USC and UCLA to B1G

Advertisement
Advertisement
As you know, Espn owns both the ACC and SEC. The ACC espn deal is heavily, heavily tilted in Espns favor. SEC teams are getting a much larger cut than the acc teams. If all the acc teams had a chance of getting a better deal, I think they'd dump the conference. The key is finding every team in the acc a new home. If everyone has a seat in the game of musical chairs, there isn't much reason to keep the ACC intact and continue to miss out on tens of millions of dollars a year because of a bad TV contract. I don't think it is an impossible task to give everyone a new home.

Clemson, FSU, UNC, NC State, Louisville, VT, and GT go to the SEC.

UM, BC, Pitt, Wake, Virginia, Syracuse, Duke go the B1G.

Everyone has a chance to make a lot more money than they do with the current ACC deal . Disney would be thrilled to have the SEC superconference so I don't think they'd object.

Lol all the ACC teams aren’t going to the Big 10/ SEC. There is going to be major collateral damage. The majority are going to get left out IMO. No one wants our dregs. Miami, FSU, Clemson, and UNC are the primary candidates. And I’m not even 1000% that were ok.

So all those teams that would be left out are going to try to keep the TV deal and the conference intact.

Advertisement
I wonder how the middle of the road schools in the B1G/SEC feel about all this? Are some of these schools going to be doormats all for the sake of money?

I wonder how the middle of the road schools in the B1G/SEC feel about all this? Are some of these schools going to be doormats all for the sake of money?
1656683683549.jpeg

Advertisement
Boy, did Rutgers hit the Powerball when they got to join the B1G. Talk about good/undeserved fortune.

True. But go back to the Big 10 Network deal, they get "enhanced" carriage fees any time they go into a new state.

Which is why Rutgers and Maryland got invitations.

Which is why USC/UCLA happened.

Which is why Washington/Oregon is happening.

And which is why FLORIDA generally, and Miami SPECIFICALLY, have a good shot of being next on-deck.

1. California - USC/UCLA - largest state (by population, in case that nutjob porster who thinks we are talking about square mileage is still around)
2. Texas - NOT HAPPENING, though UT would have been a great choice
3. Florida - University of Miami
4. New York - Syracuse in play, or did Rutgers "count"?
5. Pennsylvania - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
6. Illinois - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
7. Ohio - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
8. Georgia - GaTech, and makes academic sense
9. North Carolina - UNC (maaaaaybe Duke too?), and makes academic sense
10. Michigan - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
11. New Jersey - ALREADY ON LOCKDOWN
12. Virginia - UVa, and makes academic sense
13. Washington - Univ. of Washington

Again, by simply adding USC, UCLA, and Washington, and with invitations to UM, GaTech, UNC/Duke, and UVa (and possibly Syracuse), the Big 10 would be able to get MASSIVE carriage fees from cable networks for either 11 or 12 of the 13 largest states (by population).

Makes too much sense. Now, if some porsters would just stop yapping about the 10-year records of, say, West Virginia, or the NY6 bowl history of, say, Cincinnati.

Horrible past (and possibly present) ACC leadership...

Original Big 12 grant of rights - expiring soon. Original Pac 12 grant of rights - expiring soon. Original ACC grant of rights - HEY, GUYSM, WE'VE GOT TEN MORE YEARS BEYOND THE BIG 12/PAC 12!!!

We created and ratified a document that, definitionally, puts us in a straightjacket in case the college football landscape shifts again...

...and, right on cue, the college football landscape is shifting again...

Advertisement
True. But go back to the Big 10 Network deal, they get "enhanced" carriage fees any time they go into a new state.

And which is why FLORIDA generally, and Miami SPECIFICALLY, have a good shot of being next on-deck.

1. California - USC/UCLA - largest state (by population, in case that nutjob porster who thinks we are talking about square mileage is still around)

Again, by simply adding USC, UCLA, and Washington, and with invitations to UM, GaTech, UNC/Duke, and UVa (and possibly Syracuse), the Big 10 would be able to get MASSIVE carriage fees from cable networks for either 11 or 12 of the 13 largest states (by population).

Makes too much sense. Now, if some porsters would just stop yapping about the 10-year records of, say, West Virginia, or the NY6 bowl history of, say, Cincinnati.
You're assuming the Big 10 would rather have a University of Miami as it starts its ascension in a major media market than FSU who's mired in mediocracy in the middle of Tallahassee?

Not to mention we would make sense academically as well. We are just as highly ranked as most of the Big 10 schools. I don’t see the AAU thing as a huge issue; if it is, Miami will have a clear path to join in the future as we are a pretty extensive research institution as well.

Not to mention we would make sense academically as well. We are just as highly ranked as most of the Big 10 schools. I don’t see the AAC thing as a huge issue; if it is, Miami will have a clear path to join in the future as we are a pretty extensive research institution as well.
Is this the Freudian slip? This conference is where the sediment will settle. I think you mean AAU.

Lol all the ACC teams aren’t going to the Big 10/ SEC. There is going to be major collateral damage. The majority are going to get left out IMO. No one wants our dregs. Miami, FSU, Clemson, and UNC are the primary candidates. And I’m not even 1000% that were ok.

So all those teams that would be left out are going to try to keep the TV deal and the conference intact.
From 2015-2019, Miami was 23rd in most watched college football programs. Source here. Clemson was 9th and FSU was 14th. The writer acknowledges the data isn't super clean but that's at the very least directional data.

In 2021, Miami was 35th. Yikes. Source here.

If you take the orange and green glasses off then there are some underlying concerns about how attractive we are. But I still think our brand would be way too appealing for the SEC and B1G to pass up. Especially if we're consistently winning 9-10 games a year...they'd be chomping on the bit to get access to that type of content.

Advertisement
Back