Walton and the draft

Walton would fit well in Baltimore, Philly, Arizona, Indy, Tampa Bay, New England where him and Berrios could be Teammates again, and a few other teams I'm sure I am missing. Those are just a few that stuck out to menin which he could be in line for touches from Day 1.

Advertisement
Draftniks:
I know he has a kid but since this year's a bust, should he return for '18?
I had him figured for a second or third round pick. Now, I'm guessing, that would be a stretch...
Any comparable situations you recall?

He's leaving. Most teams have him with a 2nd & 3rd round grade now and he won't move up because it's his measurables that is holding him from going higher. Teams know he's well-rounded and there is nothing he can do next year that will improve his draft stock.

Did you see his draft report from the NFL?

Use to work for an NFL team. Still have friends in the league.

I love Walton. Heart of True a Cane.

But, some of you guys are nucking futs.

These NFL teams have 53 roster spots, they need 22 starters alone to take their first snap. Add in a punter and a kicker and they are left with one or no backups at certain spots.

It takes a **** of a lot more than a good showing against NC State to be a top 3 round draft pick. At this point Duke and Lamar were better prospects and they went 3rd and 4th round, respectively. Walton is a far better human being, but Dalvin ****bag fell to the 2nd round.

Mark needed THIS season to make his way into their company. Period. It's not a discussion.

And he's getting screws in his ankle tomorrow, so forget about the combine and pro day. Whatever his numbers are, they won't be his peak potential.

I'm not saying that he still shouldn't consider the NFL as an option, but for once a University of Miami football player needs to be extra certain they follow good advice regarding this decision.

These NFL teams have 53 roster spots, they need 22 starters alone to take their first snap. Add in a punter and a kicker and they are left with one or no backups at certain spots.

It takes a **** of a lot more than a good showing against NC State to be a top 3 round draft pick. At this point Duke and Lamar were better prospects and they went 3rd and 4th round, respectively. Walton is a far better human being, but Dalvin ****bag fell to the 2nd round.

Mark needed THIS season to make his way into their company. Period. It's not a discussion.

And he's getting screws in his ankle tomorrow, so forget about the combine and pro day. Whatever his numbers are, they won't be his peak potential.

I'm not saying that he still shouldn't consider the NFL as an option, but for once a University of Miami football player needs to be extra certain they follow good advice regarding this decision.

Great post. Close this thread up.

I agree, I don't think he will have an option. He hasn't shown enough now coming back from an injury I would surprised if he was even drafted. My heart goes out for this kid.

Advertisement
Walton reminds me of Duke. Complete, competitive football players and bouncy athletes who lack ideal size and long speed.

If you go back and look at the knocks on Duke, they are very similar to what we're hearing on Walton. Duke also broke his ankle against FSU and came back quicker than ever. He ended up as a 3rd round pick and is succeeding despite a terrible offense. I expect similar all-around performance from Walton, if healthy.
Duke came back, Walton should as well.

Your argument about roster size cuts to Walton's benefit. Aside from Barkley, he's the most versatile back in the country. He is also an excellent special teams player.

Miller only went in the 4th round because of bad medicals on his shoulder. He was previously projected in the second, which (given the size of his second contract) was the correct projection.

Duke is the best comparison for Walton in terms of expected production and draft stock, assuming he comes back 100% (like Duke did). Walton is the perfect back for a pass-first team.

I upvoted your post because of the bolded and I think even a top version of Walton isn't a great value pick in R2 as has been tossed around by some. Take a look at the data, show me guys with Walton's projected peak testing numbers (which may not even be possible now because of injury) and maybe we can see a reference point. The ones I see are closer to R4-R5. Here are guys whose roles he'd have to fit:

Andre Ellington
Bilal Powell
The RB version of Duke, though I think he had more perceived upside to an NFL team.
Damien Williams
Gio Bernard, who I think also had more perceived upside when he came out.

He may be "better" than some of those players, but it's the role he'll likely have to fit. And, if you're an NFL team, do you take that too early without elite physical traits?

Last edited:
It's not Walton's "measureables" that are keeping him out of the top 4 rounds, it's his lack of production against anybody good. It's not a Kareem Hunt situation where he played in a mid major conference and never had the chance to show out against top level teams. Walton's played against a bunch of big time schools and save for a called back long run against FSU in 2016, he hasn't done much. This year was his chance to show he is an NFL quality back. Unfortunately, the injury ends that discussion.

If he's absolutely desperate, then he should apply for the draft. He'll get picked. It's not a Joe Yearby situation. Walton is far more versatile and does all the things a backup running back needs to do to keep a roster spot. He's great on special teams, he can catch the ball out of the backfield really well and he can help out in pass protection. If he waits another year, he could improve his draft stock enough to be considered a RB1 type. Maybe not a first round pick but teams draft potential starting running backs in the second or third. Anything after that, you're solely being considered for a backup position.

Advertisement
I upvoted your post because of the bolded and I think even a top version of Walton isn't a great value pick in R2 as has been tossed around by some. Take a look at the data, show me guys with Walton's projected peak testing numbers (which may not even be possible now because of injury) and maybe we can see a reference point. The ones I see are closer to R4-R5.

I only went back to 2014, but these are some Day 2 picks with similar measurables to what I expect from Walton:

Duke Johnson
- 5’9, 207- 4.54
Ameer Abdullah- 5’9, 205- 4.60
Kareem Hunt- 5’10, 216- 4.62
Tre Mason- 5'8, 207- 4.50
Bishop Sankey- 5'9, 209- 4.49

Don't know how Walton's other numbers stack up (shuttle, VJ), but I've heard from defensive players that he's the best pure athlete on the team.

In 3 of the past 4 years, there were 8 RBs picked in the first three rounds. The big issue Walton is facing is that it's an exceptionally deep group of RBs. That, coupled with the injury, could push him down if a few guys go pro. But I think in the normal course of business he is a Day 2 player.

Duke is the best comparison for Walton in terms of expected production and draft stock, assuming he comes back 100% (like Duke did). Walton is the perfect back for a pass-first team.

I don't see that, personally. Duke is a more fluid pass catcher and is more explosive in space.

I think Walton is a tougher, grittier runner. More versatile. Reminds me more of Ameer Abdullah, off the top of my head.

Great post. Close this thread up.

Kareem Hunt was a rd 3 pick and played at Toledo. What good teams did he play?

The whole 'what did he do against good teams' narrative you 2 are using is irrelevant.

I upvoted your post because of the bolded and I think even a top version of Walton isn't a great value pick in R2 as has been tossed around by some. Take a look at the data, show me guys with Walton's projected peak testing numbers (which may not even be possible now because of injury) and maybe we can see a reference point. The ones I see are closer to R4-R5.

I only went back to 2014, but these are some Day 2 picks with similar measurables to what I expect from Walton:

Duke Johnson
- 5’9, 207- 4.54
Ameer Abdullah- 5’9, 205- 4.60
Kareem Hunt- 5’10, 216- 4.62
Tre Mason- 5'8, 207- 4.50
Bishop Sankey- 5'9, 209- 4.49

Don't know how Walton's other numbers stack up (shuttle, VJ), but I've heard from defensive players that he's the best pure athlete on the team.

In 3 of the past 4 years, there were 8 RBs picked in the first three rounds. The big issue Walton is facing is that it's an exceptionally deep group of RBs. That, coupled with the injury, could push him down if a few guys go pro. But I think in the normal course of business he is a Day 2 player.
Kareem Hunt is not a good physical comparable. Totally different frame.

Almost all of the rest support my point. You listed 3 disappointments (in terms of value) and Duke, who is just now (in his 3rd year) finding his way. I wouldn't be surprised if, even fully healthy, he were drafted in late R3, but my point to you off the board and now here has consistently been I think he's the type of value I seek in draftees closer to R4-R5. Had the Lions taken Abdullah, who is actually a better comparable, in R4, their fans wouldn't be as letdown as they've expressed.

Advertisement
Tell me Yearby is Kicking himself in the ***. I know he had a baby and wanted to provide for his family but it was bad advice he got.
He'd be sharing carries right now with Homer

I would come back personally. He has not had a breakout season. Last year he was ok, but not spectacular, especially in big games. Come back, show scouts you are 100% the back they thought you were, and make your millions. Don’t want to join Yearby managing the local Dairy Queen.

It's not Walton's "measureables" that are keeping him out of the top 4 rounds, it's his lack of production against anybody good.

NC State (7th rush defense in the country)- 19 carries, 120 yards, 3 TDs
Pittsburgh (17th rush defense in the country)- 14 carries, 125 yards, 1 TD

I don't think production will be his issue. He has proven to be an excellent college back. The questions are (1) the injury; and (2) the unusual depth of the RB class.

My take is he's a Day 2 player without those issues. He still can go that high if his recovery moves quickly. Anything lower than the 4th would be robbery IMO.

Todd Gurley tore his ACL in the 6th game of the season of his Jr. year and he still was taken #10 in the 1st round

Draftniks:
I know he has a kid but since this year's a bust, should he return for '18?
I had him figured for a second or third round pick. Now, I'm guessing, that would be a stretch...
Any comparable situations you recall?

Advertisement
Almost all of the rest support my point. You listed 3 disappointments (in terms of value) and Duke, who is just now (in his 3rd year) finding his way.

We're talking about draft position. That's why I focused on guys drafted on Day 1 or Day 2 since 2014.

If we're talking about value in the league, the obvious name (which we've discussed) is:

Devonta Freeman- 5'8, 206 lbs, 4.58

And since others have mentioned production, Freeman only rushed for 100+ yards against three teams as a junior: Nevada, Bethune and Idaho. Here is how he fared against the top teams:

Florida- 13, 44 yards
Miami- 23 carries, 78 yards
Clemson- 21 carries, 84 yards
Auburn- 11 carries, 73 yards

Freeman is now the highest paid back in league history. I don't think Walton will get to that level as a runner, but I expect him to perform in the league like most Dade County backs do.

Almost all of the rest support my point. You listed 3 disappointments (in terms of value) and Duke, who is just now (in his 3rd year) finding his way.

We're talking about draft position. That's why I focused on guys drafted on Day 1 or Day 2 since 2014.

If we're talking about value in the league, the obvious name (which we've discussed) is:

Devonta Freeman- 5'8, 206 lbs, 4.58

And since others have mentioned production, Freeman only rushed for 100+ yards against three teams as a junior: Nevada, Bethune and Idaho. Here is how he fared against the top teams:

Florida- 13, 44 yards
Miami- 23 carries, 78 yards
Clemson- 21 carries, 84 yards
Auburn- 11 carries, 73 yards

Freeman is now the highest paid back in league history. I don't think Walton will get to that level as a runner, but I expect him to perform in the league like most Dade County backs do.
I understand what we're talking about and have focused all my comments on Walton's potential value as an R2ish Rback and where I, as a fictitious GM, would take him (if fully healthy).

I offered up the Freeman comparison off the board as the very best version of what I believe Walton could offer an NFL team. Doesn't make it the most likely or even close. I don't think it's a negative thing to say I believe a healthy Walton has a role in the league and decent value depending on where he's taken in the draft.

Your previous list, sans Kareem Hunt who isn't really like Walton at all, is actually right in line with what I imagine of him in the NFL.

I actually think Miami's offense will be better with Homer as the #1 back. That's not anything against Walton, I'm just a big fan of Homer's game.

So most of you guys believe he is going 2nd or 3rd round?

I would think that pre injury. Now I think he could fall.

Advertisement
Back