USC and UCLA to B1G

Time for AD Rad to get on the phone with his old boss James Clements to setup the east coast package for the B1G. Add UNC and Virginia and you get to 20.

Advertisement
If B1G expands more, will be from this list

15137F44-0605-4A2C-932D-AE4091F1B941.png

Advertisement
Advertisement

Another reason y it would make sense to join the B1G. We’re more in line w/ rivalries there than our own **** conference! The only rivalry we had w/in the ACC was FSU. If it wasn’t for VT coming on board, we would’ve had chit in common w/ the ACC besides FSU. We’ve battled OSU, Nebraska, PSU, Wisconsin for goodness sake!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Agreed. I think it’s a different conversation now….

It is. On top of which, they'd do a deal with Miami where we apply for AAU membership.

The Big 10 would loooooooove to get into Florida. The State of Florida has exactly ONE AAU institution, and they'll never leave the SEC-SEC-SEC.

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I read some of the dumbest, least-informed opinions on "conference expansion" threads. And I'm not singling anyone out.

Clearly, these conference expansions are about TV revenue. 75% football TV revenue, 25% basketball TV revenue. It's no longer about "academics" or "who won the most games last year".

It's about demographics. It's about TV markets. It doesn't matter if "Boise State" won a NY6 bowl game, they are NEVER going to get a P5 invitation. So we get the same dopey posts about the same dopey teams.

The situation is simple. Either the ACC gets bigger or the ACC gets poached. There's not a goddamned school that is leaving the SEC or the Big 10 for the ACC.

So there are only two possible answers for the ACC to get bigger.

1. Bigger ACC eastern footprint
---You MUST add Notre Dame
---You pretty much have to add UCF, USF, and Cincy
---You also add Memphis and West Virginia, but ONLY if Notre Dame comes in
*** 20-team conference, with Florida markets locked down, and you wedge your way into the Chicago TV market, plus Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, and WV
*** 4 pods of 5 teams, you play your pod (4 games) plus one other pod (5 games) on a 3-year rotation, doing home-and-homes every 6 years

2. The American Coastal Conference
---You add NOTRE DAME, plus the 10 remaining Pac 12 teams and create an all-day, all-time-zones cable channel(s) to air games
*** 25-team conference
*** 5 pods of 5 teams (2 old Pac 12, 3 old ACC), you play your pod (4 games) plus one other pod (5 games) on a 4-year rotation, doing home-and-homes every 8 years

Interesting….

Any team can do what they what but it’s gonna be costly to break that contract. However, by getting 3x the amount of TV rights by going to the Big10/SEC, the money to break the contract is reimburse in a couple of year, way less than to wait til 2036

Another reason y it would make sense to join the B1G. We’re more in line w/ rivalries there than our own **** conference! The only rivalry we had w/in the ACC was FSU. If it wasn’t for VT coming on board, we would’ve had chit in common w/ the ACC besides FSU. We’ve battled OSU, Nebraska, PSU, Wisconsin for goodness sake!
How many kids on the team were even born the last time we had a rivalry with Nebraska, OSU or PSU? The OSU championship game will be 20 years ago this year.

The big 10 might make sense for us for other reasons, but I think it's a stretch to rely on 20+ years ago rivalries.

Advertisement
Back