Welcome to the U? (Ray Lewis III)

You guys are crazy comparing ray Lewis's kid to Jared Campbell.

Ray. Lewis.

Far and away the most admired, respected player to this generation. Taking his kid makes business sense.

So what? Ray Lewis has us by the balls and if we don't give his son a football scholarship he is never going to visit?

Business sense is getting the best 85 players on a team that you can. There are 15+ better RB's in Florida than this kid.

I agree that business sense is getting the best 85 on the team you can, but this is the U. We preach family, we preach us against them, we preach bleeding orange and green.

Sometimes its about more than the best 85 and I applaud that.

Advertisement
I don't think you offer the kid if you don't think he can contribute. You also don't offer him this early on if you don't think he can contribute. The question is what made Miami offer him so quick, and is he really on scholarship?

Ray. Lewis.

Far and away the most admired, respected player to this generation. Taking his kid makes business sense.

So what? Ray Lewis has us by the balls and if we don't give his son a football scholarship he is never going to visit?

Business sense is getting the best 85 players on a team that you can. There are 15+ better RB's in Florida than this kid.

I agree that business sense is getting the best 85 on the team you can, but this is the U. We preach family, we preach us against them, we preach bleeding orange and green.

We aren't tellin him to bounce...he can walk-on. Terrible precedent to set if he has a offer. You know how many players have sons that play football? Then you gotta start drawing lines on who's dad is good enough to offer a son lol...it would be a complete cluster****.

If this kid had USF/FIU offers...then maybe...but FIU isn't going to come close to offering this kid.

Advertisement

Ray. Lewis.

We aren't tellin him to bounce...he can walk-on. Terrible precedent to set if he has a offer. You know how many players have sons that play football? Then you gotta start drawing lines on who's dad is good enough to offer a son lol...it would be a complete cluster****.

If this kid had USF/FIU offers...then maybe...but FIU isn't going to come close to offering this kid.

Look I get what you are saying but if you dont understand why some people view Ray Lewis' son differently than all the rest of the players sons out there, then I guess we dont have anything to discuss.

Ray. Lewis.

how do you know this? USF and Tenn may have already

well at least this kid dominates his crappy competition and he's not a 'project'...he knows how to play football. I guess the questions are about the talent....he doesn't really stand out on film which is usually a bad sign. Take a look at the video section on this site and check out the films of the former UM greats.....they stick out like a sore thumb. That's what I want to see.

Advertisement
well at least this kid dominates his crappy competition and he's not a 'project'...he knows how to play football. I guess the questions are about the talent....he doesn't really stand out on film which is usually a bad sign. Take a look at the video section on this site and check out the films of the former UM greats.....they stick out like a sore thumb. That's what I want to see.

Pretty logical post.

Only time will tell. Golden isnt an idiot so I want to see this one play out.

lotta whining from know-it-alls, too bad they migrated here from scout or rivals or whatever cesspool....

grats RLIII!

Yeah cuz everyone thinking the pick up is great should be the the agreement around here huh? God forbid someone having a different opinion and getting called a "whiner" for stating their own opinion.

What happened to Al has a process? Let's let the man do his job and stop questioning him before we find out all the facts. Wasn't there a ton of complaining about the Terry kid from Palm Beach when the offer was first extended? Process...

Advertisement

Ray. Lewis.

You aren't this clueless.

It has nothing to do with him having us "by the balls.". In case you can't wrap your mind around it, there's a lot of ground between "never visit" and "kid on team; around a lot."

Business sense is managing your assets and resources. Your false dichotomy is bs.

Honestly, I'd rather let Golden handle the team motivation. It most likely wouldn't be a good situation if Ray Lewis was around the team a lot and not on staff.

Former players got us Coker and Shannon. More often then not, typing to please former players does not work out. While they have good intentions, they aren't getting paid to make decisions because they aren't qualified. Show me the team where former players helped them win a national championship by "being around a lot". It doesn't happen.

The bottom line is Golden doesn't need Ray Lewis to succeed, or his son. If player X is good enough to get an offer, then offer, and if he happens to be Ray Lewis's son that is great. But it needs to be done that way.
That's fair. I don't agree, but I see your point. iMO, comparing ray Lewis to Coker and Shannon is dumb. Maybe you think ray Lewis is just another player. I see him as a huge asset to the program, and assume golden does too, and assume golden has thought about what that means, and the how's and whys.

Ray Lewis isn't just Another player. He's not just another hall of famer, either. Nor is he just one of if not the best defensive player of all time. He is two things that are much more important than those things. He's the most inspirational and respected player we've ever seen, as measured by both teammates and opponents reactions to him. And he is a cultural icon to the kids we're recruiting.

Kids AG will be recruiting in the next few years will have never seen UM be good. They won't know Michael Irvin except on ESPN. Jimmy Johnson is just an announcer to them. But they know Ray Lewis. And they don't just know him. They respect him. Even idolize him. Do not underestimate that.

Barrow may not be around that long. Shannon's gone. Golden understands family, imagery and Cane history. He is smarter than you are giving him credit for. Your hysterical whining over this commitment is weird, frankly.

Last edited:
Think about how much better our LBs will be, just having Ray around to pick his brain. ****, wouldn't surprise me if Ray ends up being a coach here in a couple of years when he retires; then his son will be here for free

Gotta have 5 years of tenure for that last part. Hence why Brandon Harris was still on scholarship.

Unless Ray knows the in's and out's of our defense he really can't help much. Ray was a film freak and played in a system that let him run free. You can't teach what made/makes Ray one of the greatest ever.

We basically already have a "Ray Lewis" on staff in Barrow...and I'm not exactly 100% sold on that experiment.

You don't know what the **** you're talking about. The thought that Ray Lewis couldn't help our LB's "much". Or that he played in a "system that let him run free". I don't know which is the more completely stupid comment. 2 of the dumbest I've ever heard in one post. Great job.

Considering Ray has played in both a 4-3, and a 3-4, and for coordinators like Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis, Pagano, Mike Nolan, etc how in the **** do you figure that he's been playing in the same **** system his whole career? Man just shut the **** up.

Stop posting. Seriously.

Advertisement
Think about how much better our LBs will be, just having Ray around to pick his brain. ****, wouldn't surprise me if Ray ends up being a coach here in a couple of years when he retires; then his son will be here for free

Gotta have 5 years of tenure for that last part. Hence why Brandon Harris was still on scholarship.

Unless Ray knows the in's and out's of our defense he really can't help much. Ray was a film freak and played in a system that let him run free. You can't teach what made/makes Ray one of the greatest ever.

We basically already have a "Ray Lewis" on staff in Barrow...and I'm not exactly 100% sold on that experiment.

You don't know what the **** you're talking about. The thought that Ray Lewis couldn't help our LB's "much". Or that he played in a "system that let him run free". I don't know which is the more completely stupid comment. 2 of the dumbest I've ever heard in one post. Great job.

Considering Ray has played in both a 4-3, and a 3-4, and for coordinators like Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis, Pagano, Mike Nolan, etc how in the **** do you figure that he's been playing in the same **** system his whole career? Man just shut the **** up.

Stop posting. Seriously.

This isn't the WEZ, keep the personal attacks down.

Ray. Lewis.

You aren't this clueless.

It has nothing to do with him having us "by the balls.". In case you can't wrap your mind around it, there's a lot of ground between "never visit" and "kid on team; around a lot."

Business sense is managing your assets and resources. Your false dichotomy is bs.

Honestly, I'd rather let Golden handle the team motivation. It most likely wouldn't be a good situation if Ray Lewis was around the team a lot and not on staff.

Former players got us Coker and Shannon. More often then not, typing to please former players does not work out. While they have good intentions, they aren't getting paid to make decisions because they aren't qualified. Show me the team where former players helped them win a national championship by "being around a lot". It doesn't happen.

The bottom line is Golden doesn't need Ray Lewis to succeed, or his son. If player X is good enough to get an offer, then offer, and if he happens to be Ray Lewis's son that is great. But it needs to be done that way.
That's fair. I don't agree, but I see your point. iMO, comparing ray Lewis to Coker and Shannon is dumb. Maybe you think ray Lewis is just another player. I see him as a huge asset to the program, and assume golden does too, and assume golden has thought about what that means, and the how's and whys.

Ray Lewis isn't just Another player. He's not just another hall of famer, either. Nor is he just one of if not the best defensive player of all time. He is two things that are much more important than those things. He's the most inspirational and respected player we've ever seen, as measured by both teammates and opponents reactions to him. And he is a cultural icon to the kids we're recruiting.

Kids AG will be recruiting in the next few years will have never seen UM be good. They won't know Michael Irvin except on ESPN. Jimmy Johnson is just an announcer to them. But they know Ray Lewis. And they don't just know him. They respect him. Even idolize him. Do not underestimate that.

Barrow may not be around that long. Shannon's gone. Golden understands family, imagery and Cane history. He is smarter than you are giving him credit for. Your hysterical whining over this commitment is weird, frankly.

This really sticks out to me. Reads throughout the thread as if sub150 is pushing some kind of agenda.

Congratulate the kid and trust the GoldenAl has a plan that he is executing.

Congrats RLIII, now shut some mouths with your play!

CanesEs4life.... For every Adderley there is a Thomas Finnie.. Feliciano type Ed. Reed comparison.. so you can't have your cake and eat it two.

I'm all for helping out the former players but if we are already facing scholarship reductions most likely, and this kid ain't gonna help us. If he takes the spot of one of the 3 DT's and we are low on DT's this kid ain't gonna step in there and hold his own against the run.

If he wants to walk-on then that is great...but if Ray Lewis isn't gonna come visit because we didn't offer his son a football scholarship that's his problem. We owe Ray Lewis nothing, just like he owes us nothing. If he wants to give back that is great, but it doesn't mean we have to offer his son who is not a BCS level prospect. This is a business.

DMoney, for every Sinorice there is a Jakari, JARED CAMPBELL, Jared Payton, AJ Highsmith. Do we owe every former players son a football scholarship? If so we may need to start a second team.

One Jakari never got an offer and went to a crowded backfield @ lsu where he was 4th string..because they like "big" backs.

The other bolded were/are worth their schollies.....Payton was a solid rb....and Aj Highsmith is our 2nd string safety and likely starter in 2013....is it his fault he was lined up at qb..im surprised he beat out some guys to get the 2nd team spot and see spot duty last yr.

Advertisement
Back