPO can have some running options to it.

During an RPO the QB isn't even reading the end. The DE is usually being blocked by the Tackle. (unlike a read/option play)

During an RPO the QB is reading a second level defender. (usually a LB) His option is to hand the ball off or throw it.

Advertisement
I really wish he would just bring in a new OC to implement a spread offense after this year but I don't think that will happen. In any event, I do take some comfort in Richt actually admitting that he's rusty and changes need to be made. A refreshing change from "It starts me me. Now let me tell you how the players missed assignments and failed to execute."

I agree 100% with this. Gary Patterson did this a few years ago and it's been great for him. Imagine having a high powered offense with Manny's defense. Now that would be scary.

The thing is Richt HAS run this type of offense before at FSU. The Sugar Bowl NC win over VT he spread out VT and Weinke picked them apart. They put up 40+ on a good defense that way. My problem is I suspect he may not be adjusting to the strengths and weaknesses of Kaaya and instead running his O the way he wants to run it. For example: no way you run RPO with BK as he really is no threat to run. Also maybe we take advantage of Kaaya being a streaky rhythm passer and call a couple of plays to get him warmed up (easy completions) then go downfield in a 4 wide set for several plays in a row.

Guys...again...

RPO's have NOTHING to do with QB runs.

That's not entirely true, but I'm supporting you on these posts because it doesn't have everything to do with QB runs. There seems to be a lot of confusion about RPO on here, and I'm not sure why. It's been broken down time and again.

- Not every RPO is reading the DE; actually, many of them are reading a "stuck in between" LB who is responsible for, say, the "B" gap in run support and the stick route from the slot WR. When he makes his decision on which to cover, the QB either hands off or passes it over him.

- Some RPOs have three options: handoff, QB run, then bubble screen or the like. This is NOT the RPO Richt is running with Kaaya.

- We *have* done well with the passing option in the RPO this year and against FSU. In the GaTech game, it got Coley a TD by zipping it passed a pinching LB's ear. If I remember correctly (from watching in the stadium), in the 3rd quarter, on that huge, huge play where Stacy Coley got tripped up going into the endzone (then got a 5 yard neutral zone infraction immediately after because he was asking to be pulled out of the game and we went tempo), that was also an RPO.

In any case, we're not reading DEs and Kaaya isn't intended to run. We also ran it too much anyway, and Richt apparently admitted that much.

I know exactly what you're talking about. We run a three option RPO here. (zone/read + bubble)
But the RPO in it's basic "purist" form is...well...you already know.
I was referring to Miami's RPO's and I didn't wanna go into full detail about 3-read RPO's because I can see that we're already confused enough about these concepts. (on here)

That was soo long ago, the game has changed. BIG TIME. What worked 20 years ago doesnt necessarily guarantee success, heck you have coaches just 5 years ago who were toast of town who can be on hot seat (les, Malzahn, etc.) The game has evolved soo much, you cant dust off a 20 year old playbook and expect to dominate. Those fsu team back then also hoarded alot of talent. ACC was fsu and thats it, they dominated for years, the game has changed. Even in the nfl they have evolved, many teams dont even carry fullbacks and no nfl team, as NONE has a full back on field more than half the time.

We will see how things move forward but the days of just lining up and outtalent people are gone for big time programs, even Saban himself has gone out and opened up his offense, and send his coaches to learn from the likes of Herman and such. You have to evolve or you will die, Cant rest on what you accomplished 20 years ago and say we will do that, that is actually cringe worthy when I hear coach bring up charlie ward and the like

RPO's run better with mobile QBs. Why are you pretending one has nothing to do with the other?

If contain has to worry about bubbles and the QB running, they have to stay more disciplined at the snap. And that indecision allows for runners to crease the defense easier. You coach defense ... You trying to tell me that you don't instruct your DL to attack mobile QBs in a different manner than immobile QBs?? :11263323124_b207743

It's the same concept as the triple-option. Yeah, you could run it without a super mobile QB ... But it lessens the effectiveness of the offense.

To put it simply ... Bobby Petrino didn't just remember how to coach offense this year, after 2 years of terrible offense at Louisville. He just has the QB to run it. Gus Malzhan isn't dumber now than he was as the OC at Auburn, he just doesn't have a generational talent playing QB for him. There's a reason Dak Prescott might be an issue for re-inserting Tony Romo back into the Dallas Cowboys offense ... And it's because of his running ability.

So ... Yeah, teams can run out of the spread without a running QB. But the teams that do it effectively, throw the ball 45 times a game to open the run lanes. And that's not who Richt is, right now. He's trying to be balanced, which means teams will keep 6 in the box against our shotgun looks. And our OL isn't good enough to beat the more talented teams on our schedule who do that.

Gripe about him being balanced all you want. I won't argue it. But folks who thought they were gonna see Richt doing a Art Briles or Josh McDaniels or Chad Morris impression set themselves up for disappointment. Richt wants to run the ball ... Did it at FSU and did it at UGA.

A full back can help with run and pass blocking, but we need to scrap the read option because Kaaya ain't fast enough to get outside of the guards.

Advertisement
Here's my big confusion when it comes to Richt's playcalling this season, and especially in this game - why has the RPO seemingly become our go-to play, where we come back to it many times throughout the game? Against the weaker teams on our schedule, I understand it more, as it allows us to get our receivers out in space against less talented defenses, get Kaaya in a rhythm with some easier throws, and gets our running game going when the RPO calls for it. I understand going to it here and there throughout the FSU game, especially when we need a few yards, as it seems like the premise of the play allows for the opportunity to out-leverage the defense, even for just a few yards. My complaint is that we went to it instead of going to plays that get guys like Coley, Njoku, Richards, etc., in space, in the middle of the field.

I won't pretend like I watched a ton of Georgia games when Richt was there, either when he called plays or after, but I feel like I watched them enough to remember that the RPO didn't seem to be the cornerstone of their offense. I remember a more downfield passing attack, which used their WRs and TEs to target the middle of the field on crosses, posts, in-routes, etc., and that was what I was excited about when he said he was going to call plays. I also felt like it seemed Richt had an idea of what kind of offense he wanted to be and he called plays to that identity. Two of my biggest issues with Coley was that he favored a horizontal passing attack, and that he had no idea of what he wanted our offense to be, so the feel of his game calling, especially after the script, was complete grab-bag.

I'm hopeful that this truly is rust on Richt's part, but with our personnel, it's hard to understand why we wouldn't want our identity to be a team that uses the speed of Coley and Richards as deep threats, our talent at TE, and the pass catching ability of our RBs, to attack more in the middle of the field rather than using the RPO to attack horizontally.

Here's my big confusion when it comes to Richt's playcalling this season, and especially in this game - why has the RPO seemingly become our go-to play, where we come back to it many times throughout the game? Against the weaker teams on our schedule, I understand it more, as it allows us to get our receivers out in space against less talented defenses, get Kaaya in a rhythm with some easier throws, and gets our running game going when the RPO calls for it. I understand going to it here and there throughout the FSU game, especially when we need a few yards, as it seems like the premise of the play allows for the opportunity to out-leverage the defense, even for just a few yards. My complaint is that we went to it instead of going to plays that get guys like Coley, Njoku, Richards, etc., in space, in the middle of the field.

I won't pretend like I watched a ton of Georgia games when Richt was there, either when he called plays or after, but I feel like I watched them enough to remember that the RPO didn't seem to be the cornerstone of their offense. I remember a more downfield passing attack, which used their WRs and TEs to target the middle of the field on crosses, posts, in-routes, etc., and that was what I was excited about when he said he was going to call plays. I also felt like it seemed Richt had an idea of what kind of offense he wanted to be and he called plays to that identity. Two of my biggest issues with Coley was that he favored a horizontal passing attack, and that he had no idea of what he wanted our offense to be, so the feel of his game calling, especially after the script, was complete grab-bag.

I'm hopeful that this truly is rust on Richt's part, but with our personnel, it's hard to understand why we wouldn't want our identity to be a team that uses the speed of Coley and Richards as deep threats, our talent at TE, and the pass catching ability of our RBs, to attack more in the middle of the field rather than using the RPO to attack horizontally.

The only thing I can explain from not featuring David Njoku as anything more than a slot decoy against FSU is that Richt is playing the long, long game of wanting both Njoku and Kaaya to return next year.

/joking
/let them off the hook

The only thing I can explain from not featuring David Njoku as anything more than a slot decoy against FSU is that Richt is playing the long, long game of wanting both Njoku and Kaaya to return next year.

/joking
/let them off the hook

Yeah, that's what so bothersome - the feeling that we let them off the hook. But, let me ask you this, Lu - are you surprised that the RPO has been such a large part of our offense thus far, based on what you saw from Richt at UGA and in practices? My memories of watching Georgia on offense are much more of seeing guys like AJ Green, Massaquoi, Leonard Pope, etc., catching balls in the middle of the field and less of this shotgun RPO look. Again, not professing to be an expert in their offense, but I just don't recall watching their games and seeing as much horizontal passing. We have a QB who has the arm to make all the throws and generally the decision making (INT in end zone not being a good example, but...) to go after teams in the middle part, and we have the skill players to throw to. The RPO just doesn't seem to favor our players as the base play of our offense.

Guys...again...

That's not entirely true, but I'm supporting you on these posts because it doesn't have everything to do with QB runs. There seems to be a lot of confusion about RPO on here, and I'm not sure why. It's been broken down time and again.

- Not every RPO is reading the DE; actually, many of them are reading a "stuck in between" LB who is responsible for, say, the "B" gap in run support and the stick route from the slot WR. When he makes his decision on which to cover, the QB either hands off or passes it over him.

- Some RPOs have three options: handoff, QB run, then bubble screen or the like. This is NOT the RPO Richt is running with Kaaya.

- We *have* done well with the passing option in the RPO this year and against FSU. In the GaTech game, it got Coley a TD by zipping it passed a pinching LB's ear. If I remember correctly (from watching in the stadium), in the 3rd quarter, on that huge, huge play where Stacy Coley got tripped up going into the endzone (then got a 5 yard neutral zone infraction immediately after because he was asking to be pulled out of the game and we went tempo), that was also an RPO.

In any case, we're not reading DEs and Kaaya isn't intended to run. We also ran it too much anyway, and Richt apparently admitted that much.

We've had a couple good plays with the RPO game. We run it so much we better have a couple good plays with it.

Problem is that overall it's been an ineffective and spotty element to the offense and Kaaya doesn't appear comfortable with it. It looks awkward and it's not working enough of the time as is evidenced by the 2nd half debacle of 88 yards against a **** D.

So, yeah, we can point to a couple good results we've had with it. But overall it's been ineffective. And the offense is disjointed and seems to be trying to do too many different things.

Advertisement
I saw four big tests for Mark when hired:

1) Hire good staff. Kool was fantastic hire, best is forever. Diaz looked strong but seems to growing attached to 3-4 lately, To be determined. Rest - bunch of maybes. Total C+

2) Recruiting -- He kept AR away from Saban -- I give him B+ for that alone.

3) Beat FSU. F

4) Win Coastal. Jury out.

I wanted Butch for his recruiting and development but thought Mark to be better coach for the game itself. Now I wonder about that. I would not have been surprised if Butch lost 1st game to FSU, but I fully expected Mark to win it and bet that way. He cost me money -- I don't like that.

New test now is, will this team quit on him like Al. I don't except the team to do that but if it does, fire him immediately and get Butch back asap. We have to many really good new players to see them wasted like Al did.

/joking
/let them off the hook

Yeah, that's what so bothersome - the feeling that we let them off the hook. But, let me ask you this, Lu - are you surprised that the RPO has been such a large part of our offense thus far, based on what you saw from Richt at UGA and in practices? My memories of watching Georgia on offense are much more of seeing guys like AJ Green, Massaquoi, Leonard Pope, etc., catching balls in the middle of the field and less of this shotgun RPO look. Again, not professing to be an expert in their offense, but I just don't recall watching their games and seeing as much horizontal passing. We have a QB who has the arm to make all the throws and generally the decision making (INT in end zone not being a good example, but...) to go after teams in the middle part, and we have the skill players to throw to. The RPO just doesn't seem to favor our players as the base play of our offense.

Yes, I am surprised. I thought it'd be something we used against lesser opponents and sprinkled in at times when we go tempo. I thought we'd see more pointed stuff for Njoku out of the slot and, frankly, I saw it in practice. I have no idea where it went in the game and I refuse to acknowledge the "OL is the cause of everything" excuse because many of those plays are NOT slow developing. Njoku isn't running double moves and, even when used to clear out, the guy behind him isn't doing much more than 12 yards.

Now, what I did see in practice and they showed was Berrios outside (at SE or otherwise) trying to get inside. It worked in practice. I told D$ about my skepticism about him doing that against FSU with Kaaya facing a live DL. A couple times I saw the routes occur, it was totally disrupted. I would prefer to see Richards replace Berrios in those sets.

Guys...again...

We've had a couple good plays with the RPO game. We run it so much we better have a couple good plays with it.

Problem is that overall it's been an ineffective and spotty element to the offense and Kaaya doesn't appear comfortable with it. It looks awkward and it's not working enough of the time as is evidenced by the 2nd half debacle of 88 yards against a **** D.

So, yeah, we can point to a couple good results we've had with it. But overall it's been ineffective. And the offense is disjointed and seems to be trying to do too many different things.
Hey, preaching to the choir here. As I said above, I expected it against lesser teams and sprinkled in with tempo, but not for it to be our bread and butter. Our bread and butter should be the trio of Herndon/Njoku/Coley with Richards the benefactor of single coverage. That's our best bet against equal talent.

/joking
/let them off the hook

You and Richt are saying the same thing.

AJ Green and Mohamed Massaquoi played with Knowshon Moreno ... And he ran out of the I-formation a TON!

Advertisement

/joking
/let them off the hook

Yes, I am surprised. I thought it'd be something we used against lesser opponents and sprinkled in at times when we go tempo. I thought we'd see more pointed stuff for Njoku out of the slot and, frankly, I saw it in practice. I have no idea where it went in the game and I refuse to acknowledge the "OL is the cause of everything" excuse because many of those plays are NOT slow developing. Njoku isn't running double moves and, even when used to clear out, the guy behind him isn't doing much more than 12 yards.

Now, what I did see in practice and they showed was Berrios outside (at SE or otherwise) trying to get inside. It worked in practice. I told D$ about my skepticism about him doing that against FSU with Kaaya facing a live DL. A couple times I saw the routes occur, it was totally disrupted. I would prefer to see Richards replace Berrios in those sets.

Well, not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. The point of using the RPO as part of tempo is a good one, as if we use it part of the way through a drive, where we don't allow the defense to sub, then I think it can be much more effective there as well. I also agree that the OL's subpar play doesn't justify abandoning using plays to attack the middle and/or use Njoku. Kaaya obviously doesn't need have to have a 7 step drop or 5 seconds to make all passes down the field. It is curious to use Berrios in that role, as he, maybe stereotypically, strikes me as a true slot WR that can use his short range quickness to make plays and move the chains, but he's not really fast enough or big enough to get to the places we needed him to get to or big enough to use his body to keep defenders away.

By the way, where did Dayall Harris go? He's barely been in the past two weeks.

RPO's run better with mobile QBs. Why are you pretending one has nothing to do with the other?

If contain has to worry about bubbles and the QB running, they have to stay more disciplined at the snap. And that indecision allows for runners to crease the defense easier. You coach defense ... You trying to tell me that you don't instruct your DL to attack mobile QBs in a different manner than immobile QBs?? :11263323124_b207743

It's the same concept as the triple-option. Yeah, you could run it without a super mobile QB ... But it lessens the effectiveness of the offense.

To put it simply ... Bobby Petrino didn't just remember how to coach offense this year, after 2 years of terrible offense at Louisville. He just has the QB to run it. Gus Malzhan isn't dumber now than he was as the OC at Auburn, he just doesn't have a generational talent playing QB for him. There's a reason Dak Prescott might be an issue for re-inserting Tony Romo back into the Dallas Cowboys offense ... And it's because of his running ability.

So ... Yeah, teams can run out of the spread without a running QB. But the teams that do it effectively, throw the ball 45 times a game to open the run lanes. And that's not who Richt is, right now. He's trying to be balanced, which means teams will keep 6 in the box against our shotgun looks. And our OL isn't good enough to beat the more talented teams on our schedule who do that.

Gripe about him being balanced all you want. I won't argue it. But folks who thought they were gonna see Richt doing a Art Briles or Josh McDaniels or Chad Morris impression set themselves up for disappointment. Richt wants to run the ball ... Did it at FSU and did it at UGA.

Dude, listen...

The RPO concepts that WE RUN...do not have QB run aspects built into them. We run a pure RUN/PASS OPTION, meaning the only options are to RUN (hand it off) or PASS (pull it and throw).

WE'RE NOT READING THE CONTAIN PLAYER, SO IT'S IRRELEVANT WHAT HE DOES. WE ARE READING AN "OVER HANG" PLAYER aka A FLAT DEFENDER.

RPO does not = read/option

Why do you guys think they're one in the same?

You can combine QB run concepts with RPO's and it basically becomes a triple option play, but that's not what we do. That's not even what most RPO teams do.

Advertisement

Guys...again...

We haven't had a couple good results, we've been taking chunks out of defenses with it. I charted one of our games and we were averaging over 9 YPP with our gun/RPO stuff.

All those bubble screens that we take for 8+ yards a pop...those are RPO's.
When Walton/Yearby breaks a big run out of the shotgun...it's usually due to an RPO.
Coley's long TD against GT was an RPO.

It's our best offense.

Somebody should sticky those videos so that we don't have to hear all these misconceptions regarding RPO's.
Everybody's talking about them but very few understand what they entail.
It's not the read/option.

Advertisement
Back