Walton and the draft

Draftniks:
I know he has a kid but since this year's a bust, should he return for '18?
I had him figured for a second or third round pick. Now, I'm guessing, that would be a stretch...
Any comparable situations you recall?

He'd be risking another injury next year and completely ruining his value. Go get the money. He put on for the U.

That depends. Is he a top 3 round guy? then yes leave . If not come back because the 4th round can easily become the 6th and then you ain't making much relatively.

Agreed, but as said on the podcast, get to that second contract. RB only have so many miles.

Advertisement
If he’s a guaranteed top 4 round pick then go but if not he might should come back tbh

I just love how people say, "get paid." Unless you're a spectacular talent with a body of work to back it up, a RB coming back off of injury faces a very tough proposition.

If he is given any grade which places him outside round 4 (where Lamar Miller went), he should return, 100%.

Beyond that, teams don't have enough invested in you to give you a real look, especially if you aren't 100%, which he won't be by April. If they're taking you in round 5, 6, UFA, etc. they already have 2 or 3 guys they like better ahead of you, but that's in addition to whoever they have as the #1 guy.

Teams that "need" a RB draft them higher, but very seldom are they guys coming off a major injury.

For the, "get that money" crowd, look at the history and earnings of 5th or 6th round RBs in particular. It's not pretty.

Joe Yearby, I am still shaking my head.

Last edited:
With his intangibles 3rd seems about the latest with a good rehab. He has the mind frame that is desired.

Short money view aka The Yearby Approach: Go get that paper, G! Get p-a-I-d! You got a kid that hasn't eaten since he was born, so you gotta leave right this minute to avoid starvation.

Big money approach: Blow up next year. Show what you were about to show this year before the injury stopped you from showing it. Get drafted higher, and make some real money.

Advertisement
If he gets a high draft grade while going through the process to declare, he's gone.

But on the flip side, Yearby didn't have favorable scouting reports and still declared anyway. I'm guessing his recovery is pretty pivotal towards his decision.

The Yearby comparison is not a good one. Walton is known as the best back in the ACC this year. Yearby never had that type of hype.

Stacey Coley came back last year to have a "huge year", but just had a good year, and went in the 7th. I'm sure he could've gone in the 7th after his JR year.

Thoughts of having a "huge year" are great, but don't always happen. Walton was supposed to have a huge year this year and is now in this situation.

Too much risk by coming back. Go pro.

Advertisement
2018 Draft is fairly weak for backs, you got barkley who will go top 5 overall, then a cluster of backs that Mark slots in well with (Chubb Michel Guise Love and the 2 bama backs off the top of my head)

Walton doesn't have the measureables for a top 2 round pick injury or not, and that is not going to change if he comes back (won't get taller or faster at this point). IF he thinks he can sneak into rounds 3 or 4 coming off injury he might as well go this year.

Is my guess.

If I don't absolutely need the money, I would come back and get the degree done and try and have another good year, but my circumstances and needs don't mirror his.

Emmitt Smith 5′9″ 210 lbs
Walter Payton 5′10″ 200 lbs
Barry Sanders 5′8″ 200 lbs
Curtis Martin 5′11″ 210 lbs
Ladanian Tomlinson 5′10″ 215 lbs
Completely missed the point he made

I know the NFL drafts on potential and measurables, but Walton has never had a big game against a quality opponent in his college career. If I was an NFL scout, that would concern me.

Walton doesn't have the measureables for a top 2 round pick injury or not, and that is not going to change if he comes back (won't get taller or faster at this point). IF he thinks he can sneak into rounds 3 or 4 coming off injury he might as well go this year.

Is my guess.

If I don't absolutely need the money, I would come back and get the degree done and try and have another good year, but my circumstances and needs don't mirror his.

cool list. barely relevant to my post outside of their position played.

Advertisement
Chubb didn’t have a choice so bad comparison. He had to prove he could walk again before anyone would ever take a look at him. His legs are shakier than Michael J Fox serving tea at a tea party. Typically an ankle doesn’t have such possibly career ending repercussions.

Is my guess.

They all have basically the same measureables, no?

Advertisement
Draftniks:
I know he has a kid but since this year's a bust, should he return for '18?
I had him figured for a second or third round pick. Now, I'm guessing, that would be a stretch...
Any comparable situations you recall?

He'd be risking another injury next year and completely ruining his value. Go get the money. He put on for the U.

Insurance.

Yep, should come back with a school paid insurance policy (believe that's still allowable correct?). That way he will go higher and get more guaranteed money. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him declare.

He should tell the doc to give him some of that cortazone **** and get back out on the field

OK Bud Kilmer...

tumblr_npfztoHBtA1uvuuu9o2_1280.jpg

Running backs who can make a team should always go pro as early as possible without regard to draft status.

Is my guess.

They all have basically the same measureables, no?

Okay, not worth engaging I see.

Advertisement
Back