Weekend Visits

I don't like the idea of bringing in JuCo DTs. I understand we need impact guys for next year, but we also need to build depth. What happens in a year or two when those guys are gone have we have no bodies at DT?
Why is it one or the other? No one is saying only recruit jucos. But we have big needs now now now. And HS kids take time to develop. And we aren't in the running for any amazing hs prospects at the spot anyhow. And there just aren't that many great dl that come out each year. So you take the best prospects you can find, but if you need a couple jucos, take them too.

This

Advertisement
What is the word on Corey King? I always read here that he is a lost cause, but i recall him being mentioned as one of the future stars on the scout teame, along w/ Dallas Crawford, and Williams.... any thoughts?

What is the word on Corey King? I always read here that he is a lost cause, but i recall him being mentioned as one of the future stars on the scout teame, along w/ Dallas Crawford, and Williams.... any thoughts?

I have the same question. Golden seems to mention him often but folks here says he's a waste?

Saban brings in 4-6 dlineman a year with 1-2 JUCOs. If you look at their lines the past few years it has been 1 JUCO and 2 3 star kids starting.

Saban definitely puts an emphasis on the front seven in recruiting.

A sampling of defensive linemen playing for Saban...

Marcel Dareus - ****
Terrence Cody - **** (JUCO)
Josh Chapman - ***
Courtney Upshaw (Jack Linebacker) - ****
Nick Gentry - ***
Damion Square - ****
Quinton Dial - *** went JUCO and came back a ****

But one thing he does do, is load up on front seven recruiting. Defensive line signeees by year.

07 - 8
08 - 9
09 - 6
10 - 6
11 - 6

That's potentially 35 players at the defensive line...attrition proof.

Good post. Would be interested to see who got in, who moved positions and who moved on, as obviously he doesn't have that many schollies tied up in DLs.

Random Examples continued...

**** Freshman and Prep recruit Kerry Murphy ('Canes fans may remember him), never made it...but *** recruits Josh Chapman and Nick Gentry are the teams Top 2 on the depth chart this season.
**** DE prospects Donta Hightower and Courtney Upshaw play inside linebacker and Jack linebacker respectively.
**** DE prospect Michael Williams plays tight end.
*** DE prospect Brandon Lewis is playing somewhere on the offensive side of the ball.
*** DE prospect Glenn Harbin is not on the team...he may be playing baseball, he was on the team before this season as a jack linebacker.
*** DE prospect Undra Billingsley is a backup on the defensive line.
***/**** DE prospect Quinton Dial signed, then went JUCO, came back to Bama and is in the rotation on the DL.

Overall, I'm finding that a majority of these kids are still on the team in some regard, playing somewhere.nn

Minor correction. Murphy made it in eventually but a knee injury forced him to quit playing football.

Howard, Bush and Goldman will play early at most schools. Howard will start at most schools. I doubt early playing time will be a selling point for these guys.

Advertisement
Saban brings in 4-6 dlineman a year with 1-2 JUCOs. If you look at their lines the past few years it has been 1 JUCO and 2 3 star kids starting.

Saban definitely puts an emphasis on the front seven in recruiting.

A sampling of defensive linemen playing for Saban...

Marcel Dareus - ****
Terrence Cody - **** (JUCO)
Josh Chapman - ***
Courtney Upshaw (Jack Linebacker) - ****
Nick Gentry - ***
Damion Square - ****
Quinton Dial - *** went JUCO and came back a ****

But one thing he does do, is load up on front seven recruiting. Defensive line signeees by year.

07 - 8
08 - 9
09 - 6
10 - 6
11 - 6

That's potentially 35 players at the defensive line...attrition proof.

Terrence Cody wanted to come here and Shanon said no. I think Cody was from the Fla south west coast like Ft Myers are.

Cody would have been a BIGTIME waste here. Even with Saban, he still battled weight problems and despite the highlights of blocking kicks and whatnot, wasn't even a consistent starter. Saban, however, found a way to utilize him in spots which enabled him to actually contribute to the team's success. WHo here thinks Randy would have figured out a way to do that? We'd be sitting here reflecting on how Randy took a 400 pound kid that was always in his doghouse and never played because he was overweight.

I know that duke is supposedly the second coming, but I was looking at Mike Davis tape, and he seems to be as good or better than the duke, and also carries an extra 40 lbs. Maybe Davis plays weaker competition in Ga, but dude has about the best highlight reel that I've seen

40 more pounds then Duke?? No, I don't think, Davis is listed at 195 on scout. What do you believe Duke weighs 160?? Duke is right around 190.

pffff. duke is no where near 190. matter of fact if he can get to 190 in 3 years that would be phenomenal.

that is why he is not a 5 star on most sites FWIW. the rankings are for projection purposes. Duke's size is a concern moving into college. there is no getting around it.

One thing about Golden though, is he's always been known for solid Defensive line play on his D's.

He's got a plan.

Advertisement
Had a friend tell me something I thought was a bit simplistic, but when I think on it more fully, it makes good sense.

"Defense wins games.

Offense packs stadiums."

I'm ready to start winning some games.

Arkansas had the offense. They needed defense and hired a great coordination - Corch.

I'd prefer not to go the JUCO route for DT this year, simply because we need to recruit/develop impact underclassmen.

DT is going to look like a wasteland in a year or two.

Need someone that can come in and hold the line of scrimmage NOW.

Bringing in someone that can contribute right now at a position of need is not going to hinder the development of a player 2-3 years down the line as long as you bring in that player. For a defensive tackle, more than anything, they need to continue to develop that body and get stronger and more mature physically. I like Jalen Grimble...he was a 5-star kid...BUT, he was hindered by his lack of physical maturity over the course of the entire season. If you get the HS player...you will get play like that or worse. You'd be getting a role player, but not a player that you can rely on to hold the line.

Do you think any of the current DTs will emerge to hold the line NOW?

Brown

Davis

Garmon

I think Brown plays the best competition and he has a connection with Diggs.

Davis looks good but is he is the same size as Duke, meaning why bring in two backs that bring the same thing to the table?

Garmon, meh not real impressed but the kid is a good athlete and has a chance to be good at the next level. H back perhaps?

I remember one of the blonde scout broads saying that Diggs and Brown weren't very close anymore and weren't looking to go to school together anymore, fwiw.

Advertisement
I think everyone but price said they are still going to visit next week or the week after

Advertisement
What about Michael Minns who plays for Dwyer. He reportedly dominated STA last week. I wonder if grades are an issue.

Them boys ain't coming here.

You obviously must be in direct contact with these kids, have access to Golden's recruiting board, and have spent years evaluating high school and JUCO talent.

Got it. Thanks for the analysis.

Relax homie. Heavily recruited, impact DTs aren't looking at Miami. I haven't seen us connected with any marquee DTs other than about 3 this cycle and none of them look like they're gonna end up here.

Advertisement
Back