Welcome to the U? (Ray Lewis III)

Holy ******* **** are some of you retarded, and I'm looking right at you sub150. I don't care if you think the kid should not have a spot in this class, but calling him a D2 prospect is flat out stupid. Jesus christ, it's not like the kid had a good week of camp and we offered him a scholarship despite no production. He runs for 2000 yards as a junior, while also playing defensive back to the tune of 90 tackles. He has offers from Tennessee and Wisconsin, but I guess you consider those D2 schools as well. But I guess they were just offering him because of his name, too?

Advertisement
Some of you guys will be eating your words in 2 years.. The kid can't control which prep school his father pays for him to go to or how good the competition he faces is. He can control playing hard and dominating who ever he faces, as he has done (look at the stats). He has nice cutting ability, plays hard, and appears to be a student of the game. He may not be the next Frank Gore but he looks like he'd be a PLAYER @ safety.

Look at the combine, the same players who were testifying that they ran 4.3's in high school, were running 4.6's at the combine. So are you telling me that after 3-5 years of coaching, eating property, training hard, and working with speed coaches, these guys got slower? There are small handful of High School players running under legit 4.4's. RL3 (hope that sticks lol) is one of the many without world class straight line speed. And that's okay because he film shows he's a playmaker at many positions.

The WR Scott is another players that comes to mind who was in a similar position. He 'balled out' at a small private school against lesser competition and when you asked Golden who stands out at spring practices, Scott is one of the players he mentions. Also, Scott didn't have the offers RL3 has...

IMO, Great pick-up!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Tennessee and Wisconsin might have 'offered' Ray junior for the same reason we did....who knows.

I don't care if he's a 4' 1" hobbitt. If he is a good player and the coaches think he adds value to the team and meets the standards of admission he is eligible to be offered a scholarship.

Folks can always ***** later if he doesn't "measure" up.

I'm ok with him coming in to play safety if we can also get an elite S prospect right now.

really don't think he is a RB at Miami

Advertisement
I have no prob with this kid getting an offer. Amazing how many posters truly feel they can evaluate talent better than someone who does it for a career (i.e., professional CFB coaches). Funny, if I recall, we just had the most heralded recruits just leave here with a horrible 4year win-loss record.

You guys are crazy comparing ray Lewis's kid to Jared Campbell.

Ray. Lewis.

Far and away the most admired, respected player to this generation. Taking his kid makes business sense.

So what? Ray Lewis has us by the balls and if we don't give his son a football scholarship he is never going to visit?

Business sense is getting the best 85 players on a team that you can. There are 15+ better RB's in Florida than this kid.
You aren't this clueless.

It has nothing to do with him having us "by the balls.". In case you can't wrap your mind around it, there's a lot of ground between "never visit" and "kid on team; around a lot."

Business sense is managing your assets and resources. Your false dichotomy is bs.

Honestly, I'd rather let Golden handle the team motivation. It most likely wouldn't be a good situation if Ray Lewis was around the team a lot and not on staff.

Former players got us Coker and Shannon. More often then not, typing to please former players does not work out. While they have good intentions, they aren't getting paid to make decisions because they aren't qualified. Show me the team where former players helped them win a national championship by "being around a lot". It doesn't happen.

The bottom line is Golden doesn't need Ray Lewis to succeed, or his son. If player X is good enough to get an offer, then offer, and if he happens to be Ray Lewis's son that is great. But it needs to be done that way.
That's fair. I don't agree, but I see your point. iMO, comparing ray Lewis to Coker and Shannon is dumb. Maybe you think ray Lewis is just another player. I see him as a huge asset to the program, and assume golden does too, and assume golden has thought about what that means, and the how's and whys.

Ray Lewis isn't just Another player. He's not just another hall of famer, either. Nor is he just one of if not the best defensive player of all time. He is two things that are much more important than those things. He's the most inspirational and respected player we've ever seen, as measured by both teammates and opponents reactions to him. And he is a cultural icon to the kids we're recruiting.

Kids AG will be recruiting in the next few years will have never seen UM be good. They won't know Michael Irvin except on ESPN. Jimmy Johnson is just an announcer to them. But they know Ray Lewis. And they don't just know him. They respect him. Even idolize him. Do not underestimate that.

Barrow may not be around that long. Shannon's gone. Golden understands family, imagery and Cane history. He is smarter than you are giving him credit for. Your hysterical whining over this commitment is weird, frankly.

Ray Lewis can be all those things you mentioned to Miami without his son being here. If for whatever reason this kid goes else where ray Lewis will remain a Mia i Hurricane and his involment with the program won't change.

Advertisement
Can someone explain to me how Ray Lewis would help us win more games? Keep in mind Ray Lewis is most likely a booster, unless he has never given a donation. What can he do that our current coaches can't?

LOL. This is funny b/c these guys act as if this kid doesn't get a scholly here then ray lewis will quit on this program. LMFAO.

Lulz @ "Miami caliber". Glad we have talent evaluators here that can deem a kid not good enough to play for a 6-6 team.

Some of you guys will be eating your words in 2 years.. The kid can't control which prep school his father pays for him to go to or how good the competition he faces is. He can control playing hard and dominating who ever he faces, as he has done (look at the stats). He has nice cutting ability, plays hard, and appears to be a student of the game. He may not be the next Frank Gore but he looks like he'd be a PLAYER @ safety.

Look at the combine, the same players who were testifying that they ran 4.3's in high school, were running 4.6's at the combine. So are you telling me that after 3-5 years of coaching, eating property, training hard, and working with speed coaches, these guys got slower? There are small handful of High School players running under legit 4.4's. RL3 (hope that sticks lol) is one of the many without world class straight line speed. And that's okay because he film shows he's a playmaker at many positions.

The WR Scott is another players that comes to mind who was in a similar position. He 'balled out' at a small private school against lesser competition and when you asked Golden who stands out at spring practices, Scott is one of the players he mentions. Also, Scott didn't have the offers RL3 has...

IMO, Great pick-up!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME ABOARD!!!

+1000

Rashawn Scott was one of my favorite recruits from the 2011 class. The star whores weren't impressed because he played at a small school and was "only a 3-star recruit." But if you know how to evaluate film, you could tell that the kid is one **** of a football player. Ray Ray is similar to Rashawn in my opinion. Small school guy who knows how to play football, is extremely shifty and slippery (great feet), and has an extremely high football I.Q. All of the speed and talent in the world can't teach you these traits. They are inherent in some players. In my opinion, the kid will come in and outwork most everyone on the team and in a couple of years, will make a name for himself. You so called "EXPERTS" keep on forgetting that some of the greatest football players of all-time, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, James Lofton, Steve Largent, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, just to name a few, weren't the fastest guys in the world. However, they all possessed the same traits: hard-work, extremely competitive, high-football I.Q., great leadership skills and a never quit attitude. Funny, I just described the prototypical UM player. It's all about the U!!!

Advertisement
Rashawn Scott's film was much different than Lewis'. That's just an absurd comparison.

yep. Scott 'jumped out' on the film...as I mentioned earlier in this thread, that's the key in determining if the kid will be a player. It was blatantly obvious that Scott was much bigger, stronger, and faster than everyone else.

Rashawn Scott's film was much different than Lewis'. That's just an absurd comparison.

yep. Scott 'jumped out' on the film...as I mentioned earlier in this thread, that's the key in determining if the kid will be a player. It was blatantly obvious that Scott was much bigger, stronger, and faster than everyone else.

Looking back.. I agree with that statement. He looked HUGE on film. But he also never 'let off the gas' when playing, which is something you see a lot when watching HS film. Ray Lewis III plays the same way.

If I was Coach Williams, as soon as this young man steps on campus, Id be in his ear about how I need a playmaking-leader at S and how crowded that offensive backfield looks. He would be able to able to wake-up and brush his teeth without me popping in to remind him he'd look soo much "cooler" on D.. lol

Advertisement
lol at this thread.. people act like this kid is some no talent hack and he's getting an offer solely off who his dad is.. Does he look like a super stud in the making? Probably not. Does he look like a guy who will put in the work and contribute? I think so. I feel like this is the type of kid that we normally don't offer, goes to VT and then makes us regret not offering. It's happened more than once. Now that golden is here I don't think it'll happen as much.

Here's a good question, did Fsu offer Deon Sanders kid a scholly? Where's he going? Oh right not to Fsu, least they knew better. And you could argue Deon Sanders is the Ray Lewis of Fsu based on legacy.

Here's a good question, did Fsu offer Deon Sanders kid a scholly? Where's he going? Oh right not to Fsu, least they knew better. And you could argue Deon Sanders is the Ray Lewis of Fsu based on legacy.

this comparison is only valid if the two kids are equal prospects.. i get the feeling that prime time jr. isn't as highly touted as little ray ray.

Advertisement
Back