USC and UCLA to B1G

The ACC (16 teams) have an agreement with ESPN. A contract. If things get very dicey and it seems that the Miami's, Clemson's and FSU's of the world are trying to leave, you better believe that these scrub programs are going to hold on to that suddenly valuable contract with everything they have because not only will it be the last major contract they ever see, but they will be able to use it to keep us. Every school not offered by the SEC/Big 10 would vote to preserve it if there was a motion to accept an out from ESPN.

And Miami, Clemson and FSU can't leave without being released from the media grant of rights, which might be a nine figure problem or worse for each school.

Basically the rest of the ACC will not let go of us, nor will they agree to nullify the contract.

I get what you are saying, but unfortunately there has to be an orderly unwinding, and the order of things is what would prevent this.

Happy to be wrong, but as of today, logically, nah.

As you know, Espn owns both the ACC and SEC. The ACC espn deal is heavily, heavily tilted in Espns favor. SEC teams are getting a much larger cut than the acc teams. If all the acc teams had a chance of getting a better deal, I think they'd dump the conference. The key is finding every team in the acc a new home. If everyone has a seat in the game of musical chairs, there isn't much reason to keep the ACC intact and continue to miss out on tens of millions of dollars a year because of a bad TV contract. I don't think it is an impossible task to give everyone a new home.

Clemson, FSU, UNC, NC State, Louisville, VT, and GT go to the SEC.

UM, BC, Pitt, Wake, Virginia, Syracuse, Duke go the B1G.

Everyone has a chance to make a lot more money than they do with the current ACC deal . Disney would be thrilled to have the SEC superconference so I don't think they'd object.

Advertisement
Imagine UCLA having to play at Ohio State one week then at Maryland the next
I would think they'd give UCLA some home games.

But since you brought it up, they're not traveling by train. Once you load up a plane with equipment and all, how much different is a 2.5-hour flight from LAX to Seattle than a 4-hour flight to Chicago? An hour and a half is not incrementally much compared to the total time to prepare for road games.

Last edited:
The only conference that did not have a GOR is the SEC (I guess they have no concerns of schools opting out). How did Texas and Oklahoma get out of the Big12 GOR? How is USC and UCLA getting out of the Pac 12 GOR? Is the ACC GOR unusually onerous?
Texas and Oklahoma did not get out of the Big 12 GOR. Their TV contract runs through 2025. They are negotiating with the Big 12 for an earlier exit, but for now, they are staying in the Big 12 for a few more seasons.

The PAC 12 GOR runs out next season. The PAC 12 TV deal runs out after next year so they will be able to join the Big 10 in 2024 without paying a penalty at all.

Finally, the ACC GOR is onerous. It runs through 2035, which is more than likely the only reason why no one has left in the last couple of years.

The only conference that did not have a GOR is the SEC (I guess they have no concerns of schools opting out). How did Texas and Oklahoma get out of the Big12 GOR? How is USC and UCLA getting out of the Pac 12 GOR? Is the ACC GOR unusually onerous?
Their contracts are up within 2-3 years.. small amount compared to the ACC teams with a contract that’s ends in 2036

Advertisement
Just wondering, why does everyone think the Big 10 or SEC is going for major expansion to anywhere from 20 to 32 schools? At a certain point, they will find diminishing returns. The payouts to each school will begin to go down at some point.

Maybe the State of North Carolina says UNC can’t go without Duke.. I can see that as a possibility. I’m sure ND isn’t apart of the espn tv deal
Duke is a private school. If it's the state driving this, they would tie NC State and UNC at the hip. Similar to what the state of Va did to UVA to get Va Tech into the ACC.

Duke is a private school. If it's the state driving this, they would tie NC State and UNC at the hip. Similar to what the state of Va did to UVA to get Va Tech into the ACC.
Yeah that definitely makes sense on the political side.. but I don’t see NC State being desired enough to make a case for them

Advertisement
I’ve listened to a few podcast and it doesn’t seem like the rest of the country view Miami as a desired school. I don’t know if it’s a Miami bias or do they have a case due to us being horrible for 20 years and lack of fan support during home games… we don’t travel well either. I do believe if we enter a better conference we see more fan support due to better competition. Having Rad, , and Mario coming in at the time they did helps A LOT

I’ve listened to a few podcast and it doesn’t seem like the rest of the country view Miami as a desired school. I don’t know if it’s a Miami bias or do they have a case due to us being horrible for 20 years and lack of fan support during home games… we don’t travel well either. I do believe if we enter a better conference we see more fan support due to better competition. Having Rad, , and Mario coming in at the time they did helps A LOT
Notre dame hasn’t won a title since 88 yet everyone wants them. This is about tv revenue. There, Miami is king!

Advertisement

"...Instead of going deeper into the Pac-12, both the Big Ten and SEC could take aim at the best available programs elsewhere: Clemson, Florida State, Miami and the top tier of the ACC, along with Notre Dame..."

I could see the SEC trying to take UNC and NC State to open a TV market. I imagine that USCe and UF aren’t too open to the idea of taking Clemson and Miami/FSU.

The Big 10 wanted new markets. We need to try and make the move there with Clemson. Although the idea of our kids playing in winter games is not ideal lol

Advertisement

I don't give a ****e what idiot fans and idiot sportswriters say on podcasts, I only care about what decision makers at universities and TV networks say. And I guaran-*******-tee the important decision-makers view Miami as a desired school.

I love how some of you are acting like ND is the Holy Grail of football. "All the ACC needs to do is add ND," great the ACC has ND, Clemson, Miami, and a terrible FSU. Sure will compete against the SEC and Big10. Please...we need to leave this crap conference ASAP

There are legitimate reasons why Notre Dame is incredibly important.

First, ND choosing the ACC or the Big 10 would have a significant impact on whether the ACC has ongoing vitality. Second, ND is one of the only viable and AVAILABLE schools that would make a big impact, without having to go through "exit fees" and all of the other problems involved in poaching.

You don't have to like ND, but they are an incredibly relevant chess piece here.

I agree ND is going to be big. I’m thinking they will have to join a conference just from a scheduling standpoint. They will have a difficult time scheduling power schools as this expansion continues. They can join ACC and see if ACC is able to keep it a P3. Or, they can join Big Ten and then the P2 is upon us.

Advertisement
Back