Well Richt seems to agree with us

Advertisement
I have no doubt that CMR will work tirelessly to fix this.

And that's the worrisome thing here...he doesn't need to work tirelessly he just needs to be able to think on his feet and adjust to the opponent.

This isn't something you can fix, IMO. If a guy who's been coaching for over 20 years goes up against an FSU defense that has struggled all year covering intermediate routes in the middle of the field and then all of a sudden decides to ignore that portion of the field ALL GAME....it's worrisome. When said coach sees what the opponent is doing and stubbornly refuses to adjust to what the defense is doing over the course of 4 quarters....it's worrisome.

There is definite cause for concern here. His run-run-pass on 3rd and long offense is like a throwback to Dave Wannstadt ball. He's not going to last long here calling plays this way. In the modern era you need to be able to throw the ball down the middle of the field to open up everything else.

If anything, that quote from Richt is more concerning than anything. Not only is he 450% wrong about playcalling being overrated...it's easily one of the most important aspects of the modern game.

I read it to say that he should have gone with more 2-back runs when he wanted to run, instead of the single-back runs. I think he's acknowledging that running out of shotgun is useless with Kaaya, because there is no run threat from the QB. So, he's going to run from more 2-back sets, which should also open up play-action pass from those sets.

That's how I interpret the comment. And I don't see it as a negative.

They're doesn't have to be a run threat from the QB!

Running the ball from spread formations is about GETTING DEFENDERS OUT OF THE BOX.

Having a mobile QB is irrelevant. It helps, because it's an added run threat, but that's not why OC's run the ball out of spread formations.

Any time you line-up with TE's and FB's you're going to get more defenders in the box. (a minimum of 8)
That makes it harder to run the ball.

When you line-up in the spread you remove defenders from the box. And a lot of times you make the DC sub-in an extra DB. (a lesser run defender)
When you add in RPO routes (like bubbles) then you pull defenders out of the box even further.

Lining up with TE's and FB's doesn't automatically = better run offense

Advertisement
I think Richt is just admitting that he let FSUs failure against spread teams in the previous weeks color his play calling. One thing that has always been true of great Hurricane teams was that we didn't adapt to other teams perceived weaknesses. In years past we had our bread and butter and we executed what we did best. We played power football with elite athletes and big athletic trench players and we used the run to set up the pass.

I think Richt did not feel like we were physically dominant enough for us to come out and just dare FSU to stop what we do best. He adjusted the game plan to be more open like Louisville and UNC with what I would call mixed results. A lot of people will get on here and talk about adjusting to the times and being more innovative on offense but, I think the past forumula for success is still valid in today's game. Alabama essentially utilizes the same philosophy with great success. If Richt can boost our recruiting to a consistent top 5 level and still snatch up some of those 3 star sofla sleepers we can get back to playing that way and everyone can stop *****ing about our play calling (until we lose a game).

UNC showed you Saturday why you can't build your offense around high flying pitch it all over the field play calling. They got in a bad weather game and got dominated. If they actually had a solid run game that didn't rely on spreading the field to be effective they might have been able to compete with VT.

10931235_868205676533365_6060613279808193002_n.jpg

Bring in Herman so we can lose to a Service academy! Oh I know, Les Miles. We want him runnings our offense. Why not offer Saban and Meyer as co-coaches and see what they say? Or Butch Davis- he went 1-5 against FSU! That's what we need. Lol dummies who are shook. Richt was the best possible hire we could make and there is no coach that was available last year or will be available this year who is better. Doubt that? Name one coaching candidate that we should have held out for or passed over.

Herman.

The Herman who just had his #6 ranked team lose to Navy? Navy doesn't even really recruit football players, it gets officer candidates who can play football. And he got his *** handed to him. Also Herman wasn't available last year, thank God

Thank God is what either LSU or Texas will say when they back the brinks truck into Herman's driveway.

Advertisement
I really wish he would just bring in a new OC to implement a spread offense after this year but I don't think that will happen. In any event, I do take some comfort in Richt actually admitting that he's rusty and changes need to be made. A refreshing change from "It starts me me. Now let me tell you how the players missed assignments and failed to execute."

I agree 100% with this. Gary Patterson did this a few years ago and it's been great for him. Imagine having a high powered offense with Manny's defense. Now that would be scary.

Last edited:
I really wish he would just bring in a new OC to implement a spread offense after this year but I don't think that will happen. In any event, I do take some comfort in Richt actually admitting that he's rusty and changes need to be made. A refreshing change from "It starts me me. Now let me tell you how the players missed assignments and failed to execute."

I agree 100% with this. Gary Patterson did this a few years ago and it's been great for him. Imagine having a high powered offense with Manny's defense. Now that would be scary.

The thing is Richt HAS run this type of offense before at FSU. The Sugar Bowl NC win over VT he spread out VT and Weinke picked them apart. They put up 40+ on a good defense that way. My problem is I suspect he may not be adjusting to the strengths and weaknesses of Kaaya and instead running his O the way he wants to run it. For example: no way you run RPO with BK as he really is no threat to run. Also maybe we take advantage of Kaaya being a streaky rhythm passer and call a couple of plays to get him warmed up (easy completions) then go downfield in a 4 wide set for several plays in a row.

The thing is Richt HAS run this type of offense before at FSU. The Sugar Bowl NC win over VT he spread out VT and Weinke picked them apart. They put up 40+ on a good defense that way. My problem is I suspect he may not be adjusting to the strengths and weaknesses of Kaaya and instead running his O the way he wants to run it. For example: no way you run RPO with BK as he really is no threat to run. Also maybe we take advantage of Kaaya being a streaky rhythm passer and call a couple of plays to get him warmed up (easy completions) then go downfield in a 4 wide set for several plays in a row.

Hard to argue with any of this stormsurge. There were certainly a number of things to be concerned about on Saturday night. Hopefully Mark Richt figures out how to fix them or is able to recruit so much ridiculous talent that it doesn't matter.

Advertisement
Strange because that seems like it would've played to their strengths also. What seems most likely to have worked is bunch formations or stacked receivers. Trips also. Anything that forces them to communicate a lot. Unfortunately we don't do much of that. In any event I don't think it's a good thing that what we apparently didn't do enough was use a fullback.

I agree. That FSU defense is in a funk. I didn't watch much from the UNC vs. FSU game the previous week, but I'm assuming UNC took a similar approach to what you're saying. Having trips and spreading out our receivers would've been the thing to do. Our offense seemed to be so basic that it allowed FSU's mediocre defense to play comfortable.

Advertisement
I was mad upset there was not many designed TE seem plays. That's where FSU is vulnerable. In the end we played terrible and should have tied the game. But I'm looking forward to the coming weeks. Just wish it was UNC day so we could get this bad taste out of our systems. Sucks losing 7 in a row to FSU

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

RPO's have NOTHING to do with QB runs though.

I think some of you guys are confusing RPO's with read/option stuff.

Last edited:

Guys...again...

RPO's have NOTHING to do with QB runs.

That's not entirely true, but I'm supporting you on these posts because it doesn't have everything to do with QB runs. There seems to be a lot of confusion about RPO on here, and I'm not sure why. It's been broken down time and again.

- Not every RPO is reading the DE; actually, many of them are reading a "stuck in between" LB who is responsible for, say, the "B" gap in run support and the stick route from the slot WR. When he makes his decision on which to cover, the QB either hands off or passes it over him.

- Some RPOs have three options: handoff, QB run, then bubble screen or the like. This is NOT the RPO Richt is running with Kaaya.

- We *have* done well with the passing option in the RPO this year and against FSU. In the GaTech game, it got Coley a TD by zipping it passed a pinching LB's ear. If I remember correctly (from watching in the stadium), in the 3rd quarter, on that huge, huge play where Stacy Coley got tripped up going into the endzone (then got a 5 yard neutral zone infraction immediately after because he was asking to be pulled out of the game and we went tempo), that was also an RPO.

In any case, we're not reading DEs and Kaaya isn't intended to run. We also ran it too much anyway, and Richt apparently admitted that much.

RPO's have NOTHING to do with QB runs though.

I think some of you guys are confusing RPO's with read/option stuff.

RPOs do work better with a mobile because the ends have to respect the fact that the QB could take off around the edge.

So while it's not read option, RPO can have some running options to it.

Advertisement
Back