Walton and the draft

I know the NFL drafts on potential and measurables, but Walton has never had a big game against a quality opponent in his college career. If I was an NFL scout, that would concern me.

NC State. And he was a non-impactful holding call away from having an all-time run against FSU last year.

NC State was 7-6 (3-5). That's not a quality opponent. If that's his resume, a big game against a mediocre NC State squad, and a big run against FSU that didn't count, it's worse than I thought.

Walton has averaged 3.5 ypc or less in 16 of the 22 games he played against Power 5 teams.

The 6 teams he did it against were Duke (twice), UVA (twice), Pitt & NC St. It's not good.

That production matched with a 5'9" 205 size and 4.6 speed, and it's going to be an uphill battle getting drafted. Healthy or not, I always thought Walton was a late round draft pick at best, and less likely to actually make an NFL team.

BUT - I think his best chance to go is now while his reputation is still high.

Advertisement
NC State was 7-6 (3-5). That's not a quality opponent. If that's his resume, a big game against a mediocre NC State squad, and a big run against FSU that didn't count, it's worse than I thought.

NC State was one of the Top 5 rushing defenses in the country. They have multiple NFL players on their front. Their team record is irrelevant to this discussion.

Walton struggled running as a freshman, which is reflected in his YPC. Since then, he's been lights out. He can catch, pass protect and score in the RZ, which makes him an ideal fit on a pass-heavy offense.

Here is what a former scout recently wrote about him. If no injury concerns, he's an easy Day 2 pick IMO.

Prior to the start of the season, some of us in the media dubbed 2017 as the "Year of the QB". In hindsight, maybe we should've labeled the 2017 campaign as the "Year of the RB". Penn State running back Saquon Barkley is the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy and Stanford's Bryce Love, whom my podcast partner Bucky Brooks wrote about at the top of this notebook, isn't far behind on most lists. Here's one running back deserving more attention: Miami's Mark Walton.

Walton isn't a big back (listed at 5-foot-9, 205 pounds) but he has outstanding vision, instincts and balance. He is ultra quick in short areas and he's also a capable receiver out of the backfield. He doesn't have Love's home-run speed but he hits a lot of doubles and triples. The Hurricanes are off to a hot start (3-0) and Walton will be instrumental in the gameplan against rival FSU on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes out on top when he meets Seminoles stud safety Derwin James in the hole. -- Daniel Jeremiah

MTS notebook: Scouting Stanford breakout star Bryce Love - NFL.com

Anyway you look this, it was a tough break for the kid. Coming back fora 4th year of wear and tear should be avoided if the upside is not there. How great are backs the year after season ending surgery? If he has to spend the year trying to "regain" his form what good did it do? He has nice skill set for teams that want versatile backs but those are not drafted very high. Stay or go, Saturday reduced his chances. It is important to go as high as possible just because teams hesitate cutting a higher draft pick so you get more time. low picks and FAs are practice bodies until further notice.

Walton reminds me of Duke. Complete, competitive football players and bouncy athletes who lack ideal size and long speed.

If you go back and look at the knocks on Duke, they are very similar to what we're hearing on Walton. Duke also broke his ankle against FSU and came back quicker than ever. He ended up as a 3rd round pick and is succeeding despite a terrible offense. I expect similar all-around performance from Walton, if healthy.

Bro I want the young brother to get paid but **** you only get 2 contracts in league if you're lucky that first one gotta pay something decent or you're cheating yourself.

Also he's gotta be able to run at the combines if he wants to be drafted and i don't think he'll be recovered totally to put on a show at the combines don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get healthy don't rush back run like a man possessed next year on the way to the playoffs.

And boost that stock with a banging *** combine.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Walton's rushing per year and competition...

Non-ACC opponents...3.63 ypr...6 TDs
ACC opponents...3.39 ypr...3 TDs

Non-ACC opponents...6.97 ypr...7 TDs
ACC opponents...4.61 ypr...7 TDs

Non-ACC opponents...13.04 ypr...3 TDs
ACC opponents...2.62 ypr...0 TDs

Career totals...

Non-ACC opponents...6.86 ypr...16 TDs
ACC opponents...4.01 ypr...10 TDs

Walton doesn't have the measureables for a top 2 round pick injury or not, and that is not going to change if he comes back (won't get taller or faster at this point). IF he thinks he can sneak into rounds 3 or 4 coming off injury he might as well go this year.

Is my guess.

If I don't absolutely need the money, I would come back and get the degree done and try and have another good year, but my circumstances and needs don't mirror his.

Or play for a legitimate national championship contender. We lose Berrios, McDermott and Darling on offense and we are deep next year. If Norton and McIntosh stay then we only lose Thomas and Delaney on defense. If one of two stay, then you have Willis back with man child (Ford) and Bethel moving into the starting role. Who do you lose as a back up? Moten. We lose almost nobody with a stacked 2018 class rolling in.

I think it depends on how he recovers from the ankle injury..depending on how minor or major it is when they get in there and how long the rehab period is will have a lot to do with his choice .

If he’s not going in the top 3 rounds he needs to make sure he gets that degree.

Advertisement
Walton reminds me of Duke. Complete, competitive football players and bouncy athletes who lack ideal size and long speed.

If you go back and look at the knocks on Duke, they are very similar to what we're hearing on Walton. Duke also broke his ankle against FSU and came back quicker than ever. He ended up as a 3rd round pick and is succeeding despite a terrible offense. I expect similar all-around performance from Walton, if healthy.

Ouch. You really think so DMoney? I respect your opinion, but Walton was nowhere near as productive as Duke in either High School or College. Plus Duke was so much better as a Special Teams player.

I get the size comparison, but Duke's speed and production were on a completely different level.

NC State was one of the Top 5 rushing defenses in the country. They have multiple NFL players on their front. Their team record is irrelevant to this discussion.

Walton struggled running as a freshman, which is reflected in his YPC. Since then, he's been lights out. He can catch, pass protect and score in the RZ, which makes him an ideal fit on a pass-heavy offense.

Here is what a former scout recently wrote about him. If no injury concerns, he's an easy Day 2 pick IMO.

Prior to the start of the season, some of us in the media dubbed 2017 as the "Year of the QB". In hindsight, maybe we should've labeled the 2017 campaign as the "Year of the RB". Penn State running back Saquon Barkley is the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy and Stanford's Bryce Love, whom my podcast partner Bucky Brooks wrote about at the top of this notebook, isn't far behind on most lists. Here's one running back deserving more attention: Miami's Mark Walton.

Walton isn't a big back (listed at 5-foot-9, 205 pounds) but he has outstanding vision, instincts and balance. He is ultra quick in short areas and he's also a capable receiver out of the backfield. He doesn't have Love's home-run speed but he hits a lot of doubles and triples. The Hurricanes are off to a hot start (3-0) and Walton will be instrumental in the gameplan against rival FSU on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes out on top when he meets Seminoles stud safety Derwin James in the hole. -- Daniel Jeremiah

NC State did have a pretty good rush defense last year, so I accept your point, that was a strong game. He also disappeared in several games last year, and this year was obviously a bust. Last year he went through a 5 games stretch with no 100 yard rushing games and averaged 2.9, 2.8, 3.4, 3.5, and 2.5 ypc. Throw in a poor bowl game performance and you have a guy that was mediocre for half the season. Far from lights out.

I'm good with whatever decision he makes, if he can get paid I'd take it. If not going in the first 4 rounds I'd stay, let's see how he heals up. Would love to see him back, but do what's best for him.

Do we even know the extent of the injury?

If it is something that won't scare teams away and he is healthy enough to run at the combine, then he should go. Even with a small sample size this year, he showed improved shiftiness with that jump cut and a high football IQ. Pair those with a solid 40 time and I think he is a mid round pick.

If he can't run, I don't know that he was THAT good for a team to take a total flier on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Bro I want the young brother to get paid but **** you only get 2 contracts in league if you're lucky that first one gotta pay something decent or you're cheating yourself.

Also he's gotta be able to run at the combines if he wants to be drafted and i don't think he'll be recovered totally to put on a show at the combines don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get healthy don't rush back run like a man possessed next year on the way to the playoffs.

And boost that stock with a banging *** combine.

Yup I agree with this. Ankles can be tough. If he decides to come back he'd be stronger and be playing against younger players. I think that does matter. Hopefully our offensive line will be better next year to help him out. Just a thought though, if he's happy with what he can get take it. .

Ouch. You really think so DMoney? I respect your opinion, but Walton was nowhere near as productive as Duke in either High School or College. Plus Duke was so much better as a Special Teams player.

I get the size comparison, but Duke's speed and production were on a completely different level.

I think Walton is a much better special teams player to be honest, being a return guy like Duke is great and all but with the rules now and how teams kick it's not as beneficial as it used to be as a return man. Walton is on every coverage team it seems and is really good at being a gunner and keeping his lane.

His attributes though are what will get him drafted between 3-5, he has exceptional balance, fights through contact well, has good hands for a back, and is very strong in pass pro. His size is a benefit too, he'd be a great fit in a zone scheme like Buffalo.

Advertisement

NC State did have a pretty good rush defense last year, so I accept your point, that was a strong game. He also disappeared in several games last year, and this year was obviously a bust. Last year he went through a 5 games stretch with no 100 yard rushing games and averaged 2.9, 2.8, 3.4, 3.5, and 2.5 ypc. Throw in a poor bowl game performance and you have a guy that was mediocre for half the season. Far from lights out.

I totally agree with you.

Those low ypc game were vs. GT, FSU, UNC, VT, ND, WVU. Yearby led us in rushing vs. GT, FSU & VT despite having less carries.

A good game vs. NC St. doesn't make up for poor games against those teams.

I just love how people say, "get paid." Unless you're a spectacular talent with a body of work to back it up, a RB coming back off of injury faces a very tough proposition.

If he is given any grade which places him outside round 4 (where Lamar Miller went), he should return, 100%.

Beyond that, teams don't have enough invested in you to give you a real look, especially if you aren't 100%, which he won't be by April. If they're taking you in round 5, 6, UFA, etc. they already have 2 or 3 guys they like better ahead of you, but that's in addition to whoever they have as the #1 guy.

Teams that "need" a RB draft them higher, but very seldom are they guys coming off a major injury.

For the, "get that money" crowd, look at the history and earnings of 5th or 6th round RBs in particular. It's not pretty.

Joe Yearby, I am still shaking my head.

+Rep

What would you do? How did it work out for Kaaya, Yearby?
I think it's a tough call but if he comes back healthy and has a good maybe great year, that has to result in $$$.

Depthwise, imagine this in 2018:
Walton
Homer
Lingard
Gray
Davis
Burns
...And Dallas back to wr fulltime.

Advertisement
Back