We (should) go 12-0

We had a lot of things that didn't go our way as well.

Hurricane
Canceled cupcake game
21 day layoff during the season
Having to practice in Orlando
Make up games taking place of bye week

Pretty tough way to begin the year, just from a conditioning standpoint. 9 guys who played vs. Toledo in our first game after the long layoff were unavailable the next week vs. GaTech due to various injuries. Factor that in the next time someone says we barely beat GaTech on a lucky bounce.

Things like that coupled with oddities like going through an entire season without an opposing team missing a FG or XP...no Holding calls between FSU and Clemson

Not a whole lot bounced our way really, other than both Homer and Rosier playing better than expected. Remember everyone being worried about Homer and ball security this time last season? Remember all the chicken little's claiming the season would be over if Walton got injured.

Stop trying to excuse last season a dumb luck. A lot of hard work and effort under adverse conditions went into that 10-3 effort.
#1 rb who the offense was going to be featured around out for the year game 4. Many held their breath and was scared for him to go down before the season.

#1 receiver option was never healthy all year either.

A lot of stuff didn’t go our way but “canes” fans will act like the season was a facade because a few close wins

Advertisement
Regular season should be 11-1/10-2.

LSU/FSU are toss ups.

Rosier may make the ACC games difficult like last year. We could have easily lost a few more.

We have the talent and leadership to have a very successful season and I expect the whole team to look better as we get deeper into Richts tenure and further from Golden.
THIS, +1

Miami is probably better on paper than everybody on their schedule for the regular season, That doesn't mean they'll automatically win those games. Alabama is better than every other team in the nation and they still manage to lose games. I'm optimistic but realistic. 10-11 regular season wins very attainable.

The posters expecting 12-0 and saying games are already "in the bag" just started watching Miami football again when they found out the team doesn't suck anymore.

I don’t see us being at Clemson’s level as an overall team yet; at some positions, yes but not as the collective whole. We’ll need a few more recruiting classes in the Top 10 to warrant a discussion of beating Clemson or even going 12-0 for that matter

Advertisement
I don’t see us being at Clemson’s level as an overall team yet; at some positions, yes but not as the collective whole. We’ll need a few more recruiting classes in the Top 10 to warrant a discussion of beating Clemson or even going 12-0 for that matter
Clemson hasnt even averaged top 10 classes the last 5 years they just recruited certain positions really well dline, qb and receiver

it's very very hard for a team to go undefeated, a lot has to go right, the 2001 Miami Hurricanes are considered by many as the best college football team ever. (See Miami Hurricanes @ Boston College 2001, and Miami @ Virginia Tech 2001). 10-2 is more likely. 11-1 very possible with a break or 2. 12-0 if we get lucky.

Clemson hasnt even averaged top 10 classes the last 5 years they just recruited certain positions really well dline, qb and receiver

Overall, yes, but they have had low #s that skew the talent they get, look at the average rating of their recruits, that's why they have been elite

2018 - 93.4 average (ELITE)
2017 - 92 average
2016 - 90.3 average

anything above 90 on average is legit

That's true, they recruit well on the Dline. Their DB's are nothing special. Wr's group is elite. Oline is "good". Backers are ok. RB's are elite.

Advertisement
Overall, yes, but they have had low #s that skew the talent they get, look at the average rating of their recruits, that's why they have been elite

2018 - 93.4 average
2017 - 92 average
2016 - 90.3 average

True that’s the best indicator of what you can shoot for, over 90.0 every year should be the standard. We had 90.99 last year , need to add to that with a 90.00 plus this year

I don’t see us being at Clemson’s level as an overall team yet

Was it the 58-0 beat down (could have been 100) or the 38-3 embarrassment (38-0 going into the 4th) that brought you to this conclusion? Either way, good insight. (Disregard my sarcasm. I'm just having a bad day)

Was it the 58-0 beat down (could have been 100) or the 38-3 embarrassment (38-0 going into the 4th) that brought you to this conclusion? Either way, good insight. (Disregard my sarcasm. I'm just having a bad day)
They do it against other elite teams too, see 2017 playoff game vs Ohio stats 31-0

Advertisement
Overrated OSU team, motivated Clemson. We were just outclassed in every facet.
Agree, the gap still isn’t that wide though in terms of talent. A lot of teams put up better fights than we did and don’t have near the amount of talent we have. Just was a bad day for us..
**** clemson lose to teams to pitt in 2016 and Syracuse in 2017. Blown out by bama but the gap imo isn’t wide at all for them vs bama either. It happens

Advertisement
Get better on third down. Score more TDs in the redzone (and less FGs). Score more off the many TO's we create.
That will be the recipe for making it to Charlotte undefeated.

But as we have seen time & time again there are many good teams that lose regular season games. Including every Champion in the Playoff era so far.
Nothing comes easy.

We were much closer to 8 wins than undefeated last year.

Exactly. I watched some of the re-air of the FSU game yesterday and was thinking how we’re a solid team but nothin special. 10 wins and a coastal title was a great year last year. We won some game we shouldn’t have and we loss some game we should have won. We needed up about where we are as a program. Solid top 15 team. We still have a ways to go till we are an elite top 5 in the country team.

2018 - 93.4 average (ELITE)
2017 - 92 average
2016 - 90.3 average

What Clemson does best is keep players after their junior season. It's why they usually don't need huge recruiting classes.

Advertisement
Back