Walton and the draft

Walton is better than Yearby and will make an NFL roster. He will probably start out as a 2nd string / 3rd down back for someone. It really comes down to his combine #'s and how quickly he heals from surgery. He won't get all the carries next year like he was getting this season. Lingard is too good not to play and has the home run speed to match. If Homer balls out then he's going to require more carries. There's to many ifs right now to make that decision. Yearby ran a 5. something 40. Mark is definitely faster than that. A difference of running a 4.6 vs. a 4.7 is getting drafted. If he can run a low 4.6 40 or faster he should go pro.

Advertisement
I know the NFL drafts on potential and measurables, but Walton has never had a big game against a quality opponent in his college career. If I was an NFL scout, that would concern me.

NC State. And he was a non-impactful holding call away from having an all-time run against FSU last year.

I know the NFL drafts on potential and measurables, but Walton has never had a big game against a quality opponent in his college career. If I was an NFL scout, that would concern me.

NC State. And he was a non-impactful holding call away from having an all-time run against FSU last year.

Not sure a 6-6 team and a should have, could have is enough for this conversation.

NC State was 7-6 (3-5). That's not a quality opponent. If that's his resume, a big game against a mediocre NC State squad, and a big run against FSU that didn't count, it's worse than I thought.

He'll be healthy enough to work out for UM's Pro-Day and/or the NFL combine. He'll get a reasonably accurate assessment of his draft position.

Taking a blind guess (keeping in mind Im far from a draft guru)... I think Walton goes in the 4th or 5th round in next year's draft. If he comes back and plays at UM in 2018, he'll likely be a 3rd round pick in the 2019 draft.

The risk-reward calculation doesn't pencil out enough for him to come back IMO.

Advertisement
To me it depends on his recovery time. If he can a full offseason in and participate in combine or pro day, he should go pro. He has enough tape if he's healthy and has solid workout numbers he'll get drafted pretty close to where he deserves to go, probably between 2nd - 4th round. If he isn't healthy in time, I think that's when you worry about falling into the late rounds or even being undrafted just because of the uncertainty.

Anyone telling him to come back is being extremely selfish. Kid needs to go feed the fam, he's earned it.

A player should always do whats in his own best interest as far as going Pro.

Make the best decision for you and your family.....not the best decision for the fans.

They don't pay the bills

Did Andy Reid care about what Kareem Hunt did against quality opponents? Or, did he look at his skillset as a great fit for his team and draft him anyway?

Walton has skills that teams will want. He will get drafted. Whether that's next draft or the one after we'll have to wait and see.

Advertisement
Draftniks:
I know he has a kid but since this year's a bust, should he return for '18?
I had him figured for a second or third round pick. Now, I'm guessing, that would be a stretch...
Any comparable situations you recall?

He's leaving. Most teams have him with a 2nd & 3rd round grade now and he won't move up because it's his measurables that is holding him from going higher. Teams know he's well-rounded and there is nothing he can do next year that will improve his draft stock.

Did you see his draft report from the NFL?

Walton doesn't have the measureables for a top 2 round pick injury or not, and that is not going to change if he comes back (won't get taller or faster at this point). IF he thinks he can sneak into rounds 3 or 4 coming off injury he might as well go this year.

Is my guess.

If I don't absolutely need the money, I would come back and get the degree done and try and have another good year, but my circumstances and needs don't mirror his.

Emmitt Smith 5′9″ 210 lbs
Walter Payton 5′10″ 200 lbs
Barry Sanders 5′8″ 200 lbs
Curtis Martin 5′11″ 210 lbs
Ladanian Tomlinson 5′10″ 215 lbs

cool list. barely relevant to my post outside of their position played.

They all have basically the same measureables, no?

Okay, not worth engaging I see.

He does have the weight and build to be highly drafted.

Which is the exact opposite of what you posted.

Short money view aka The Yearby Approach: Go get that paper, G! Get p-a-I-d! You got a kid that hasn't eaten since he was born, so you gotta leave right this minute to avoid starvation.

Big money approach: Blow up next year. Show what you were about to show this year before the injury stopped you from showing it. Get drafted higher, and make some real money.

Then he gets hurt year two or comes back two steps slow like Chubb at uga

Part of the reason why I don't think Walton Jr. will be back is because Lorenzo Lingard is so **** good, he might be better than Walton Jr. from day 1.

Advertisement
Whether or not it's ultimately in Walton's best interest to come back or not, any comparison to Yearby is a bad one. Walton is a complete back, and a top of the roster football player. Both things that Yearby never became. He wouldn't drop past the 5th IMHO. But coming back may push him far higher up draft boards.

Go pro. Running backs have such a short shelf life he should start making money ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Did Andy Reid care about what Kareem Hunt did against quality opponents? Or, did he look at his skillset as a great fit for his team and draft him anyway?

Walton has skills that teams will want. He will get drafted. Whether that's next draft or the one after we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think Kareem Hunt played any quality opponents when he was on Toledo.

I don't think Kareem Hunt played any quality opponents when he was on Toledo.

I guess NFL scouts and Andy Reid weren't concerned then.

Advertisement
Back