Well Richt seems to agree with us

Cribby

All-American
Premium
Unlike the previous coach mark knows when something isn't working . Many have complained about too much rpo. Well here's his quote from today .

Richt has said he’s both rusty as a play-caller (a job he’s performing for the first time in a decade) and said play-calling is “overrated.” Asked about his play-calling, he said he probably favored RPO (run-pass option) plays too much and didn’t call enough designed two-back runs (fullback blocking for a running back).
“We’ll get back to that” in the coming weeks, he said.

Advertisement
Strange because that seems like it would've played to their strengths also. What seems most likely to have worked is bunch formations or stacked receivers. Trips also. Anything that forces them to communicate a lot. Unfortunately we don't do much of that. In any event I don't think it's a good thing that what we apparently didn't do enough was use a fullback.

Richt is smart. Next week is massive to see how this team responds coming off that emotional loss.

Advertisement
Even though I believe he's conservative as a HC, I believe he'll get better as a playcaller and some of his struggles now can be contributed to rust

That's maybe the worst thing he could have said if he actually follows through with it. I agree that we need to do a lot less RPO, but I'll be sick to my stomach if we become I formation heavy.

That's maybe the worst thing he could have said if he actually follows through with it. I agree that we need to do a lot less RPO, but I'll be sick to my stomach if we become I formation heavy.

Chise , I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was saying we need to get back to more designed runs. Where everyone on the field knows where the play is going , not the unknown of what the qb is reading at snap. Maybe admitting to getting a little too dependent on the rpo

Advertisement

Chise , I don't think that's what he meant. I think he was saying we need to get back to more designed runs. Where everyone on the field knows where the play is going , not the unknown of what the qb is reading at snap. Maybe admitting to getting a little too dependent on the rpo

I read it that he was planning to use the FB more, and the only time we do that is in the I formation. Maybe I misread it.

I read it that he was planning to use the FB more, and the only time we do that is in the I formation. Maybe I misread it.

You can also use one in power sets and that's not always in the I

You can also use one in power sets and that's not always in the I

lol

Advertisement
At least he is acknowledging that we may need to adjust some things. Unlike someone else that I know that kept stressing the "process." Let's see what changes are made.

Last edited:
crossover22[]_[];2657244 said:
Richt is smart. Next week is massive to see how this team responds coming off that emotional loss.

This.

The dude unlike Golden didn't win an avg of 9 games at UGA for years for nothing.

Advertisement
Less RPO means 100% that Richt does not trust Kaaya to get the offense into the proper play. Kaaya will not have freedom at the LOS anymore.

THANK GOODNESS !!!!!!

I read it to say that he should have gone with more 2-back runs when he wanted to run, instead of the single-back runs. I think he's acknowledging that running out of shotgun is useless with Kaaya, because there is no run threat from the QB. So, he's going to run from more 2-back sets, which should also open up play-action pass from those sets.

That's how I interpret the comment. And I don't see it as a negative.

I read it to say that he should have gone with more 2-back runs when he wanted to run, instead of the single-back runs. I think he's acknowledging that running out of shotgun is useless with Kaaya, because there is no run threat from the QB. So, he's going to run from more 2-back sets, which should also open up play-action pass from those sets.

That's how I interpret the comment. And I don't see it as a negative.

Your QB doesn't need to be a runner for your RB to run out of the shotgun.

Advertisement
Back