Wednesday, 8/26 PractiSe

Advertisement
All Sanders had was Lomas Brown...Lol at the Lions having a better OL than Covert...Keith Van Horne and Hilgenberg...

I doubt it. The rules today favor a wide open offense. Not so much back then. The game was played different and rougher than it is today. Going against stacked lines, with 7/8 in the box, was the norm. It was the era of the middle LB (Butkis, Huff, Nietske, Nobis, Bednarick, George, Schmidt, Lucci, etc.). It was a time when you stopped the RB, you won the game. There weren't many teams that could expose DBs like today. Most team didn't employ zone coverages, there was no need. Also, it was before the league was watered down with expansion.

This has been debated here before, I know what you're going to say, today they're bigger and faster. But if you take a Jim Brown and submit him to the nutritional and training regimens of today, they would also be bigger and faster. The truly great ones would be great in any era.
Sanders was dodging 3 defenders in the backfield on half his carries. Played on horrible teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Man I loved growing up watching Barry do his thing. Anyone who says Barry had a good Oline is dead wrong. He was running 10-15 yards a carry just to get 5 yards. His Oline couldnt block worth a **** and Lions QBs for most of the years were straight a$$. Opposing teams loaded the box and STILL Barry would bust huge runs on teams. Scott Mitchell and Rodney Peete at QB lmao.

I
Thanks for clarifying you werent a fan of the double murder CIO :LOL:
I know...Lol...loved OJ...Dude was 6'2 230lbs with Olympic Speed....Juice was no joke....but he had a tremendously talented OL....I was always a Huge Mercury Morris fan....Loved watching him run with his hand on Larry Littles or Kuechenbergs back....before breaking long runs...that game he had against the Patriots in 73 was the best I've ever seen a Dolphin RB have...

Advertisement
Rod Woodson shredded his knee from one of Barry's jukes. GOAT. There have been other greats, but Barry left another 8K yards on the field retiring early. He'd have the rushing record by a mile had he hung around like Smith piling up stats. Smith is the Don Sutton to Barry's Sandy Koufax.

Man I loved growing up watching Barry do his thing. Anyone who says Barry had a good Oline is dead wrong. He was running 10-15 yards a carry just to get 5 yards. His Oline couldnt block worth a **** and Lions QBs for most of the years were straight a$$. Opposing teams loaded the box and STILL Barry would bust huge runs on teams. Scott Mitchell and Rodney Peete at QB lmao.
All he realistically had was Lomas Brown.....

Advertisement
Alot of people forget, but OJ also had Dwight Braxton at FB....who'd Knock you on your *** as well with his blocks...

Yes they were...Stop it....Just Hilgenburg and Covert alone shats on anything Detroit had...
They didn't get there until later in Sweetness Career...like near the end (84-85

So a perennially pro bowl LT in Lomas Brown and then a Center in Kevin Glover who made a few pro bowls sucks right. If you want to say they were about even in Sweetness later years, i'd buy that. However saying they were head and shoulders better and Barry had nothing is just outright wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back