USC and UCLA to B1G

If the ACC gets to 16 teams they redo the contract? So line up 4 teams I don't care who and when they start to negotiate a new deal tell them to politely go eff themselves and go wherever we choose with no grant of rights or exit fee issues.

Advertisement
Are we really supposed to believe that with all this movement the cfp will actually wait til 2026 to expand
Exactly. That'll magically be moved up to 2024 now. They'll probably go to a 12 team playoff- which is 4 too many but we live in a time of pure chaos.

Its an espn problem. Good news is that Disney is hemorrhaging money right now and I think they'd love to dump the acc deal, which hasn't given them the revenue they thought they'd get. Hypothetically, let's say Radakovich had a chat with his Clemson counterpart, and both went to talk with The Mouse. They said *wink wink* “We're leaving the ACC, paying the buyout and giving up the TV money per the grant of rights." The Mouse would likely fist pump and say thank you for the contract out, then pretend to be upset to keep the lawyers happy. They'd make a big public show of being angry about not getting value for the contract, then end the deal with ACC ASAP so they could shift the money to the SEC ( FSU and UNC would also feign anger, but would really be ecstatic to get out of the ACC) No TV deal ends the ACC, and then that also wipes out the GOR problem.

The ACC (16 teams) have an agreement with ESPN. A contract. If things get very dicey and it seems that the Miami's, Clemson's and FSU's of the world are trying to leave, you better believe that these scrub programs are going to hold on to that suddenly valuable contract with everything they have because not only will it be the last major contract they ever see, but they will be able to use it to keep us. Every school not offered by the SEC/Big 10 would vote to preserve it if there was a motion to accept an out from ESPN.

And Miami, Clemson and FSU can't leave without being released from the media grant of rights, which might be a nine figure problem or worse for each school.

Basically the rest of the ACC will not let go of us, nor will they agree to nullify the contract.

I get what you are saying, but unfortunately there has to be an orderly unwinding, and the order of things is what would prevent this.

Happy to be wrong, but as of today, logically, nah.

Miami is going to be in a position to have choices. Miami has the 7th largest metropolitan area in the US and we know the fanbase extends beyond Miami Metro. However, most of the other larger metro areas outside of LA and Chicago, don't have team affiliations. Dallas hand Houston are divided among many Texas teams.​
The SEC would want to court Miami and FSU. That would put the entire state of Florida under the SEC umbrella. It would have Miami, FSU, and UF playing each other every year. Tickets and tv viewing would sky rocket.​
With the investment in football, Miami is putting itself in great position when the next shift in conference alignment takes place.​

Advertisement
Advertisement
A couple of ways to break it. First the realistic way:

UM (or preferably several ACC schools) announces in the next few weeks it is in talks to leave the conference. Doesn't even have to be true. If UM says it is planning to leave for the B1G, the SEC may make a counter offer (if announce leaving for SEC, then vice versa) . It starts the bidding wars. That also signals to the other schools the ACC is a dying conference. ESPN is the key player, I think they'd love to dump the ACC for an expanded SEC. If the biggest acc draws all say they are planning on paying the buyout, forfeiting the TV rights per the current agreement , and leaving the acc (again, doesn't have to be true), espn may demand changes to the TV deal and will be jump at the chance of canceling the deal. Basically, the threat of leaving gives ESPN the out it absolutely wants, and then espn does the dirty work for UM and terminates the TV deal. No TV deal means no conference. No conference means no grant of rights. Have to play dirty, but this is a game of life or death.
I don’t think it’s as simple as you’re saying. The grant of rights is among the ACC schools, irrespective of ESPN. But ESPN also has a contract with the ACC that they can’t just walk out of. It would be a cut and dry lawsuit.

The reality is somehow the ACC started all of this by getting FSU and then Miami, VT, BC and Pitt… and then just stopped being a hunter. Right when they needed to force ND’s hand or tell them to take a hike and get a couple of others, they went passive and lacked any national vision. I actually had hope with the new commish but I think it’s too late.

Have to agree with this. Miami/Nebraska have met 4 times in the Orange Bowl and twice in regular season over the past nearly 40 years. Miami has played Child Molestor U close to that same amount of times in that same timeframe so to me BIG would be a good fit. The majority of the games with these schools there was a lot at stake. Playing BC and Louisville, not so much.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back