Well Richt seems to agree with us

Advertisement
Jesus, our OL even got their a$$es kicked on the extra point. SMH

Actually, Dobbard is a TE who pulled St Louis back when he got pushed down. Put Norton at LT and move St Louis to TE and see if that happens again. Poor adjustment to the Sunny injury.

Actually, Dobbard is a TE who pulled St Louis back when he got pushed down. Put Norton at LT and move St Louis to TE and see if that happens again. Poor adjustment to the Sunny injury.

Was it Dobard that got pushed back on the extra point?

I didn't see, I just know that whole side of the line got their **** pushed in.

That's maybe the worst thing he could have said if he actually follows through with it. I agree that we need to do a lot less RPO, but I'll be sick to my stomach if we become I formation heavy.

I agree, to the extent that he didn't need to broadcast his intentions. I would have been happy just with the recognition of what was wrong.

UM

Advertisement
I haven't bothered to read all of this thread but why can't the other "back" be Herndon? Why can't we go 3 wide and 2 backs with Herndon, **** put Njoku in the slot, and make the defense adjust to us? Run an original form of "RPO" based off the pre snap defensive alignment and maximize our best skill potential at the same time? What am I missing in this?
The OL is what it will be all year, iffy at best but bring in one less LB by going 3 wide.

Was it Dobard that got pushed back on the extra point?

I didn't see, I just know that whole side of the line got their **** pushed in.

it was st.louis

Advertisement
I haven't bothered to read all of this thread but why can't the other "back" be Herndon? Why can't we go 3 wide and 2 backs with Herndon, **** put Njoku in the slot, and make the defense adjust to us? Run an original form of "RPO" based off the pre snap defensive alignment and maximize our best skill potential at the same time? What am I missing in this?
The OL is what it will be all year, iffy at best but bring in one less LB by going 3 wide.

I agree. I'd like to see us put Herndon in the backfield during our spread sets...as an H-back.

We're simply getting our a$$es kicked up front. Our O-line looks terrible.
Beardzilla, how do you feel about the 2 give up run plays on 1st and 2nd and 20 after the Walton TD got called back and we still had FSU reeling?

I threw a chicken wing at the TV. #GarlicParm

That was easily the strangest series of play calls. It's as if Richt just ran out of ideas and/or plays.

He doesn't seem very sharp at this point in his OC career at UM. That's a given. Hopefully if it doesn't improve in years to come that he recognizes it and hires someone.

Do we have an offensive quality control guy?

I agree the RPO wasn't working too well. But that doesn't mean we NEED more 2 back runs to replace it. I'd be happier seeing more singleback formations rather than 2back formations. Our TE's give us an advantage against most teams, and I'd rather use them than that big *** fb. Either way Dobard and a FB shouldn't be on the field at the same time basically ever.

Strange because that seems like it would've played to their strengths also. What seems most likely to have worked is bunch formations or stacked receivers. Trips also. Anything that forces them to communicate a lot. Unfortunately we don't do much of that. In any event I don't think it's a good thing that what we apparently didn't do enough was use a fullback.
Richt's comment evokes the old saying that 'beatings will continue until morale improves.'

We needed to attack them vertically. Going more conservative with our OL seems like a die slowly strategy.

Advertisement
I watched that final drive 3 straight runs and then the 4th down touchdown. Horrific play calling by richt there. Took too long to score after already having a minute and half or more taken away because of the Carter targeting penalty. Braxton gave us the ball inside the 20 with 3:12 seconds left. We scored at the 1:37 mark

Actually, you can't help but be condescending. It's your thing. But it's all good! Lol

You keep replying to me from your coaching clinic perspectives.

Have you ever implemented something from a clinic, and found that it didn't work for you and your team strengths?

... We averaged 2.2 yards per rush. The run game was unsuccessful against FSU even if you want to give credit to RPO for when we were able to move the ball. But Richt is saying he used it too much to run the ball, and he didn't have success. He's acknowledging that, so why do you keep replying to me about something Richt is stating, and the stats validate?

The point I believe you're missing, which is obvious, sense you understand the concept of what RPO is and is supposed to do ... Is that we had the numbers we wanted when we ran the ball, and still didn't have success.

So, I'll try a different approach to see if we can find common ground ... Why do you think FSU was able to stifle the run AND limit the bubble game?

Fam ... my point is that, because all options plays are read plays, the read isn't the issue I'm talking about. Maybe others are talking about that, but you quoted me in your response. My point is about what I believe Richt was trying to get by running RPO plays.

IMO, he was using the bubble screens to keep the ends wide, so that his tackles could get help blocking on the inside runs. What he likely figured out from the FSU game is that the bubbles didn't help his tackles. So, he's going to use the TE and FB to do that.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But that's the point I take from the comment that started this thread. We'll see less RPO, and more 2-back.

Ok, again...

The "contain" player in an "even front" is the Defensive End. It doesn't matter how disciplined he is versus an RPO because HE'S NOT THE CONFLICT PLAYER. HE'S NOT THE ONE BEING READ BY THE QB. The DE is actually being blocked out by the Offensive Tackle, so he has outside contain regardless of what the QB does.

The defender who's being read is the SECOND LEVEL DEFENDER i.e. THE LINEBACKER. He's the one who's discipline is being tested.

Most RPO teams don't even have a running threat at QB. If you have a mobile Quarterback then you can add some QB running concepts into your RPO game, but QB runs are not a staple of the RPO world.

And FWIW, I'm fully aware that all option plays are "read" plays, however, they're not all called READ/OPTION.

Bubbles have nothing to do with the Defensive Ends. Bubbles influence flat defenders, not DE's.

The bubbles that we run are pure RPO's.

If we have numbers in the box because FSU bumped a Linebacker out to cover bubbles, we hand the ball off.
If FSU keeps the Linebacker in the box to help defend the run, we throw the bubble.

The act of the slot WR bubbling out is what pulls the Linebacker out of the box, thus helping us run the ball. The D-Ends are not an issue.

Most of our bubbles were successful versus FSU so I don't know how he would come to that conclusion you're talking about.

Not trying to be condescending but I don't really think you understand what an RPO concept entails and that's why you keep going back and forth with me. The DE's are meaningless in an RPO. IT'S THE 2nd LEVEL "CONFLICT PLAYER" THAT DETERMINES WHETHER WE CAN RUN THE BALL OR NOT.

If you think I'm being condescending then I guess I should just let you be wrong. There's obviously no way I can correct you without being condescending. Truth of the matter is, most people don't like being corrected, so they take it as the other person as being condescending. I'm not being condescending, I'm trying to show/teach you. However, like most people on here, you'd rather be a contrarian and go back and forth with a person who does football for a living and sees RPO's on a daily basis.
Perhaps I should just STFU and let you think that DC's widen their Defensive Ends to stop bubbles. LOL

FSU was able to control our offense because they played a lot of single-high coverage. Single-high not only takes away bubble but it leaves adequate defenders in the box to stop the run.

Similar to what ga tech plays

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back