Wednesday, 8/26 PractiSe

Advertisement
It's not that I don't like him or don't recognize his greatness, I just wasn't alive during his career, so I didn't really see him play except in highlights.

I fully acknowledge he was one of the greatest of all-time, my list was personal favorite, not who was the best.
It's funny your last comment because i'm glad i reread what you originally stated about "your personal favorites," changed my whole reply hahaha. i was only really aware near the end of his career, but i used to love watching the old NFL films on him.

My roommate in grad school when we were GA's was a big Sweetness guy. He's actually the one who got me more into his game as a complete and total back. I was on the Barry train before that, but he convinced me and won me over. Can't go wrong with either

Advertisement
Yeas this weekend I believe.

This will be the last week of Fall camp & for the next 2 weeks will be preparing for UAB.

Depth charts will be set & gameplans will be being fully implemented, everything will be vs Scout team.
Good. Im starting to turn the corner started to get jacked up for the 1st game. We need the information we've gotten on practice to transcend to the actual game.

Advertisement
**** right it is...

Just A Friend Oh Snap GIF by MOODMAN

Disagree...on a few fronts, especially nutrition.

- It’s fair to say nutrition has advanced in nearly 40 years so where are the multitude of Bo Jacksons and Herschel Walkers today?
They're there, but with the changes in the game they're playing other positions like WLB. There's been a trend to smaller RBs. Imagine Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas as a fullback.
- Brown played at a time when comparatively he was one of the biggest on the field. In the 70’s the average OL was 6’3” 250 (Henry would be Jim Brown in Jim Brown days). Brown retired in ‘65.
Everyone on the field was smaller. I remember when Ernie Ladd was the only player over 300 lbs. But what's your point.

Jim Brown wasn't just a big lumbering fullback running over little white boys. Overall, he was a generational athlete who excelled in several sports. He was All American in lacrosse and is in the Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Was the second leading scorer on the basketball team. Came in fifth in the NCAA championships in the decathlon.
- “There’s broken China everywhere, there’s a pachyderm in a shop way too small, and I can’t figure out how the China broke” OR the “see no evil post” OR … “Why **** Schaap decided he would NEVER vote for the Heisman trophy again”. BUT, it can’t be “the era of the middle LB (Butkis, Huff, Nietske, Nobis, Bednarick, George, Schmidt, Lucci, etc.)” Because it’s possible that both Brown AND many of those LB’s had an overinflated value. And for those whose idea of subtlety is using a sledge hammer to kill a mosquito…race.

Put Sanders in Brown’s era and he runs for more yards; put Brown in Barry’s and he runs for considerably fewer. Brown, though a statistical and chronological anomaly, ain’t the goat - unless you’re including “ho-slapping” in the criteria.
I don't know how you can say they're overinflated. Most of them are in the Hall of Fame. Because of how the game was played then, an active MLB was considered necessary. Teams without them fared poorly. In todays game, those that couldn't play in coverage would be playing different positions. Bednarick was also an All Pro center. Also, Butkis was All American at center.

If you mix and match players from different eras, who knows what his stats they would have. It speculative mental *********ion. You just can't compare people from different eras. The great ones that separate themselves from their own generation (like Brown or Sanders) , would be great in any era.

Advertisement
They're there, but with the changes in the game they're playing other positions like WLB. There's been a trend to smaller RBs. Imagine Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas as a fullback.

Everyone on the field was smaller. I remember when Ernie Ladd was the only player over 300 lbs. But what's your point.

Jim Brown wasn't just a big lumbering fullback running over little white boys. Overall, he was a generational athlete who excelled in several sports. He was All American in lacrosse and is in the Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Was the second leading scorer on the basketball team. Came in fifth in the NCAA championships in the decathlon.

I don't know how you can say they're overinflated. Most of them are in the Hall of Fame. Because of how the game was played then, an active MLB was considered necessary. Teams without them fared poorly. In todays game, those that couldn't play in coverage would be playing different positions. Bednarick was also an All Pro center. Also, Butkis was All American at center.

If you mix and match players from different eras, who knows what his stats they would have. It speculative mental *********ion. You just can't compare people from different eras. The great ones that separate themselves from their own generation (like Brown or Sanders) , would be great in any era.
- Le’Veon Bell is the “same” size as Bo Jackson and he’s not alone. Now name all the same size non-LBs playing running back that are better
than Bo was. I’d say I’ll wait but you’re just trying defend your post, so I won’t. America is fatter than it’s ever been…I don’t think nutrition for the masses have improved that much.
- Actually … he was literally “running over little white boys”, in lacrosse and in football.
- They’re in the HOF because the sport didn’t give equal opportunity to all. That doesn’t mean they weren’t great athletes and wouldnt Make the hall of Fame anyway, but how many of those LB’s you mentioned were non-white? You didn’t mention Taylor, Seau because there were fewer opportunities.

It’s never a good idea to mix and match but I’d that’s the instructions … you do the best you can. Everyone with any knowledge of sport knows that, but to think that all would be greats or HOF simply because of their era … when some IN THAT ERA WERE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY? Uh, no.

Advertisement
- Le’Veon Bell is the “same” size as Bo Jackson and he’s not alone. Now name all the same size non-LBs playing running back that are better
than Bo was. I’d say I’ll wait but you’re just trying defend your post, so I won’t. America is fatter than it’s ever been…I don’t think nutrition for the masses have improved that much.
- Actually … he was literally “running over little white boys”, in lacrosse and in football.
- They’re in the HOF because the sport didn’t give equal opportunity to all. That doesn’t mean they weren’t great athletes and wouldnt Make the hall of Fame anyway, but how many of those LB’s you mentioned were non-white? You didn’t mention Taylor, Seau because there were fewer opportunities.

It’s never a good idea to mix and match but I’d that’s the instructions … you do the best you can. Everyone with any knowledge of sport knows that, but to think that all would be greats or HOF simply because of their era … when some IN THAT ERA WERE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY? Uh, no.
I didn't mention them because they didn't play with Jim Brown. No one's denying that many weren't allowed to play. It was still early in the process of integration. The point is the style of play at that time dictated a certain type of player at different positions. If blacks were more fully represented, they would have fallen into roles required by the offensive and defensive philosophies used at that time.

I didn't mention them because they didn't play with Jim Brown. No one's denying that many weren't allowed to play. It was still early in the process of integration. The point is the style of play at that time dictated a certain type of player at different positions. If blacks were more fully represented, they would have fallen into roles required by the offensive and defensive philosophies used at that time.
I hope I’m not minimizing Butkis, et.al. That’s not my intent. I‘m probably more minimizing Brown because I don’t think he’s the goat.

I hope I’m not minimizing Butkis, et.al. That’s not my intent. I‘m probably more minimizing Brown because I don’t think he’s the goat.
I was initially responding to someone minimizing Jim Brown.

As far as the goat, who's to say. Comparisons are difficult unless they played under the same conditions. But if you were to pick a top 5 (from any era), it would be hard to exclude him. And certainly Barry Sanders would be in the top 5 also.

I was initially responding to someone minimizing Jim Brown.

As far as the goat, who's to say. Comparisons are difficult unless they played under the same conditions. But if you were to pick a top 5 (from any era), it would be hard to exclude him. And certainly Barry Sanders would be in the top 5 also.
I would agree with that he would be in the top 5. Barry…my number 1.

Advertisement
Back