USC and UCLA to B1G

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Or like your scenario, they apply for membership

Do you know why they prefer their schools to be in it??

Because the "Big 10" was originally an ACADEMIC alliance. Back when there were "books" (we all remember those, right?), the "Big 10" was an alliance of academic institutions that shared library and research resources.

And the Big 10 was, for practical purposes, "second only to the Ivy League" when it came to academic reputation.

So, yes, the ORIGINAL requirement of AAU membership was a practical and academic one. And then it became a "cultural" requirement, even as the Big 10 became known as more of a SPORTS LEAGUE than an academic alliance.

But with the long pursuit of Notre Dame...if and when it happens...it will become obvious that "AAU membership" is more of a "want" than a "need".

The smaller schools need that money. You smell the Litigation and the Billable Hours from here.

This is where Congress gets involved. Sorry kids. This is too big for the NCAA. Too many schools' programs are going to get hurt because the Big Schools with the Bag Programs (that includes us since the beginning of this year) are going to do what is in their Rational Self-interest and realign.

The Vandys of this world are going to get screwed. What people don't realize here is that the Vandys of this world have paid lobbyists in Washington. I guarantee that Congress steps in at some point.

Vanderbilt is literally the smallest, most non-deserving school that ISN'T going to get screwed!

Advertisement
Just noticed Nebraska was kicked out right before joining B1G

Yup. And everyone said "yeah, but that's just a technicality", so maybe it was forgivable back then.

I'm serious, if you go back 3 boards ago (Grassy/CaneSport) I was calling for UM to apply for AAU membership 20 years ago. ****, I started at UM in 1986, right after Florida got into the AAU, and my high school friends (who went to UF) tried to give me grief for it.

Shalala (even though the right-wing nutjobs are going to obsess on her politics) had the academic gravitas to get us into the AAU. Not sure what Shirtless Julio has done in this regard. Maybe he will belatedly get AAU Fever, just as he suddenly got "big league athletics" religion during the past year.

Another reason y it would make sense to join the B1G. We’re more in line w/ rivalries there than our own **** conference! The only rivalry we had w/in the ACC was FSU. If it wasn’t for VT coming on board, we would’ve had chit in common w/ the ACC besides FSU. We’ve battled OSU, Nebraska, PSU, Wisconsin for goodness sake!
Not sure we have battled Wisconsin. We did play them.

Advertisement
I can see it now: the ACC adds the four northern PAC 12 schools and immediately makes two of them our permanent rivals.
The ACC drops 'Atlantic' and adds all of the remaining Pac12 schools that are on the coast

Advertisement
Back